Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Which Godzilla movies does Classic Media have rights to?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking to pick up some of the Godzilla titles already out on DVD, but wanted to hold off on the ones that Classic Media plans to release. I have the five titles they've already released.
Old 06-12-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to godzillaondvd.com:

Classic Media has the license in US and Canada to distribute the following Godzilla movies- GOJIRA/GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS, GODZILLA RAIDS AGAIN, MOTHRA VS GODZILLA/GODZILLA VS THE THING, GHIDORAH THE THREE-HEADED MONSTER, INVASION OF ASTRO MONSTER/MONSTER ZERO, ALL MONSTERS ATTACK/GODZILLA'S REVENGE, and TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA- so those are the only Godzilla titles we can release on DVD. All the Classic Media DVDs will have the American and Japanese versions and be packaged in the hardcover cases like GOJIRA.
Old 06-12-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just watched their Invasion of Astro-Monster this morning. They did such an awesome job with that masterpiece. I REALLY wish they could secure the rights for Godzilla 1985. I'd love to have a release with both versions of that film together.
Old 06-12-07, 08:53 PM
Banned

Don't forget the great European version of G1985 (no Dr Pepper ads, thank you).
Old 06-12-07, 09:23 PM

Does classic media own the rights to Rodan? I thought I read that somewhere before
Old 06-13-07, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Am I remembering correctly that Classic Media said they would release a box set after the movies were all released or am I thinking of a previous Godzilla set that never materialized?
Old 06-13-07, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, Classic Media has rights on RODAN as well as WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS. I believe GODZILLA'S REVENGE (now called ALL MONSTERS ATTACK) and TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA are due out in September.

A big boxed set is due out after that sometime, though I don't know when. (Maybe in early 2008?) This is at least one BIG extra planned for that boxed set.
Old 06-13-07, 09:44 AM
LiK

i wish they had the rights to the new ones too. colombia/tristar hasn't upgraded any of the crap dvds for some of the titles like godzilla 2000, godzilla vs spacegodzilla etc. i've been holding out and only buying the other ones which have the japanese tracks and original aspect ratio.

i'm holding out on the classic media stuff because i also read that a major boxed set with all the titles will be released later.
Old 06-13-07, 09:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by S Galbraith IV
Yes, Classic Media has rights on RODAN as well as WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS. I believe GODZILLA'S REVENGE (now called ALL MONSTERS ATTACK) and TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA are due out in September.

A big boxed set is due out after that sometime, though I don't know when. (Maybe in early 2008?) This is at least one BIG extra planned for that boxed set.
aw great, maybe I should just stop buying them individually and wait for the Box set... good grief. Rodan! Rodan! Rodan!
Old 06-13-07, 10:22 AM
mxv

I hope they can secure rights to some of the other ones in the future. They have done such a great job on the releases so far. I just watched Invasion of the Astro Monster a few nights ago and was amazed by how nice of a transfer they had, and this was watching the American version. I'll still eventually go back and watch it again in the Japanese version. I'm hoping to have time this weekend to watch Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster.

I can't wait for the next two, I was really excited when I watched the trailer at the beginning of the disc where they showed those two as coming soon.
Old 06-13-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
I wish they could do them all, especially King Kong vs. Godzilla, which apparently got butchered into oblivion for its American release.
Old 06-14-07, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
aw great, maybe I should just stop buying them individually and wait for the Box set... good grief. Rodan! Rodan! Rodan!

I am also holding right now, and wait for the big box set...
Old 06-14-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't hold out. Too big of a Big G fan. But if the big box has loads of new features I'll happily upgrade. I know talk of bootlegs is frowned upon here, but for the newer Godzilla films that are butchered in R1 I've been buying copies of the uncut Jap versions for around $10 on ebay. I won't link anything, but it's a good idea for those of you that want the "real" editions.
Old 07-02-07, 09:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I can't hold out. Too big of a Big G fan. But if the big box has loads of new features I'll happily upgrade.
Me too. It'd be great if CM made the bonus disc available seperately though (like directly from their website or something).

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I wish they could do them all, especially King Kong vs. Godzilla, which apparently got butchered into oblivion for its American release.
King Kong vs. Godzilla is the one title that is locked up virtually forever by it's current U.S rights holder (Universal). They only have the rights to the severely edited U.S. version though, so the chances of getting a legit R1 version of the unedited Japanese version stateside are nill.
Old 09-21-07, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like September is going by without the 2 Godzilla titles....
Old 09-23-07, 06:17 PM

Are the rights to RODAN owned by CM? If so, is there a longer, Japanese-language cut? The 70-min. U.S. version seems awfully short.
Old 09-25-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

CM do own the rights to Rodan (Radon, if you want to get technical). I would assume once they decide to release this it will include both cuts of the film, much like the Godzilla releases do.
Old 09-25-07, 10:34 PM

I received an email from Amazon touting a 11/20/07 pre-order for:

Godzilla Collection

I know there was talk of repackaging the Godzilla releases with possible extra features. Any idea what this might contain?

Last edited by ChrisP; 09-26-07 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-26-07, 06:31 AM

That Amazon listing has it listed as a Genius Products release. That's not Classic Media is it? Is Genius part of The Weinstein Company?
Old 09-26-07, 10:25 AM

I just glanced at the listing and it says it's Classic Media - but isn't 8 discs not enough?
Old 09-26-07, 10:32 AM

That's interesting. When I checked the listing when I made my earlier post it said Genius Products. So, maybe this is the real deal. I agree with you DaTimster, 8 discs doesn't seem like enough. 6 discs (including 2 discs for Gojira) have been released already and at least 4 more should be forthcoming, right?
Old 09-26-07, 12:13 PM

Actually, if memory serves me correctly, GOJIRA is not going to be in the box. It's only going to be the six films after that. So at a single disc a piece, that would mean two bonus discs.

And CM had said that there was going to be exclusive material to the box.
Old 09-26-07, 12:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by DaTimster
Actually, if memory serves me correctly, GOJIRA is not going to be in the box. It's only going to be the six films after that. So at a single disc a piece, that would mean two bonus discs.

And CM had said that there was going to be exclusive material to the box.
I hope that's true. I've bought all the discs as they have been released, but have only opened Gojira. So the others should be fairly easy to ebay or regift, since I must own the "exclusive bonus" material.
Old 09-26-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Tenacious D
That Amazon listing has it listed as a Genius Products release. That's not Classic Media is it? Is Genius part of The Weinstein Company?
Genius Products and Classis Media are in business cahoots, so basically same thing.
Old 09-26-07, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Many moons ago, Classic Media said there might be exclusive content for the box set. But that was almost two years ago when the box set was scheduled to come out along side the 2-Disc Gojira release. Who knows what they have planned now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.