Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Old 08-12-09, 03:49 PM
  #376  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,974
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Without proper context, the significance of these events may seem unclear or even meaningless. More importantly, the movie assumes that the viewer is aware of certain plot turns (such as the identity of Laura's killer) and freely divulges information that should not be revealed until late in the series. As such, the movie is not appropriate for viewers hoping to pick up the Twin Peaks story from the chronological beginning. On the other hand, since it is a prequel the movie also does not resolve any of the cliffhangers left open at the end of the series. In fact, the movie poses more questions than it answers, a fact that upset many who were expecting closure.
A prequel that clearly is not just a prequel and a film that doesn't resolve cliffhangers is a fair assessment.

My own assessment is that Lynch should have left well enough alone. It was poor judgment to tease fans of the series. Additionally, it wasn't that interesting a film. Now, I'm a big Lynch fan but even for me, some of his films are duds. But he has also given us great films. I think in his heart of hearts he thinks he can pound something out on his typewriter and believes that it will be a sweet success when the actors see it the next day. That and I would bet my house he has A.D.D. or the equivalent. But, what artist doesn't have some issues?
ctyankee is offline  
Old 08-12-09, 04:04 PM
  #377  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,134
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
That and I would bet my house he has A.D.D. or the equivalent.
Lynch's pet cause is promoting Transcendental Meditation, which is essentially the opposite of ADD.
Josh Z is offline  
Old 08-12-09, 04:41 PM
  #378  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Socal
Posts: 4,137
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Isn't there a rumor going around that CW might be optioning this property? Would make sense considering its in the CBS/Paramount family and CW only seems to be able to produce hits that are remakes of something better...
critterdvd is offline  
Old 08-12-09, 04:50 PM
  #379  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,974
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Lynch's pet cause is promoting Transcendental Meditation, which is essentially the opposite of ADD.
Ah no. Meditation is a technique whereas A.D.D. is a condition, big difference. At Yale University, Lynch discussed meditation and how he reaches a state of "bliss." Of course, he also discussed the idea that getting thousands of people around the world to meditate at the same time would allow for those thousands to "connect" with each other. But, that's neither here nor there (pun intended).

Meanwhile, for anyone thinks that Lynch can stay on task, I would suggest watching the filming extras that came with the Inland Empire DVD. It should be quite eye-opening.
ctyankee is offline  
Old 08-12-09, 07:40 PM
  #380  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 985
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
More power to you if you can stand it, but I'm not alone. Not that other's opinions matter, but film critics generally hated it, a score of 28% on metacritic, and most audiences didn't like it either.
Popular opinion, critical or especially popular, of a Lynch film? What do you expect?
I can't hate anything he does. Michael Chion's book about Lynch helped me appreciate Fire Walk more.
Egon's Ghost is offline  
Old 08-12-09, 09:11 PM
  #381  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,974
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost View Post
Popular opinion, critical or especially popular, of a Lynch film? What do you expect?
I can't hate anything he does. Michael Chion's book about Lynch helped me appreciate Fire Walk more.
I have no idea what you meant by "especially popular" but except for maybe Elephant Man and Dune, Lynch has never drawn a mainstream audience. And as those weren't his projects perhaps never drawing a mainstream audience is perhaps correct.

So, the audience that went to see Fire Walk With Me is far from mainstream. So if the mainstream didn't see it, the non-mainstream didn't like it and the critics didn't either ... the only group that liked it is the outlying outliers. Which is fine. But to answer your question, I expect directors to not disappoint the bulk of their audience. Is that unreasonable?

Last edited by ctyankee; 08-12-09 at 10:42 PM.
ctyankee is offline  
Old 08-12-09, 09:28 PM
  #382  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,654
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Originally Posted by critterdvd View Post
Isn't there a rumor going around that CW might be optioning this property? Would make sense considering its in the CBS/Paramount family and CW only seems to be able to produce hits that are remakes of something better...
There's this piece on AICN, but it's more of a suggestion than a rumor.

