Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Horror Classics from MGM - 9/11

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Horror Classics from MGM - 9/11

Old 09-10-07, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
I'm wondering about the retail presence of these discs. The Borders I work at didn't get any of the 9/11 titles, nor did the FYE in town and Best Buy doesn't appear to be getting them either. Wal-Mart's my last hope. Yikes!
I'm wondering the same thing. Lately my Best Buy's been absolutely abysmal at getting in genre releases. I couldn't find Monster Squad, Night of the Comet or Dark Backward there (they had 150 copies of "Primieval" though). I have a feeling if I want any of these I'm gonna have to get them online.
Old 09-10-07, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad
No, producer Philip Waddilove has confirmed to DVD Drive-In that the movie will not only be presented as Michael Reeves’ director cut, but will also contain the original music score by Paul Ferris which was removed from all previous home video versions in the U.S.

Interesting fact: It was retitled The Conqueror Worm in the U.S. simple to cash in on the success of the Price/Corman American International Pictures based on Poe.
Is there a review up anywhere yet? A friend got his today and it says "edited music version" on the cover.
Old 09-10-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And still no anamorphic widescreen Child's Play.
Old 09-10-07, 07:16 PM

Best Buy will not be carrying any of the Midnite Movies, Lost World (1925), The Fly Collection, Scarecrows, or The Burning, according to their website. They will be carrying the Vincent Price and Return of the Living Dead though.
Old 09-10-07, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dysoman
Best Buy will not be carrying any of the Midnite Movies, Lost World (1925), The Fly Collection, Scarecrows, or The Burning, according to their website. They will be carrying the Vincent Price and Return of the Living Dead though.
huh?

The Lost World (1960 / 1925):
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....uct&id=1332368

Scarecrows:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....uct&id=1673419

Fly:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1688683

The Burning:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1674602

House On Skull Mountain / the Mephisto Waltz:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....uct&id=1673302

etc...
Old 09-10-07, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by soop
huh?.
Well, looking at the website I'm starting to think they're NOT going to be in stores. On other titles yet to be released you see "coming soon" under store pickup, but on these Midnight Movies/The Burning etc it says "not available".
If they don't get these in-store it's pathetic - I may be off to Amazon to order these.
Old 09-10-07, 08:52 PM
Zbu

I remember the good old days of 2003 when I could walk into a Best Buy, grab a bunch of releases--even the ones that I didn't know about like BU's The Crazies and Synapse's Blue Sunshine--and walk out the door a happy man.

Flashforward four years and Best Buy is now a joke. Their releases are threadbare, their sci-fi/horror section is pathetic, and now they don't bother carrying most of the new releases? Online is almost easier, with the added bonus of not paying sales tax. Thanks for killing brick & mortar, Best Buy.
Old 09-10-07, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by soop
huh?
Originally Posted by TropicalRobot
Well, looking at the website I'm starting to think they're NOT going to be in stores. On other titles yet to be released you see "coming soon" under store pickup, but on these Midnight Movies/The Burning etc it says "not available".
If they don't get these in-store it's pathetic - I may be off to Amazon to order these.

I meant to say that these WOULD NOT be carried in the STORES, as I was referring to this post:

Originally Posted by redskull
I'm wondering the same thing. Lately my Best Buy's been absolutely abysmal at getting in genre releases. I couldn't find Monster Squad, Night of the Comet or Dark Backward there (they had 150 copies of "Primieval" though). I have a feeling if I want any of these I'm gonna have to get them online.

Sorry for the confusion. I admit I should have phrased it better.

Last edited by Dysoman; 09-10-07 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-10-07, 10:38 PM

Well, crap in a hat! I can't say I'm surprised though. As I said in my previous post, lately I've been having trouble finding much of anything worthwhile at Best Buy. Apparently they've decided they don't want my money.

I know I should just quit bothering with brick n' mortars and preorder the movies I want, but sometimes you just want to go to a store and buy something in person (plus I'd rather not add any more debt to my already groaning credit cards). Looks like if I ever want any more movies I'll have to start preordering anyway.

Do you think stores like Best Buy sit around and honestly wonder why their sales are down?
Old 09-10-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nebiroth
The "blood on tap" in the first story is reduced to a single freeze frame.
FWIW. I saw this film at a drive-in when it was first released and that was how the "blood on tap" scene was shown back then, a single freeze frame. I remember being very disappointed and thinking the film makers were being cheap. I never knew that the American version was cut.

