Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Old 06-21-07, 01:40 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,099
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Is it possible that David Lynch doesn't want the deleted scenes released at all and rather than looking like a complete dick to his fans he comes up with the unreasonable excuse of restoring the scenes knowing full well that the studio will never go for it?

Lynch wins either way, he doesn't look like a prick to his fans, his scenes stay in the vault, and the studio is made to look like the unreasonable ones.
If that were his plan, it isn't working. Most of his fans do think he looks like a prick about this.
Josh Z is offline  
Old 06-21-07, 01:44 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Marina Del Rey, California
Posts: 9,678
Never seen Twin Peaks. But I guess after years and years of recommendations now I have no reason not to pick this up.
starseed1981 is offline  
Old 06-21-07, 03:09 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,429
Originally Posted by Josh Z
If that were his plan, it isn't working. Most of his fans do think he looks like a prick about this.
Not all of us.

While I'm fascinated to see the "Fire Walk With Me" deleted scenes - as I was with those from "Dune" - in most instances I prefer that these remain, as they say, "on the cutting room floor". I suspect there are some intriguing remnants from "Blue Velvet", but as I believe it's a perfect film already and so edited into its final form by Lynch, I believe these can only detract from the finished work. At least for myself.

The situation is of course quite different when it comes to forced cuts, as in "Dune". But, even here, the attempt to re-edit the film - save for the initial sequences on Arrakis that followed the shooting script - was a complete failure. Similarly, the deleted scenes included on the new disc would have been much more appreciated had they been "completed" (and, for that matter, anamorphically-enhanced). Hearing Lynch intone the chanted Bene Geserit response off-camera, or failing to stick a starfield in the background of the long-form intro make these sequences far less interesting than they would be with even the tiniest bit of post-production.

So "prick" is not a word I'd use to describe Lynch. Perfectionist, more likely. Eccentric, perhaps. But "prick"? No. The man has brought too much wonder into my life for me to start hurling epithets his way.
Richard Malloy is offline  
Old 06-21-07, 03:14 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: A National Park
Posts: 4,964
Just to go against the grain and to show not EVERYONE loves this show; me and a few others watched it recentley and NO ONE liked it.

I blind bought season 1 and couldnt wait to see it. After seeing it, Im really dissapointed. It was just a soap opera. Infact I think it was an inside joke at how cheesy and corny it is as the whole town is engulfed in some stupid soap opera within itself. Plus they play that annoying piano music when people die or make out; not to mention everyone is having an affair. We laughed so much at this show. The acting aint that great either. However, I am interested to see how it all ends as I wasted my time seeing S1, I might as well see the rest. Though I consider this a one time view and dont see its attraction.
Ravenous is offline  
Old 06-21-07, 04:01 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
The Antipodean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 6,079
Different strokes for different folks, I guess -- it *is* just a soap opera, of course, but it's the execution that's made it stick in my mind for 15+ years now. Can't wait to pick this up.
The Antipodean is offline  
Old 06-21-07, 04:25 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,099
Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
While I'm fascinated to see the "Fire Walk With Me" deleted scenes - as I was with those from "Dune" - in most instances I prefer that these remain, as they say, "on the cutting room floor". I suspect there are some intriguing remnants from "Blue Velvet", but as I believe it's a perfect film already and so edited into its final form by Lynch, I believe these can only detract from the finished work. At least for myself.
No one is asking for the scenes to be reinstated back into the movie. We'd like to see them as a supplement, a look into the development process of the movie, to see what sort of material was developed but eventually deemed not good enough to make the final cut. To that end, there's no need at all for the footage to be in perfect condition.
Josh Z is offline  
Old 06-21-07, 04:32 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hawkeye Country
Posts: 2,379
Originally Posted by Ravenous
Just to go against the grain and to show not EVERYONE loves this show; me and a few others watched it recentley and NO ONE liked it.