The little angel on my shoulder tells me to leave Twin Peaks well enough alone.

But the little devil on my other shoulder tells me that there's a "twenty years later" storyline built into Twin Peaks already, that they could probably get quite a few of the actors back in addition to some new ones, and that someone could take the concept and just go nuts with it.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 08-12-09, 09:57 PM
  #383  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 782
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Here is a another defense of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. It briefly mentions Lynch's interest in Transcendental Meditation and attempts to relate it to the film.
Spiral Staircase is offline  
Old 08-12-09, 10:55 PM
  #384  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
MTRodaba2468's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 2,576
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
Some Muppet Oddness. Twin Beaks.

That's classic. I remember seeing that as a kid, and naturally, being a kid, not getting all the references (such as "David Finch", for example).
MTRodaba2468 is offline  
Old 08-13-09, 01:48 AM
  #385  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
tylergfoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,540
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
What was on the insert?

(Bought FWWM for $4-$5 from the Wal-Mart cheap bin a few years back, and was wondering if it would be worth the upgrade to get the insert and keepcase packaging. Hm - I might just be insane...)
The same thing that's on the inside front flap of the snapper, with the DVD cover on the other side.

I got it recently at a Half Price Books for $5.96 (one of the surplus titles they actually get new stock of), so try there if you're looking for one.
tylergfoster is offline  
Old 08-13-09, 04:23 AM
  #386  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Living Dead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Graveyard
Posts: 3,209
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
The little angel on my shoulder tells me to leave Twin Peaks well enough alone.

But the little devil on my other shoulder tells me that there's a "twenty years later" storyline built into Twin Peaks already, that they could probably get quite a few of the actors back in addition to some new ones, and that someone could take the concept and just go nuts with it.
Oh man...

Spoiler:
It would be awesome to have Dale Cooper finally find his way out after 20 years trapped behind the curtain and confront Bob after he stole his body. To me, this is the single greatest unresolved cliffhanger in television history. It set up a whole new world for Twin Peaks that was never fully explored.


The conclusion to that storyline is what I would have preferred to what we actually got with Fire Walk With Me, which I thought was mediocre at best. If that means I'm not a "true fan" or I "don't understand the series at all"... then so be it.

Last edited by Living Dead; 08-13-09 at 04:28 AM.
Living Dead is offline  
Old 08-13-09, 08:45 AM
  #387  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 485
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
I have no idea what you meant by "especially popular" but except for maybe Elephant Man and Dune, Lynch has never drawn a mainstream audience. And as those weren't his projects perhaps never drawing a mainstream audience is perhaps correct.
You're forgetting Blue Velvet, which was nominated for two Golden Globes, and one Oscar. Clearly that had a mainstream audience, and it was a screenplay written by Lynch. So would argue that Blue Velvet was the film that pushed Lynch into the mainstream.
JLyon1515 is offline  
Old 08-13-09, 10:04 AM
  #388  
DVD Talk Legend
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 20,035
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

I'll stop far short of saying that I don't like FWWM, because I absolutely love it, but I do wish it contained more of the quirky humor the series was known for. Lynch made the film dark, perhaps even too dark, and by doing so he removed it from the world he created on television by a noticeable degree. My hope is that one day he completes the deleted footage to his satisfaction and assembles a longer cut of the film. IMO, you can never have too much Twin Peaks.
islandclaws is offline  
Old 08-13-09, 11:32 AM
  #389  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Socal
Posts: 4,137
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Originally Posted by JLyon1515 View Post
You're forgetting Blue Velvet, which was nominated for two Golden Globes, and one Oscar. Clearly that had a mainstream audience, and it was a screenplay written by Lynch. So would argue that Blue Velvet was the film that pushed Lynch into the mainstream.
I would have to agree with this. While a lot of Lynch film's previous to "Blue Velvet" were given some theatrical run it wasn't until this film (and later with 'Mullholland Drive") that he really broke into the average-joe theater audience.