Last edited by Pizza; 09-10-07 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-10-07, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
I don't understand the deal with the Midnite Movies; back in 2003 they were Best Buy exclusives, and now BB won't carry them at all?
Old 09-11-07, 01:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Well that sucks, I want to get The Fly Collection and Borders isn't going to have it either. Looks like I'm probably going to have to order it now. Boo!
Old 09-11-07, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I ordered all the Midnite titles online from DDD, figuring they either wouldn't be available at all in stores, or would only be a few copies and therefore hard to find.
Old 09-11-07, 06:43 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by redskull47
Do you think stores like Best Buy sit around and honestly wonder why their sales are down?
There is no possible way for any B&M store to carry every title. Do you realize how many DVDs are out there?

Sure, I'd rather they carry everything, but that is not realistic thinking.

They carry what makes them money, and we can't blame them for that.
Old 09-11-07, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
There is no possible way for any B&M store to carry every title. Do you realize how many DVDs are out there?

They ain't gonna be making any money off of me this week.

I realize B&M can't carry every title, but it's very disheartening when I go to Best Buy and see literally 100+ copies of something like "Premonition" (that no one would go see in the theatre for $8, so why would they pay $20 to watch it at home?) sitting untouched and taking up valuable real estate that could be filled by something that might actually sell.
Old 09-11-07, 10:40 AM

I've pretty much given up on Best Buy here in Fresno. They have pretty much stopped all together getting any new Criterion titles, and now this. Just another reason to go to Rasputin and give them my bussiness.
Old 09-11-07, 11:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
anyone have any luck?
Old 09-11-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

none at my best buy. not even the vincent price collection. very disappointed. wanted to watch food of the gods & the tales from the crib/vault of horror df tonight.
Old 09-11-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't want to drive all the way up to DVD Planet to look for these today, so I'm hoping that either my local Borders or CC will have the few I really want asap: The Burning, Scarecrows and From Beyond.
Old 09-11-07, 11:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I love my Amazon prime - From Beyond (14.99), The Burning (9.99) should be at my door step when I get home from work!!

Last edited by Giles; 09-11-07 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-11-07, 12:08 PM

I got The Burning for $12.99 at Future Shop & The Return of the Living Dead (Collector’s Edition) at Future Shop as well for $17.99.

They didn’t have From Beyond (Unrated Director’s Cut) at Future Shop or Wal*Mart, which was disappointing. I guess I’ll have to order it, via. Phone order from POS.
Old 09-11-07, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor

Okay, I just got back from Best Buy, Circuit City, FYE, Coconuts and Borders.

Not a single store had a single horror/sci-fi new release from MGM or Fox.

I have never been the guy to go to a store on release day, but a few of these (Tales From The Crypt in particular) are huge cult films that people have been waiting 10 years for.

Distributors are complaining that dvd sales are down, but instead of doing something to remedy that, like setting up key new releases on the date they're released, or, barring that, hiring someone to merchandise film products who actually knows something about films, they choose to piss off their customers.

I have bought my last dvd in a retail store. And when some of these others follow Tower into oblivion, they cant say they don't deserve it.

Edited to add: and dont think this is just a case of me crying for my ba ba....Best Buy used to have THOUSANDS of horror sci fi titles in stock. They have reduced their shelf space for feature films to make room for HD and BR (which is a source of aggrevation for people) and also devoted 2 full aisles to TV Box Sets (which is also a source of aggrevation...who buys TV Box sets anymore, when we know to just wait for the complete series?).... blah

Last edited by kintnerboy; 09-11-07 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-11-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My copy of From Beyond came in today from Deep Discount.

Still waiting on The Burning and Scarecrows to show up.
Old 09-11-07, 12:43 PM

I found about 4 of the new Midnite Madness flicks at my local FYE today. Of course they only had one copy of each. Perhaps it's some sort of random pot luck thing?
Old 09-11-07, 01:29 PM

I gave up and just ordered mine from Deepdiscount.

The B&M stores have really screwed the pooch on this one.

Three new releases I've been dying to see forever........ and not one local store is gonna stock them.

WTH!

Can't wait to see The Burning for the first time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.