I blind bought season 1 and couldnt wait to see it. After seeing it, Im really dissapointed. It was just a soap opera. Infact I think it was an inside joke at how cheesy and corny it is as the whole town is engulfed in some stupid soap opera within itself. Plus they play that annoying piano music when people die or make out; not to mention everyone is having an affair. We laughed so much at this show. The acting aint that great either. However, I am interested to see how it all ends as I wasted my time seeing S1, I might as well see the rest. Though I consider this a one time view and dont see its attraction.
Oh yeah, this is my favorite show of all time, and I've never even seen it before!

Kidding aside, I will be picking it up as a blind buy. I'm about 98% on blind buys, and I trust most of the opinions of the regulars here on DVDTalk.
Numes is offline  
Old 06-21-07, 11:40 PM
  #58  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 209
I'm going to have to get this and replace my hand-tapped videos! my interest in the show has returned after seeing snipets on the Chiller network.

now I wonder if "On the Air" will ever make it to DVD???
DocBrass is offline  
Old 06-21-07, 11:43 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Legend
 
calhoun07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 14,402
Tapping your videos with your hand is never a good idea.

We need Industrial Symphony on DVD!
calhoun07 is offline  
Old 06-22-07, 02:40 AM
  #60  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Camp Taji,Iraq/Brandon, Fl
Posts: 217
In the dying days of vhs, i managed to complete my Lynch collection with everything imaginable. Now with dvd, the only things I got is Blue Velvet, Elephant Man, Eraserhead (way too expansive) TP S1, TP pilot (crappy quality for the price) and FWWM. I waited on S2 when the rumors of this set came around. Hope they change the cover, it's horrible.
drainout is offline  
Old 06-22-07, 07:10 AM
  #61  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 541
Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Different strokes for different folks, I guess -- it *is* just a soap opera, of course, but it's the execution that's made it stick in my mind for 15+ years now. Can't wait to pick this up.
True, it is very much a soap opera, but with a supernatural killer and a mysticism and pie obsessed FBI agent hunting him down. The overly melodramatic music, affairs, etc. was intentionally so, and an integral part, IMHO, to lace the grim proceedings with a dark sense of humor.

I love it; used to have 20-30 people over every time it was on for viewing parties.
gorgo99 is offline  
Old 06-22-07, 07:27 AM
  #62  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Urbandale, IA 50322
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by gorgo99
True, it is very much a soap opera, but with a supernatural killer and a mysticism and pie obsessed FBI agent hunting him down. The overly melodramatic music, affairs, etc. was intentionally so, and an integral part, IMHO, to lace the grim proceedings with a dark sense of humor.

I love it; used to have 20-30 people over every time it was on for viewing parties.
I'm actually having a regular Twin Peaks night with 4-5 friends to watch the series through to the end. It's better with a few newbies, watching them try to figure out what the heck is going on.
billolmesdahl is offline  
Old 06-22-07, 09:17 AM
  #63  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Berkley, MI
Posts: 5,665
Originally Posted by billolmesdahl
I'm actually having a regular Twin Peaks night with 4-5 friends to watch the series through to the end. It's better with a few newbies, watching them try to figure out what the heck is going on.
My girlfriend and I are both newbies to it and just finished ep12 in season 2. I'm so excited to watch ep13 and 14 tonight!!!
steebo777 is offline  
Old 06-22-07, 09:52 AM
  #64  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,165
Looks like the rumor is indeed an actual future release, so I'll plan to picking up the entire series. The pilot was outstanding.
Sparrow is offline  
Old 06-22-07, 09:21 PM
  #65  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 324
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Is it possible that David Lynch doesn't want the deleted scenes released at all and rather than looking like a complete dick to his fans he comes up with the unreasonable excuse of restoring the scenes knowing full well that the studio will never go for it?