I have to say that I'm amazed the amount of times I've seen "Blue Velvet" in various Literature, film, psychology and sociology classes.
critterdvd is offline  
Old 08-13-09, 04:08 PM
  #390  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,134
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
My hope is that one day he completes the deleted footage to his satisfaction and assembles a longer cut of the film. IMO, you can never have too much Twin Peaks.
Lynch has had the right of final cut on all of his movies since Blue Velvet, and has been very clear that he won't extend Fire Walk With Me. The theatrical cut is his director's cut.

However, what he's stated that he wants to do is fashion the deleted scenes from FWWM into a series of short films set in the universe of Twin Peaks.
Josh Z is offline  
Old 08-13-09, 04:32 PM
  #391  
DVD Talk Legend
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 20,035
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Lynch has had the right of final cut on all of his movies since Blue Velvet, and has been very clear that he won't extend Fire Walk With Me. The theatrical cut is his director's cut.

However, what he's stated that he wants to do is fashion the deleted scenes from FWWM into a series of short films set in the universe of Twin Peaks.
I know, and I'm ok with that. I'd love to see the footage surface in any form possible and those short films sound like a good alternative. Seeing as how the movie is already 134 min, I find it a little hard to believe he wasn't pressured to cut it down to a more reasonable theatrical length, but I'm also just as sure that he's satisfied with the final product and stands by it.

Oh, and how I would kill to have seen the original 4 hour cut of Blue Velvet.
islandclaws is offline  
Old 08-13-09, 08:52 PM
  #392  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 338
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Lynch has had the right of final cut on all of his movies since Blue Velvet, and has been very clear that he won't extend Fire Walk With Me. The theatrical cut is his director's cut.
For years after it was released, he had talked about gathering all of the cut material and reinserting it back into the film. Then he seemed to change his mind and said he didn't want to put it back in. He waffles all the time on what he wants to do.
golden_rod is offline  
Old 08-13-09, 09:24 PM
  #393  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lost Highway
Posts: 1,117
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
I'll stop far short of saying that I don't like FWWM, because I absolutely love it, but I do wish it contained more of the quirky humor the series was known for. Lynch made the film dark, perhaps even too dark, and by doing so he removed it from the world he created on television by a noticeable degree. My hope is that one day he completes the deleted footage to his satisfaction and assembles a longer cut of the film. IMO, you can never have too much Twin Peaks.
Glad that you can speak proudly about FWWM! It is an absolute masterpiece, and a true "moving painting" as Lynch likes to describe his works. I actually think the film works better if you know nothing about the Twin Peaks universe. It's just a puzzle, like most of Lynch's films. The pieces are there, and they're jumbled. Do what you want with them, or just enjoy the ride.

My wife and I scouted out all of the Twin Peaks locations when we lived up around that area of WA. My only regret was we didn't hop the private fences to track down the train car used in FWWM. I guess when you get older, breaking and trespassing just isn't as cool when your lugging your kids around. Tweeds Cafe does have a damn fine cup of coffee (and pie), though!
Dick Laurent is offline  
Old 08-14-09, 03:51 AM
  #394  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
caligulathegod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Grove City OH
Posts: 3,730
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent View Post

