DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Horror Classics from MGM - 9/11 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/502915-horror-classics-mgm-9-11-a.html)

Jaymole 06-08-07 07:18 AM

Horror Classics from MGM - 9/11

DVD Empire has the follwoing Horror Titles up for pre-order for 9/11 release:

The Food of the Gods
From Beyond SE
The Return of the Living Dead SE
Witchfinder General

The SE's are $19.98 retail, the others are $14.98.

Nebiroth 06-08-07 09:33 AM

Indeed. Midnite Movies rises to live again!

The DVD Drive-In article mentions that there are more MM titles to be announced, apparently only Witchfinder General and Food of the Gods are classed as Midnites.

Shame they've plumped for single discs not Doubles. The Doubles were fabulous value for money.

tylergfoster 06-08-07 11:41 AM

I'm still waiting for The Dark Backward to materalize. There's a great disc that's probably finished -- commentary, deleted scenes, Q+A, documentary, trailer -- and Fox/MGM still hasn't put it out.

Quatermass 06-08-07 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jaymole
DVD Empire has the follwoing Horror Titles up for pre-order for 9/11 release:

The Food of the Gods
From Beyond SE
The Return of the Living Dead SE
Witchfinder General

The SE's are $19.98 retail, the others are $14.98.

Great News! I've never seen "Witchfinder General" but have heard a lot about it. I wonder if ROTLD will be in the correct aspect ratio with all the original music. I think the previous release (which is still pretty good) had some issues with those.

i86time 06-08-07 01:25 PM

Good to see the line is still alive. So I transfer my VHS copies of The Chocolate War and Food of the Gods to DVD, and a few months later, The Chocolate War comes out on DVD, followed by Food of the Gods a few months after that. If they announce Blood and Lace & Legacy of Blood, I'm going to start thinking I have a gift. I can't wait to hear what other Midnite Movies will show up.

JMcCraw 06-08-07 01:25 PM

The Burning is also coming that day!

islandclaws 06-08-07 02:11 PM

Thank you MGM. I'm waiting to see what the Witchfinder General disc looks like so I know if I need to upgrade my R2 edition. Awesome news on Food of the Gods and From Beyond. I'll pass on RotLD, though. No new cut of the film and the existing disc is already pretty packed.

gorgo99 06-08-07 04:11 PM

Cool! In for all except maybe "Food".

rw2516 06-08-07 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
Thank you MGM. I'm waiting to see what the Witchfinder General disc looks like so I know if I need to upgrade my R2 edition.

Ifr this is the disc that was supposed to be released a few years ago, the inserted scenes have been cleaned up and restored and Ian Ogilvy commentary. I wish they would also include the U.S. version w/ the Price voiceovers andoriginal score.

zyzzle 06-08-07 05:06 PM

Wonderful!! In for all 4! I've been waiting for some Bert I Gordon goodness for a long time... FOOD OF THE GODS is a hokey film, just like EMPIRE OF THE ANTS... But, very entertaining. Giant rats get my OK any day!

Now, we desperately need the even better film DEADLY EYES (1982) about killer rats to be released on DVD!

asianxcore 06-08-07 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I wonder if ROTLD will be in the correct aspect ratio with all the original music. I think the previous release (which is still pretty good) had some issues with those.

I thought ROTLD 2 was the DVD with that problem. Was there something up with the first movie?

Peep 06-08-07 07:32 PM

I'm not seeing any of these at DVDempire.

Any idea if "From Beyond" is the director's cut?

JOE29 06-08-07 08:07 PM

Yes , I've been waiting for Witchfinder General for a few years now. I hope the disc will be credible and worth the wait.

Julie Walker 06-09-07 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I thought ROTLD 2 was the DVD with that problem. Was there something up with the first movie?

The director altered the music and effects in ROLD 1 for the worse. That is the only issue with that release.

The aspect ratio issue is not an issue at all. Only misinformed people who assume just because their is more information in the 4x3 version than the widescreen version. That it is 'misframed' and a 'cheat'. When plenty of films are shot open matte, with the intent of being matted to widescreen.

FILMCZY 06-09-07 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Peep
I'm not seeing any of these at DVDempire.

Any idea if "From Beyond" is the director's cut?

I imagine it would be since the director's cut was shown on one of the HD monster channels several months ago.

FILMCZY 06-09-07 09:41 AM

"Food of the Gods" should have been double featured with "Empire of the Ants."

JesseCuster 06-09-07 12:06 PM

Wow. My last major unreleased want is coming out.

From Beyond

Daddy! :banana:

The Monkees 06-09-07 01:26 PM

Yes, Witchfinder General!!

I'd like to see From Beyond also, so this is great news!

dollfins1 06-09-07 01:40 PM

i've been waiting for food of the gods! :)

Zen Peckinpah 06-09-07 05:24 PM

From Beyond and ROTLD are mine.

Bring on Night of the Creeps! (I heard MGM bought the rights or something...is it true?)

Neeb 06-09-07 06:41 PM

Awesome news about Witchfinder General. I think the thread title, "Horror Classics- 9/11" is alternately sick and hilarious
Just saying...

Alkaline 06-10-07 04:02 PM

The Burning is definitely what excites me the most. I reeeally hope that one is fully uncut. *Ahem* Raft scene?

dullboy 06-11-07 11:57 AM

And SCARECROWS!

Nebiroth 06-19-07 07:43 AM

More titles announced - from DVD Drive-In

MGM (as distributed by Fox) has finally announced a batch of Midnite Movies double features for release on September 11. These will include: RETURN OF DRACULA/THE VAMPIRE (John Beal) (new hi-def transfers), THE BEAST WITH A MILLION EYES/PHANTOM FROM 10,000 LEAGUES (new hi-def transfer for PHANTOM), PHARAOH'S CURSE/CURSE OF THE FACELESS MAN, THE BEAST WITHIN/THE BAT PEOPLE, KONGA/YONGARY, MONSTER FROM THE DEEP. One the same date, MGM will release Roger Corman and Vincent Price box sets of previously released titles. As mentioned earlier, MGM will also release single Midnite Movies of WITCHFINDER GENERAL and FOOD OF THE GODS. More details and cover art to follow soon!

Bit naughty if they are going to include one or two new titles in the Corman/Price sets so that we will have to double-dip to get the new films. I already own all the Corman and Price titles in the Midnite range..

indy81 06-19-07 11:26 AM

Are all of these films really coming out on the same day? It's cool to get all of this stuff, but it seems like they could've spaced things out a bit. Is there any kind of general consensus as to which of these are the "must buy" titles and which are "backburners"? I know I'm getting Witchfinder, Return of Dracula, From Beyond, Tales from the Crypt, and the Fly collection right away, but I'd love advice on the others.

Food of the Gods
After Midnight
Scarecrows
Chosen Survivors/Earth Dies Screaming
Devils of Darkness/Witchcraft
Blueprint for Murder/Man in the Attic
Gorilla at Large/Mystery at Monster Island
The House on Skull Mountain/The Mephisto Waltz
The Beast With a Million Eyes/Phantom from 10,000 Leagues
Pharoah's Curse/Curse of the Faceless Man
The Beast Within/The Bat People
Konga/Yongarry, Monster from the Deep