Lynch wins either way, he doesn't look like a prick to his fans, his scenes stay in the vault, and the studio is made to look like the unreasonable ones.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.
He still looks like a prick in my opinion. No one, fans or otherwise, would realistically expect fully restored deleted scenes. Lynch looks like a prick for being so anal about their presentation or for refusing to release them.
waylonsmithers is offline  
Old 06-22-07, 10:40 PM
  #66  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 13,262
I think fans like us, who spend countless hours reading about all release developments might realize that Lynch is being a dick about the whole thing, but I'm guessing casual fans who only hear "the studio refused to put the deleted scenes on the set" will think Lynch is OK and the studio is at fault.
GoldenJCJ is offline  
Old 06-23-07, 03:33 AM
  #67  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,263
Originally Posted by drainout
In the dying days of vhs, i managed to complete my Lynch collection with everything imaginable. Now with dvd, the only things I got is Blue Velvet, Elephant Man, Eraserhead (way too expansive) TP S1, TP pilot (crappy quality for the price) and FWWM. I waited on S2 when the rumors of this set came around. Hope they change the cover, it's horrible.
I was at best buy this week and saw "eraserhead 2000" remastered for 19.99. It was in a regular keepcase.
Oh, and this will also be a blind buy for me.
Rypro 525 is offline  
Old 06-23-07, 08:48 AM
  #68  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 836
I've been watching my copy of the second season but seem to have lost interest since they've revealed who the killer is. I never watched this show when it was on television. Does anyone find that there's little value in watching after this point? The story is so disjointed.
tboogie is offline  
Old 06-23-07, 09:13 AM
  #69  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5
yes! YES! kick ASS. UK release date somebody? please? (its all about Hawk and his magical mullet)
hawksmullet is offline  
Old 06-23-07, 09:40 AM
  #70  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,099
Originally Posted by tboogie
I've been watching my copy of the second season but seem to have lost interest since they've revealed who the killer is. I never watched this show when it was on television. Does anyone find that there's little value in watching after this point? The story is so disjointed.
There's a dip in quality right where you are, especially in the storyline where James leaves town (the low point of the series), but things pick up again towards the end.

You'll need to see the whole series to really comprehend Fire Walk With Me.
Josh Z is offline  
Old 06-23-07, 10:16 AM
  #71  
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 2,806
Heard and read about the hype surrounding the show,b ut never actually saw it. I guess it'll be a blind buy for me.

What's the release date on it?
DVDMagic is offline  
Old 06-23-07, 01:06 PM
  #72  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,348
Originally Posted by Josh Z
No one is asking for the scenes to be reinstated back into the movie. We'd like to see them as a supplement, a look into the development process of the movie, to see what sort of material was developed but eventually deemed not good enough to make the final cut. To that end, there's no need at all for the footage to be in perfect condition.
Would it be easier to get the scenes remastered if they would be cut into an extended version of the film?

It seems like the rights-holders don't want to pony up a wheel barrow full of cash to remaster a bunch of deleted scenes.

Lynch won't let the scenes be shown without being remastered.

Maybe a long cut of FWWM would be a reasonable compromise to get the material out there. (Though I could see Lynch balking at recutting the movie.)
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 06-23-07, 02:16 PM
  #73  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Rift
Posts: 179
Extras shmextras. Best show ever finally available complete = no brainer.
Chill Pill is offline  
Old 06-23-07, 06:29 PM
  #74  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,099
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Would it be easier to get the scenes remastered if they would be cut into an extended version of the film?
Ironically, yes. But Lynch has been very clear that the theatrical cut of the movie is his director's cut and he doesn't want these scenes put back into it. His idea is to make them into a series of Twin Peaks short films that show you other stuff happening in the town around the same time that the movie takes place.

That's, you know, interesting and all, but frankly people just want to see the footage and don't give a crap what they look like.
Josh Z is offline  
Old 06-24-07, 08:57 PM
  #75  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Longview, TX, USA
Posts: 1,214
I'm really glad to see that this is being released. I missed out on Season 1 and last time I checked it was OOP, so I will definitely be picking this up the week it comes out.
Dayewalker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.