My wife and I scouted out all of the Twin Peaks locations when we lived up around that area of WA. My only regret was we didn't hop the private fences to track down the train car used in FWWM. I guess when you get older, breaking and trespassing just isn't as cool when your lugging your kids around. Tweeds Cafe does have a damn fine cup of coffee (and pie), though!
I did the same thing. I didn't find the actual train car (as I think it had been moved), but I did find the general area of the scene. I even found a stack of firewood off to the side of the tracks and snatched myself a suitable log. And one day my log will have something to say about this.
caligulathegod is offline  
Old 08-14-09, 11:25 AM
  #395  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Socal
Posts: 4,137
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
I did the same thing. I didn't find the actual train car (as I think it had been moved), but I did find the general area of the scene. I even found a stack of firewood off to the side of the tracks and snatched myself a suitable log. And one day my log will have something to say about this.
Dude that is awesome! That has to be the best piece of memorabilia possible for this show, haha.
critterdvd is offline  
Old 08-14-09, 01:21 PM
  #396  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,134
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Originally Posted by golden_rod View Post
For years after it was released, he had talked about gathering all of the cut material and reinserting it back into the film.
You'll have to dig up a source for this, because I have never heard that claim.

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
Seeing as how the movie is already 134 min, I find it a little hard to believe he wasn't pressured to cut it down to a more reasonable theatrical length,
Considering that Mulholland Drive is 2 1/2 hours long and Inland Empire is 3 hours, I don't think Lynch pays much mind to pressure of that sort.
Josh Z is offline  
Old 08-14-09, 07:04 PM
  #397  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 782
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
You'll have to dig up a source for this, because I have never heard that claim.


Considering that Mulholland Drive is 2 1/2 hours long and Inland Empire is 3 hours, I don't think Lynch pays much mind to pressure of that sort.
Here is a relevant section from Lynch on Lynch (1997) p.185:

Chris Rodley:
"In part, adverse press and audience reaction to the movie was to do with the fact that much of the humor of the TV series - the coffee, the doughnuts, etc. - had been dropped. All the niceties, and some of the characters, were gone. All that was left was this desperate..."

David Lynch:
"Torment. Yes, that's true. But again I had a limit on the running time of the picture. We shot many scenes that - for a regular feature - were too tangential to keep the main story progressing properly. We thought it might be good sometime to do a longer version with these others things in, because a lot of the characters that are missing in the finished movie had been filmed. They're part of the picture, they're just not necessary for the main story."

At the end of the chapter on Twin Peaks, Lynch laments, "I feel bad that Fire Walk with Me did no business and that a lot of people hate the film. I really like the film. But it had a lot of baggage with it. It's as free and as experimental as it could be within the dictates it had to follow."
Spiral Staircase is offline  
Old 08-14-09, 07:06 PM
  #398  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 338
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
You'll have to dig up a source for this, because I have never heard that claim.
I had a magazine interview from the mid-nineties where he spoke about it, but I don't have it on hand.

Whether he had final cut on FWWM is up for debate. Bob Engels said that "the folks in charge wouldn't let them get away with a movie that long" & in 'The Complete Lynch,' Michael Horse said Lynch apologized to him for cutting all of his scenes because he was forced to cut two hours.
golden_rod is offline  
Old 08-14-09, 07:24 PM
  #399  
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,001
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

"Final Cut" doesn't necessarily equal "Director's Cut"; there's always contractual stipulations (usually having to due with length, budget, and rating) that the director must follow, or final cut rights will be surrendered.

For example, Lynch did have final cut for Blue Velvet, but he was contractually obligated to turn in a movie that ran under 2 hours (the final film supposedly runs exactly one frame under that limit) and be rated R. Lynch's rough cut ran 4 hours; while the actual finished film with no time restrictions probably wouldn't have been that long, it certainly would have been longer than "one frame under my time restriction".
sb5 is offline  
Old 08-14-09, 08:33 PM
  #400  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lost Highway
Posts: 1,117
Re: Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
I did the same thing. I didn't find the actual train car (as I think it had been moved), but I did find the general area of the scene. I even found a stack of firewood off to the side of the tracks and snatched myself a suitable log. And one day my log will have something to say about this.
That's cool. I didn't even consider taking wood from the "grounds." Oh, well. By far the hardest place for us to find was the title shot of the "peaks." Once you're there, though, it's breathtaking (mainly for the geekiness factor, other than that, it's just a road).
Dick Laurent is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.