Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Old 06-19-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet. Now my decision to sell off my first season set + pilot on ebay is entirely justified.
Old 06-20-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by caiman
Sweet. Now my decision to sell off my first season set + pilot on ebay is entirely justified.
I disagree. The fanatastic extras on that first Artisan set will never be seen again. That is one set I am holding onto regardless of how many new editions are released.
Old 06-20-07, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by caiman
Did the same thing here. I may watch extras once but will watch the series a few times.
Old 06-20-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
This will be a blind-buy for me.

Ditto

I have always wanted to watch this series, but with the first season missing the pilot I always held off watching it.
Old 06-20-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've never seen this, but I may pick this up.
Old 06-20-07, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by FILMCZY
I mean how much can it cost to upgrade deleted scenes for god sake especially when they know the more special features they include, the more fans will want to purchase the set. Isn't that basic business/marketing sense?
"Upgrading" the deleted scenes is not as easy as it sounds. David Lynch is being quite unreasonable about the whole thing. It isn't just a matter of taking the existing deleted footage and putting it on a disc, which any studio would be willing to do and any fan would be perfectly satisfied with. Lynch is insisting that each scene be restored from the original negative, re-edited from scratch, re-color timed, and re-sound designed. He wants to make brand new short films out of each scene. Considering his working method, that's a long, expensive process that the studio simply cannot justify.

The great irony is that he's insisting on the absolute highest standards of presentation quality for these damn deleted scenes, meanwhile his last feature film and all of his stupid web projects look like garbage.
Old 06-20-07, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by auto
I disagree. The fanatastic extras on that first Artisan set will never be seen again.
Fine by me. Have you watched those Season 1 extras lately? They're pretty bad. And amateurish. And not particularly insightful.
Old 06-20-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
"Upgrading" the deleted scenes is not as easy as it sounds. David Lynch is being quite unreasonable about the whole thing. It isn't just a matter of taking the existing deleted footage and putting it on a disc, which any studio would be willing to do and any fan would be perfectly satisfied with. Lynch is insisting that each scene be restored from the original negative, re-edited from scratch, re-color timed, and re-sound designed. He wants to make brand new short films out of each scene. Considering his working method, that's a long, expensive process that the studio simply cannot justify.

The great irony is that he's insisting on the absolute highest standards of presentation quality for these damn deleted scenes, meanwhile his last feature film and all of his stupid web projects look like garbage.
Yes, that's particularly frustrating.

With "Fire Walk With Me," everyone wanted those deleted scenes released... New Line wanted to include them on the DVD, the (few) fans of the movie wanted them... it's Lynch that's holding out.

"Fire Walk With Me" was pretty much a box office flop, it's a confusing, pointless mess if you're unfamiliar with the series, and even more than a few Twin Peaks fans hate it. So there's just no way that anyone wants to hand Lynch a huge chunk of cash so he can dick around with a bunch of deleted scenes. It's one thing to spend a lot of money to restore an actual movie; it's another to sink the same amount into what amounts to supplemental material.

And it's really unfortunate to see that the same thing is happening with the Twin Peaks series as well.
Old 06-20-07, 09:59 AM

If the plan is as it seems, the studio really is just going to be providing a higher quality version of the pilot for fans to bootleg. After buying S1 and S2 separately and with the extras for the Gold Box seeming pretty lackluster, I refuse to upgrade, unless there is some astounding update, which I find hard to imagine at this point.

At this point, I can't wait for someone to rip the remastered pilot and torrent it. You hear that Paramount?
Old 06-20-07, 10:17 AM

I'll get it, because I didn't pick up Season 1 due to lack of pilot. If it's all there, I'll get it.
Old 06-20-07, 11:14 AM

I have the Catalyst Logic DVD of the pilot episode, I bought the Artisan DVD of the first season for ridiculously cheap (seriously, for like less than $20 I think) when it was still in print, I picked up the second season on release day, and I have Fire Walk with Me as well. I'll gladly upgrade to a nice box set as long as it doesn't leave off anything from the previous releases (I'm fine with it if the DTS tracks from the Artisan DVD don't reappear, but if the audio commentaries are dropped, or something like that, I might be hesitant). Also if something significant gets added (the deleted scenes or some sort of feature-length retrospective about the series, or something with Lynch himself... maybe like what he did for the Short Films and Eraserhead discs), I'd happily buy this. I also hope that the cover art changes and the set gets renamed. But I'm not going to unload what I have just yet... it wouldn't surprise me at all if the release gets delayed or if it winds up being just a repackaging of what's already available.
Old 06-20-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ethan VanSciver
Yeah, I'm confused by the "Gold Box" choice. Red curtains, or a cherry pie, or any number of things would have been more appropriate packaging.

