Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Old 12-04-07, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
I think you should try to watch the movie and then the series. The movie was the prequel to the stories.
Originally Posted by darthdelegate
This has to be the worst advice ever. Watching the movie first will destroy one of the greatest mysteries ever presented on television for a 1st time viewer. Watch the series first, as others have told you, then the movie.

The movie is a prequel, yes, but it is meant to be watched AFTER watching the series.
Yeah that is the worst advice ever.

Also, to any newbies to Twin Peaks: Be sure to only watch the original (North American) broadcast version of the pilot and not the alternate European version which also spoils the whole "who killed Laura Palmer" central mystery. Save that for after you watch the whole series and already know all the happenings.

Last edited by joliom; 12-04-07 at 04:48 AM.
Old 12-04-07, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joliom
Also, to any newbies to Twin Peaks: Be sure to only watch the original (North American) broadcast version of the pilot and not the alternate European version which also spoils the whole "who killed Laura Palmer" central mystery. Save that for after you watch the whole series and already know all the happenings.
The "European" version of the pilot doesn't really spoil the mystery, but it does contradict later events.
Old 12-04-07, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I ended up paying for my box set by selling the postcards that came with it. I got $63 on eBay.
Old 12-04-07, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
So I ended up paying for my box set by selling the postcards that came with it. I got $63 on eBay.
Wow. Did you have some rare ones or something? I don't plan on collecting these, I should throw em on ebay as well if I can sell em for 63 eagles!
Old 12-04-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just finished the box set the other day, bonus features and all. They really did an amazing job, but the features from S2 should have been on here. But that's a minor complaint since I'm keeping my S2 set, and the features on here are all really great. I loved the SNL skit.
Old 12-04-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chill Pill
Wow. Did you have some rare ones or something? I don't plan on collecting these, I should throw em on ebay as well if I can sell em for 63 eagles!
Nope. I just got them on there early.
Old 12-08-07, 08:53 PM

Was the Log Lady Intro part of the original American broadcast? I haven't watched it yet for fear of spoiling something.
Old 12-08-07, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by SanityRemoved
Was the Log Lady Intro part of the original American broadcast? I haven't watched it yet for fear of spoiling something.
None of the Log Lady Intros were part of the original broadcasts. They were recorded when Bravo got the syndication rights to air the series.

The intros are all very cryptic and amusing; none of them will spoil anything for you. Occasionally what she says relates to what is going on in the story in a very general sense (i.e., "And now, an ending" - before the series finale), but many of them have nothing to do with the substance of the plot.
Old 12-08-07, 09:22 PM

Thanks I couldn't remember them and never caught it on Bravo.
Old 12-08-07, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Parents are getting the set for me for Christmas, and needless to say I'm anxiously awaiting opening this one up. I'm so glad they included the SNL skit...the impressions are dead on (especially Phil Hartman as Leland and Mike Myers as the Man from Another Place).

Question about the TV spots on there: are they the ones that Lucy narrates (which I saw on YouTube)? I'd assume ABC isn't mentioned. Also, there was a promo that I saw only a fragment of on there (from some old ET segment) where Cooper wakes up from a "dream" and announces the move back to Thursdays from Saturday; is that on there?

Additionally I grabbed Fire Walk with Me last night in anticipation of getting the set.
Old 12-09-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Additionally I grabbed Fire Walk with Me last night in anticipation of getting the set.
Make sure you watch this before the series.
Old 12-09-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No cards for me Very disappointing...

For those who got them, how many came in each set?
Old 12-09-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got this in from the DDD sale, looking forward to watching it over break.
Old 12-09-07, 11:28 AM
crs

Originally Posted by Numes
No cards for me Very disappointing...

For those who got them, how many came in each set?
12 in mine.
Old 12-09-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by crs
12 in mine.
Wow. What a rip. I noticed the whole set was going for $250+ on ebay. I would have been happy with just a couple. Boo-urns.
Old 12-09-07, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Make sure you watch this before the series.
Meh, I waited till after I saw every episode. I think I wouldn't understand it watching it beforehand.
Old 12-09-07, 08:29 PM
Banned

I actually did watch the movie before I saw any of the series. This was back around 2001-2002. I already had read or heard from somewhere who the killer of Laura Palmer was. I really didn't understand some of it nut I still kinda liked it overall. I then bought the season one DVD and I had absolutely no idea what the hell was going on because the pilot was not included. I was so pissed . I tried watching the first few episodes about 2 or 3 times and I just felt so lost as to what was going on and who anyone was. I ended up taking it to media play and sold it there...I probably only got like $10 or $12 dollars for it.

