Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sony to begin Stooge DVD sets

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-10, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Sony to begin Stooge DVD sets

The Stooges were so great that I would get the whole set of shorts just to have them all.
I realize Joe was horrible but eventually I would buy them all just because they were the Stooges.
Old 05-27-10, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Second Spin broke street date & had a new copy of Volume 8 in today. Interesting, they used 3 slimcases instead of two, so this set is a little wider than the others...
Old 05-27-10, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Costco also began selling Vol. 8 this week. Price is $16.99.
Old 05-28-10, 12:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocacoladude78
I've been watching some of the Joe Bessar shorts and feature films from the 60's for the very first time. I stopped watching younger, so never made it this far previously.

They are absolutely horrible! Just horrible... It's like having a screwdriver driving straight through my skull.

Now, I enjoyed the 30's/40's Curly shorts like most people in this thread -- when I was a kid. But, I thought Shemp 40's/50's shorts was very average. Not absolutely horrible, but average... This is about the time I stopped watching. During the Shemp period.

However, maybe I should take that back. I never realized how awful these things would actually get in the 50's/60's. They suck and are nearly unwatchable! Swengoulie in Chicago (as his normal self) plays Three Stooges shorts on Saturday nights.

-- They rival Life with Lucy (the '86 show the sent Lucille Ball into a mass depression; she wouldn't leave her house) on the level of worthless dribble. --

1. They ruined the Addams Family with Addams Family 3 and that ghastly mid-late 90's series!

2. Who could forget the atrocious Musters Today 80's and those awful Munsters feature films.

3. Lucy started loosing it mid-way of The Lucy Show -- after Vivian Vance quit, the original I Love Lucy creators all left, and all the kids were fired.

and now the Stooges... Wow, these things suck.
Your post is one of the best of read in DVDTALK.
It convinced me not to buy the last stooges set.
Old 05-28-10, 01:27 AM

wm lopez,I was going to do the same thing.But found out, that this set also has the final shemp shorts on here as well.So I still have to purchase it, maybe not right away , but definitely sometime this year.
Old 05-28-10, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think I've ever seen a Joe Besser short. I was originally going to stop when Curly left but when watching the Shemp shorts on that volume they were better than I remembered. So I guess I'll give this volume a try too since I've bought all the others.
Old 05-31-10, 05:10 PM

The big day is very near. Five years ago it would have been beyond unthinkable that all 190 shorts would be restored and released in order. The day that completes the release of all 190 shorts is a day Stooge fans have been waiting for for many years. Gone are the days crappy bootlegs and edited television copies.

Some of the Besser's aren't bad and are actually solid: MERRY MIX UP, FLYING SAUCER DAFFY and OIL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL are among the best Besser-era shorts. Besser can't hold a candle to Shemp or Curly, but most of the "Besser 16" are better than their reputation.

Of the 32 shorts on this set, none were ever released on DVD and only a handful were ever out on VHS.
Old 06-11-10, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hadn't seen a Besser short since I was a kid, and based on opinion here, I was afraid I may not find them funny anymore... I have to say, I still find his "sissy" stooge a riot, and prefer his shorts to the Shemp shorts.... Save "Blunder Boys," that's a great Shemp short.... Very glad to finally have that one as well....
Old 06-11-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 650 Posts

Anyone think they may release the entire series in one set? I have yet to pick any up and was thinking about nabbing them all at once but may wait if a set may be coming. They are going for around 15 bucks a pop in the DD sale so grabbing them all would be approx $120.