Oh, I'll buy it. Sigh.
"Gold" as in silver, gold, platinum, etc. And I love the dark clouds over the naked trees - very disquieting look.
Old 06-20-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sold!
Old 06-20-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will be buying this set, as I have never bought any of the previous releases.

The one thing that drives me up the wall with releases like this is not including everything that was included in previous sets (I know, still TBD for this release.)

I understand that sometimes rights change and all that good stuff, but it would be absolutely ridiculous to call something "definitive" if it doesn't actually contain all the extra material that is out there. It's like calling something a "complete series" when it is missing episodes (which happens more than one would think.)
Old 06-20-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the original 1st season, and when it was hot on eBay I sold it, figuring I'd wait and get the complete series. Which never arrived. Then Season 2 showed up, and I figured why buy it, since I don't have Season 1 anymore (except for all of it on off-the-air VHS).

Now this. As someone once said .... all's well that ends well.
Old 06-20-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 948 Likes on 670 Posts
Originally Posted by auto
I disagree. The fanatastic extras on that first Artisan set will never be seen again. That is one set I am holding onto regardless of how many new editions are released.

I'm not an expert on DVD rights or how the Paramount/Artisan rights transfer went down or anything like that, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

I own the r3 Korean Season 1 box set. The set is almost identical to the Artisan set except it includes the pilot, drops the DTS tracks and reshuffles some of the content on the discs due to the inclusion of the pilot. Everything else is the same, including the packaging. This is relevant because CBS/Paramount distributed this set and has always had international distribution rights. Their logos are prominently displayed all over the r3 package with no mention of Artisan anywhere.

The point being, I don't know if Paramount simply licensed Artisan's set for Int. distribution, or if they bought all of the extra content from Artisan, but I don't think it's out of the question that the "Gold Box" will include the original season 1 extras. I'm not saying they definitely will be included, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.
Old 06-20-07, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
count me among those that did not by the R1 set because it lacked the pilot and subsequently did not by the s2 set. i'm in the for this set.
Old 06-20-07, 06:36 PM

What are the deleted scenes mentioned in the first post? Is it simply the european pilot or is a tape of deleted scenes from the show circulating?
Old 06-20-07, 09:36 PM

this set is going to be HAWT

love this series and have only ever watched it on my small computer monitor.

cant wait.
Old 06-21-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Case01
What are the deleted scenes mentioned in the first post? Is it simply the european pilot or is a tape of deleted scenes from the show circulating?
They are scenes from the entire series that are circulating. You can find them easily (eBay, etc.).
Old 06-21-07, 08:16 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I passed on the current DVD...will be picking this one up.
Old 06-21-07, 09:34 AM

Does anyone know who owns the rights to the international "Twin Peaks" movie? I believe it's the pilot episode that reveals the killer at the end. I doubt it will ever be released on dvd though I think it was released on laserdisc by Warner Brothers.

From IMdB:
The pilot was originally shown as one two-hour TV movie, but was later broken into a two-part episode for the series. There was also a theatrical version of the pilot released in Europe.
Old 06-21-07, 10:22 AM
mxv

Is the pilot episode in this pending box set the original one and not the tainted one with the extra footage revealing the killer? If so, then I'll gladly double dip. Twin Peaks is my favorite show of all time.
Old 06-21-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mxv
Is the pilot episode in this pending box set the original one and not the tainted one with the extra footage revealing the killer? If so, then I'll gladly double dip. Twin Peaks is my favorite show of all time.
No, they're not so dumb as to put the bastardized European version of the pilot in this set revealing the killer before you get to Episode 1 of the first season.
Old 06-21-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z

Is it possible that David Lynch doesn't want the deleted scenes released at all and rather than looking like a complete dick to his fans he comes up with the unreasonable excuse of restoring the scenes knowing full well that the studio will never go for it?

Lynch wins either way, he doesn't look like a prick to his fans, his scenes stay in the vault, and the studio is made to look like the unreasonable ones.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.