Needless to say I was so happy when the complete series came out and the pilot was included.
Old 12-18-07, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow. Finished this last week. This was the 2nd out of 83 dvds that I bought off of a DVDtalk recommendation that I just didn't like. I never found the murder mystery to be compelling and just couldn't get into the quirkiness or offbeat humor. And once the murder mystery was wrapped up the second season was polarizing. James and the rich lady, wtf was that? Billy Zane as a playboy seducing Audrey? Yikes. I suppose TV was less compelling in the early nineties. I also love in the documentaries how even the cast says that the second season "sucked". On the brightside it did really make me want black coffee and cherry pie.
Old 12-18-07, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by souvenir
Both versions of the pilot (international and broadcast) are included yes. Watch the broadcast version, then watch the alternate ending of the international version after you've seen the entire series ideally (the ending can be viewed separately).

Actually, you can probably watch the European ending of the pilot anytime after watching the third (I think) and fourth episode of the series. When Coop has his famous odd dream, they used an edited version of the ending of the European pilot for the dream sequence. The very next episode, Coop describes his dream and includes bits that weren't shown. Well, the European pilot has those scenes. In other words, it's his whole dream. Look at it that way and it doesn't spoil or contradict anything (It's a dream, after all).
Old 12-18-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Actually, you can probably watch the European ending of the pilot anytime after watching the third (I think) and fourth episode of the series. When Coop has his famous odd dream, they used an edited version of the ending of the European pilot for the dream sequence. The very next episode, Coop describes his dream and includes bits that weren't shown. Well, the European pilot has those scenes. In other words, it's his whole dream. Look at it that way and it doesn't spoil or contradict anything (It's a dream, after all).
It gives away the killer as well, so it needs to be watched last.
Old 12-18-07, 11:29 AM

It doesn't give away any more than the dream in episode 2 does. Coop pretty much describes all the missing parts in the next episode.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 12-18-07 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-18-07, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Wow. Finished this last week. This was the 2nd out of 83 dvds that I bought off of a DVDtalk recommendation that I just didn't like. I never found the murder mystery to be compelling and just couldn't get into the quirkiness or offbeat humor. And once the murder mystery was wrapped up the second season was polarizing. James and the rich lady, wtf was that? Billy Zane as a playboy seducing Audrey? Yikes. I suppose TV was less compelling in the early nineties. I also love in the documentaries how even the cast says that the second season "sucked". On the brightside it did really make me want black coffee and cherry pie.
The James/Evelyn filler storyline was really weak. I still don't understand how they could expect such a poor actor (and boring character) to pull off a completely detached storyline like that. And while the 2-3 episodes between the murder mystery wrapup and the first appearance of Windom Earle were a little dull, things really picked up in the 2nd half of the season. I still think the series finale was one of the craziest things I've ever seen on television. I think it's unfair to say the second season sucked....it wasn't as good, but it was still a lot better than most everything else on television at the time (and still today).

Admittedly though, this show is not for everyone......
Old 12-18-07, 02:03 PM

I agree that the rush to solve Laura Palmer's murder had a damaging effect on the 2nd season. For a few episodes after resolving the case you could actually see the show trying to stop its own unravelling, with delaying tactics like Cooper's suspension and Briggs' disappearance trying to keep things moving while the writers and producers scurried around to get a compelling storyline in order.

There were plenty of 2nd season subplots I could have done without, but by far the worst damage was taking a crowbar to the Cooper-Audrey relationship. It's so obvious that Lynch and Frost wanted them together, and it would have made perfect sense even in the 2nd season after Cooper initially turns her down in the 1st. Instead they haul in Heather Graham and Billy Zane and it's like Cooper and Audrey are getting it on by proxy.
Old 12-18-07, 02:14 PM

Yeah, but what were they even thinking with that story line? They completely forgot that these were high school students and it was only February/March. It did get better once they got into the Black Lodge stuff.
Old 12-18-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
They completely forgot that these were high school students and it was only February/March.
The show's writers have been very frank over the years about the fact that they never paid much attention to continuity details like calendar dates. The format of the show is that every episode is one day of narrative time, but if you do the math you'll see kids going to school on weekends and the weather not changing during the winter months. That just wasn't something they cared about.

The chess game between Pete and Windom Earle is also complete nonsense. The writers didn't even know how to play chess.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.