And is there a definitive Three Stooges shorts book kind of like Leonard Maltin's Rascal's book?
Old 06-12-10, 06:38 AM

i have seen all of them at Costco for $12.99 each
Old 06-12-10, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
And is there a definitive Three Stooges shorts book kind of like Leonard Maltin's Rascal's book?
Take your pick...Quick search on Amazon yielded the following:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=The+Three+Stooges

But this might be the book you are looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Three-Stooges-Filmography-Companion/dp/0971186804/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276355295&sr=1-29

--John

Last edited by JSwarce; 06-12-10 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-12-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 650 Posts

I already did that. I was looking for opinions from people here who have an actual book like the one I described. Lots of books there but I don't easily see one that is similar to Maltin's format for the Rascals since I can't peruse them all. Maltin does a great job in his Rascals book which is part biography, filmography, and trivia. I was just hoping for some personal opinions if there was a similar book for the Stooges.
Old 06-12-10, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I already did that. I was looking for opinions from people here who have an actual book like the one I described. Lots of books there but I don't easily see one that is similar to Maltin's format for the Rascals since I can't peruse them all. Maltin does a great job in his Rascals book which is part biography, filmography, and trivia. I was just hoping for some personal opinions if there was a similar book for the Stooges.
I have most Stooge books printed and The Complete Three Stooges would be what you're looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Three...6375109&sr=1-1
Old 06-17-10, 04:16 PM
Cool New Member

I bought vol8 at Best Buy for like $18. Later I saw it at Walmart for $20. A week later it was $13.

I hadn't seen the Joe episodes in so long because I hated them so much, plus the lack of being able to find them on recorded media. I do find now, however, that Joe isn't really so bad (the majority of his "flaw" being that he was just so radically different from the others). Oh sure he's worse than Shemp and Curly, but he's not as awful as I once thought him. I did hear that he didn't want Moe to hit him, and I think that was a chronic weakness in his comedic contributions to the team, but when you have Moe and Larry still in the team, it's not quite so bad. And it's not like Joe doesn't get hit at all, and if you are like me and had swallowed the idea that Joe never got hit, it is surprising that he does get hit quite a few times.
Old 06-17-10, 05:52 PM
Banned

Is Joe considered bad from the PC crowd?
Old 06-17-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

The one thing I like about the Joes is a few have some cool looking monsters. I believe Dan Blocker is the monster in one of them.
Old 06-17-10, 06:14 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Is Joe considered bad from the PC crowd?
Probably not, or at least not as much as the prior Stooges.
Old 06-17-10, 06:16 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by rw2516
The one thing I like about the Joes is a few have some cool looking monsters. I believe Dan Blocker is the monster in one of them.
Here's something freaky for you, though it doesn't concern Joe. When the Stooges made the movie about the rocket with Curly Joe, the monsters in that (aliens) resembled very strongly what a classmate of mine looked like after he fell off the slide and landed on his head when we were in the 1st grade; just horrible.
Old 06-17-10, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe rocked as Stinky on the A&C TV Show, but as Joe, he was just OK, but we knew the Stooges run would be coming to an end and Curly Joe...forget about it.
Old 06-18-10, 10:20 AM
Cool New Member

Yes I did see him elsewhere and thought he was pretty funny, but sometimes I wonder if when I saw him it was just a matter of seeing a familiar face and just giving him more credit than he deserved. OTOH, I recall as a kid being very pleasantly surprised at the Stooges inclusion in Four Across Texas, but after seeing it again after many years, though you like seeing them in something outside of stoogedom, it didn't even seem they were registered as funny though it seems they did try something.

Too bad the Stooges never got a break and got bigtime like Abbott and Costello, where they could be a big part of a movie. They made had been contractually obligated to stay out of movies in there heyday anyway, but you sure would like to have seen more of them. OTOH, it's maybe better they stayed out of movies, because it probably would had turned into one of those stupid comedic musicals that was quite common for the period (Abbott and Costello). I see A&C nowadays and I can hardly stand them thanks to all that subpar musical garbage tacked on.
Old 06-24-10, 04:48 PM
Cool New Member

Talk about madness, I saw the Stooges vol8 for $20 again at Walmart and they still had only 2 copies out there. What's the odds that they sold what they had out there and this was 2 different copies? It's not often that you don't sell a single copy of something and then you raise the price over 50%.
Old 06-24-10, 06:37 PM

I have nothing else to add other than I FINALLY bought the first 2 Volumes. Can't wait to watch them.
Old 06-24-10, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Charles 22
Too bad the Stooges never got a break and got bigtime like Abbott and Costello, where they could be a big part of a movie. They made had been contractually obligated to stay out of movies in there heyday anyway, but you sure would like to have seen more of them.
They did get to do six original feature films after the shorts ended, and their last, The Outlaws Is Coming, is well-regarded by some.

