Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Official GRINDHOUSE Page (Death Proof - 9/18; Planet Terror - 10/16)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official GRINDHOUSE Page (Death Proof - 9/18; Planet Terror - 10/16)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-07, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Well, I ordered the exclusive with in-store pick-up from Best Buy this morning and picked it up this evening only to find that they had pulled the regular edition. Naturally, they had sold out of the exclusives.

They refunded my money and gave me a rain check, but I'm not holding my breath on them getting restocked. I went ahead and ordered it from another store (maybe they'll pull the right edition) and am going to pick it up on my way out of town this weekend.

If it turns out this store screws up, too, I'm just going to call it quits. I drove all around town for the Wal-Mart Hot Fuzz exclusive, but that's because I love that movie and the extras really were worth it (well, before they announced the 3 disc set they were). Death Proof is a blind buy for me; I may end up not liking the thing.
Old 09-18-07, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
the girl working the return desk was being a real bitch about it, so I went across the street to get the regular 2 disc at circuit city, and will be mailing back the defective steelbook.
I had a similar situation with an item I order from Bestbuy.com.. Indecently, it was a steelbook item also. For some reason, they put the security tag underneath a disc and it got scratched up.. When I took it in, the guy at the desk mentioned something similar that it should be mailed back, but did something like return it with no receipt and let me grab another one..

That one also was scratched and I had to deal with the publisher to get it exchanged, but that's a different story..
Later
Old 09-18-07, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by mrhappi79
You might wanna try the Pico location just because I'm sure they'll be getting more copies in than other ones. The Westwood one is most likely sold out. They only had about 4 left around 11.
With all this talk of flimsy steelbooks and Best Buy potentially screwing us on the PT steelbook, I figure it'll just be easier to keep the non sb version.
Thanks anyway though, the Pico BB is less crazy than the Weho one, that's for sure.
Old 09-18-07, 07:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Geauxn
I'm hoping BB doesn't try to screw everyone on the PT 5$ coupon and say it's not for the steelbook.
...or try to say that you can't use the coupon on the first week sale price...but I bet they will!
Old 09-18-07, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
...or try to say that you can't use the coupon on the first week sale price...but I bet they will!
IDK, this is a manufacterer's coupon and will get reimburst for the $5.
Old 09-18-07, 08:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's how most/ALL coupons work, but that doesn't mean some dickwad clerk won't tell you that you can't use the coupon & get the sale price, too....it never fails.
Old 09-18-07, 08:37 PM

It'd be funny if the flimsy steelbook cover was done on purpose to fit in with the tattered-looking cover design to go with that whole "old 70's stuff" theme. But probably not. Mine's not too bad; just feels flimsy, but holds together just fine.
Old 09-18-07, 08:51 PM

Question for anyone who might know - while going by Blockbuster tonight, I saw they had a Deathproof "Now available" display sign in the window saying "Blockbuster Exclusive" and "Bonus Footage!" or something along those lines. Does anyone know if the blockbuster versions have anything not found in the retail versions (or if the sign is comparing the movie to the theatrical cuts)?
Old 09-18-07, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
That's how most/ALL coupons work, but that doesn't mean some dickwad clerk won't tell you that you can't use the coupon & get the sale price, too....it never fails.
That's true, but I think if you talk with a manager (though who might also be a dickwad), I think they should honor the coupon. I guess it'll be a YMMV...
Old 09-18-07, 09:20 PM

I was extatic to find a steel book here in Canada (at Futureshop), thing feels like all the other sb's i have as well.
Old 09-18-07, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SPIDERone
Question for anyone who might know - while going by Blockbuster tonight, I saw they had a Deathproof "Now available" display sign in the window saying "Blockbuster Exclusive" and "Bonus Footage!" or something along those lines. Does anyone know if the blockbuster versions have anything not found in the retail versions (or if the sign is comparing the movie to the theatrical cuts)?
i was in blockbuster tonight picking something else out (already have the steelbook), anyways, the back said something about "hot rods" so i assume its a short featurette about the cars in the movie. Also, the bb version is only 1 disc.
Old 09-18-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sure, this is a month away, but looking at the coupon it doesn't say anything about being invalid with exclusives or sales. So if anyone hassles you about it, just spit that back in their face.
Old 09-18-07, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
After much inner-discussion, I made an executive decision. I'm getting the steelbooks now and the eventual Grindhouse super-duper set later.

But I'm not watching Death Proof until I have Planet Terror to watch first.
Old 09-18-07, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SPIDERone
this wouldn't surprise me...i think the wienstein's have a deal with blockbuster. also i remember seeing "this dvd is for sale only" or something along those lines when i watched death proof earlier today which made me think that there must be rental exclusive discs (hence exclusive material).
Old 09-18-07, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Went to Best Buy after work and didn't see any Steelbooks. Just picked up the regular one... I'm starting to get over paying extra for special packaging.
Old 09-18-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Abe, Thanks for the tip on the added slipcase ... got mine this evening at Bestbuy

Originally Posted by Abe.

There ya go...
Old 09-19-07, 12:11 AM

Have a Death Proof Steelbook extra copy if anyone can't find it.
Old 09-19-07, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked up a copy of the steelbook this morning. Like some of the others, mine seems kinda loose, but still stays shut. Not a big deal.
Old 09-19-07, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts
Yeah, I too noticed the somewhat loose nature of the packaging. This is my first Steelbook, man I though this would be the start of a beautiful friendship! Hopefully Planet Terror and Robocop will be more cooperative. >_>

On another note, the "Hi Sallys" feature on Disc 2 was pretty funny.
Old 09-19-07, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up two yesterday (one as a birthday gift) and it looks good, but doesn't seem to be in the same quality as the other steelbooks I have.
Old 09-19-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Not so much, but compared to all the other steel-book cases I have this one for Death Proof is made of a much thinner metal and is a lot more flimsy overall. Saving money, I guess...
I noticed that too. As I was heading to the cash registers with my steelbook, I happened to press in on the front of the steelbook with my thumb and felt it "indent" a bit more a bit than I remember with my other steelbooks. I'll wait a bit before opening it, till I get some confirmation that Future Shop will be offering the same steelbook packaging for Planet Terror. If not, I'll just return it (or maybe sell it) and pick up the regular edition at a store where I have credit left over.
Old 09-19-07, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by huffer4

Originally Posted by rhcp1214
and i love how they included 5 bucks off Planet Terror
Not in Canada
That sucks.
Old 09-19-07, 08:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
as for the bonus disc content, you can tell this was done for TV because some of the language is bleeped and there's hardly any blood from the few scenes that feature 'Planet Terror' footage.

'hi sally'

Old 09-19-07, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
as for the bonus disc content, you can tell this was done for TV because some of the language is bleeped and there's hardly any blood from the few scenes that feature 'Planet Terror' footage.

'hi sally'

i was surprised that there was footage from Death Proof on the extra disc that wasnt even in the extended cut
Old 09-19-07, 09:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by haleyxvader
i was surprised that there was footage from Death Proof on the extra disc that wasnt even in the extended cut
even though there's interesting stuff on the second disc, I thought there would have been more extras - like KNB's work, as seen in the 'making of' book.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.