DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Two-Lane Blacktop Criterion confirmed! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/505324-two-lane-blacktop-criterion-confirmed.html)

Jon Hertzberg 07-03-07 07:57 AM

Two-Lane Blacktop Criterion confirmed!

Via Indiewire:

In town to screen his 1971 road trip masterpiece "Two-Lane Blacktop," director Monte Hellman gave one of the best intros I've ever seen. He started off with a little joke: "Most filmmakers usually do not have the time to think about what the film is about; when people ask me I usually say about an hour and three quarters..." Many yuks ensued! To the delight of film fans everywhere, Hellman also announced an upcoming two-disc DVD from the Criterion Collection, for which he's been shooting new documentary material, including an interview with Kris Kristofferson about how his song, Me and Bobby McGee, and how its themes of freedom have become so closely associated with the film. Hellman also discussed the fact that because of the nature of the film, he was able to shoot it in sequence, but only gave the script to the actors page by page. Star James Taylor was not exactly enamored by that approach and "about halfway through the film [he] became upset about this and said he would mutiny and would not act any more unless I gave him the script," recounted Hellman, continuing "I gave him the script and he never read it. To this day he still has not seen the film." [Mark Rabinowitz]

CharlieK 07-03-07 08:08 AM

Wonderful news!

Zen Peckinpah 07-03-07 09:33 AM

Wow. Just wow. I really wasn't expecting this to be re-released any time soon, let alone by Criterion. Great movie from the counterculture era, with the severely underrated Warren Oates.

Criterion has really been pulling out all their might recently IMO. If..., House of Games, Stranger Than Paradise, Days of Heaven, and now this. Very cool.

What I want next, however, is for Universal to license Lost Highway out to Criterion.

slop101 07-03-07 09:44 AM

I love this fuckin' movie! I had missed the 2-month window that the Anchor Bay dvd was available for, and I wasn't about to spend over $200 for it afterwards, so this is great news - especially since I'm sure this'll be much better than the AB dvd was.

Geofferson 07-03-07 10:14 AM

This is great news...I remember buying the VHS tin of this way back when!

Reading the blurb above, surprised to hear that James Taylor has still never seen this.

Deke Rivers 07-03-07 11:08 AM

Time to sell off my limited edition tin while I can

lcnickell 07-03-07 05:52 PM

i sold my tin 2 months ago on ebay, in hopes of a rerelease.

got $125 for it .

CHA-CHING.

PopcornTreeCt 07-03-07 08:07 PM

I read a rumor that it might come out as early as October. I would think if he knows it's already going to be 2-discs it will be coming out soon. Very cool.

Julie Walker 07-03-07 10:31 PM

The AB release really went for that much? Damn I sold it off a few years ago while it was still OOP since I didn't like the movie at all. And I only got $27 for it! Oh well,at least I only paid $20 for it new!

Cameron 07-04-07 11:35 AM

I love this movie. Keeping the tin and buying this as well

the narrator 07-04-07 12:46 PM

wow, I had no idea the tin sold for that much, i think i got about $25 for it a few years ago :(

good that it is being rereleased though

mikelowry 07-05-07 05:50 AM

Never saw this movie before. This would be an interesting buy.

FILMCZY 07-05-07 11:01 AM

But can Criterion match the groovy key-chain that came with the AB tin?

inri222 07-05-07 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
What I want next, however, is for Universal to license Lost Highway out to Criterion.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

man*machine 07-05-07 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah

They could do a Universal three-pack with TWO-LANE BLACKTOP, LOST HIGHWAY, and THE CAR.

islandclaws 07-05-07 12:01 PM

I hope this lowers the price on the OOP AB tin a little more. I want this on Criterion, of course, but I only need one more AB tin to have them all and this is the one. Still I'll probably just get this edition since no one does it better than Criterion for discs.

vcuram 07-11-07 11:40 PM

Maybe Criterion could release Hellman's Cockfighter as well. That's one of my favorites.

Cameron 07-12-07 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by vcuram
Maybe Criterion could release Hellman's Cockfighter as well. That's one of my favorites.

I'd love that.

Abe. 07-12-07 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
I love this movie. Keeping the tin and buying this as well

Same here. The tin was limited to only 15,000 pieces. You could probably hold both the Anchor Bay, and Criterion discs in the tin.

Geofferson 07-12-07 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
I'd love that.

Perhaps a Waren Oates double feature with the inclusion of China 9, Liberty 37

Chucky 07-12-07 07:22 PM

Confirmation confirmed!

http://www.criterion.com/newsletters.../wackycar1.jpg

Zen Peckinpah 07-12-07 07:42 PM

Excellent.

NoirFan 07-12-07 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Perhaps a Waren Oates double feature with the inclusion of China 9, Liberty 37

Love to see this title on DVD. For all that haven't seen Cockfighter, it's still available on Netflix, though the DVD is OOP.

Cameron 07-13-07 02:23 PM

i never payed the money for cockfighter, but i could have sworn i saw it in a dollar dvd section somewhere...and forgot where. I hope someone gets it out soon

slowcloud 06-20-11 09:30 PM

Re: Two-Lane Blacktop Criterion confirmed!

We're having a special screening for Two-Lane at a local theater 'round my parts of Miami where Hellman will appear via "Skype." I got to interview Hellman ahead of it for my blog. I t was awesome to just chat about this movie with the man that made it. Check it out (and if you're in the area make sure you check it out. Though it will be projected from DVD, it will be great to see on the big screen with Hellman to talk about it after:
http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2011...hos-interview/

animatedude 02-27-12 04:51 PM

is this going out of print?

manicsounds 02-27-12 08:30 PM

Where did you get the idea of this going out of print?

animatedude 02-28-12 04:29 AM

because it's not in stock in amazon and on back order in bestbuy