Originally Posted by Charles 22
OTOH, it's maybe better they stayed out of movies, because it probably would had turned into one of those stupid comedic musicals that was quite common for the period (Abbott and Costello). I see A&C nowadays and I can hardly stand them thanks to all that subpar musical garbage tacked on.
It is true that Snow White and The Three Stooges was more musical fantasy than comedy. But as per Abbott & Costello's musical numbers, you may call them garbage because you don't like the music, but there are some who can appreciate The Andrews Sisters, Ella Fitzgerald, Dick Powell or Jimmy Dorsey.
Old 06-25-10, 09:15 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by djskyler
They did get to do six original feature films after the shorts ended, and their last, The Outlaws Is Coming, is well-regarded by some.

It is true that Snow White and The Three Stooges was more musical fantasy than comedy. But as per Abbott & Costello's musical numbers, you may call them garbage because you don't like the music, but there are some who can appreciate The Andrews Sisters, Ella Fitzgerald, Dick Powell or Jimmy Dorsey.
I probably actually saw all the Stooge movies at one time or another. They were okay, but rather dull for Stooges films.

What can I say, I like music, and big band was one of my favorites for quite a while, but I never liked the Andrews Sisters and even music I like usually conflicts with comedy. For the 30-45 minutes they spent on music, so called music anyway, A&C could had been doing more comedy. I can't recall if the Stooges Snow White movie had me irritated with the music as usual, probably in the Stooges' case, since their comedy was at that stage fairly inept, they could do silly dances and probably actually made what little comedy there was, better. Can't say the same for A&C, since they were very funny without the music, and the music just took away from the comedy very badly.

Funny thing to think about it, but I wonder how many people are like me in that. Another musical I dreaded the music on, come to think of shorter fare, was The Partridge Family. They really were funny without the music, and I actually liked their music. I want plot on tv, not music. I have 3 cd's of the Partridges, but can't stand to listen to it out of it's place on tv. Weird too, that when those Time/Life collections or the Soul Train collections they are advertising on tv come on, I can barely tear myself away from the tv, but at least there's no plot getting in the way. It's true, I may not be able to go through an entire song if I see the singers and those collections are just snippets. I suppose I'm also hypnotized by the glimpse back into the past they give me. Seeing a rerun of Lawrence Welk, OTOH, would just make me sick.

The only movie I can think of off the top of my head that the music fit, was Pink Floyd The Wall, but then it was done with such a surreal feel to it, it's almost as though there was no plot to bother it, which in my eyes made it more or less just music in it's place (not seen).

I suppose to qualify my view even more, I would say that I can't generally stand to see singers sing, but the same as background music is just fine. It must had been th horror of regularly being exposed to only having one tv in my youth, and weekly being forced to either watch Lawrence Welk, or nothing at all. Uuuugh, just thinking of that show makes my skin crawl! Lawrence was a cool guy, but the music was atrocious, and seeing them sing it was even worse (those gross syrupy smiles making it even worse. Oh how I wanted to attack Bobby and Sissy). I do recall the Welk troupe made a couple of top 40 songs in the 60's - 70's though, and they were good. It's a shame they forgot how to make music while the show ran.

Now y'all can stop laughing. Save it for The Stooges Collection.

Last edited by Charles 22; 06-25-10 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-29-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has there been word on another volume collecting the films?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.