Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do you collect DVD's?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Why do you collect DVD's?

Old 06-14-07, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
Because I can pay less to own the DVD than see it in theatres. Simple as that.
Originally Posted by Josh H
Not really that simple, as you could Netflix or rent elsewhere rather than cby and collect DVDs.
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
you missed the keyword in the sentence. "own"
This still isn't a satisfying answer. Obviously buying DVD's for you is cheaper than going to the cinema, but that doesn't provide any justification for actually owning them. If money was the only factor here, you would just sign up for Netflix or Blockbuster Online and save yourself a ton of money. The original topic asks why you collect DVD's, and part of that question is why do you feel the need to actually own them?
Old 06-14-07, 09:58 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jackson_Browne
This still isn't a satisfying answer. Obviously buying DVD's for you is cheaper than going to the cinema, but that doesn't provide any justification for actually owning them. If money was the only factor here, you would just sign up for Netflix or Blockbuster Online and save yourself a ton of money. The original topic asks why you collect DVD's, and part of that question is why do you feel the need to actually own them?
Yep, exactly what I was getting at.

You go to the theater just to SEE a movie once.
You rent a movie just to SEE a movie once.

Owning a movie is something more than that. If you just buy because it is cheaper to SEE the movie than going to the theater, that's not very sensible as it's even cheaper to use Netflix etc.

So, as you said, that doesn't really get at why one collects/owns DVDs which is the topic at hand. There's something more than just wanting to see the movie for the first time when you're collecting DVDs--which means buying to keep for good.
Old 06-15-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Who really cares if it isn't a satisfying enough answer for you. Its a perfectly good answer in my opinion & I do the exact same thing as gimmepilotwings does and I agree with him completely.
Not everyone likes to rent. Being that DVDs are my only major purchase every week next to food shopping I could care less if I spent $25 on a movie I haven't seen before. If the movie is that god damn terrible then either sell it to a used cd/dvd store that will give you cash for it or give it to a friend that is just happy to receive a free DVD & who would greatly appreciate it.
I have never bought a "Blind buy" that was so horrible that I had to sell or give away. There were some movies that I bought that I might not watch again but might want to revist in hell 20 years or so or when & if I have kids and they might say oh I wanted to see this movie that my friends parents were talking about or something like that.

Its just silly to say that not the a satisfying answer. Thats why he & I collect them and the big thing is- People can do whatever they want with their own money.
No ones answer is wrong.
Old 06-15-07, 11:40 AM
Retired

Fair enough.

I was getting more at that such a response doesn't get at the underlying reason why you guys collect DVDs.

I'd assume you collect them as you love to watch movies and want to own a collection so you can grab your favorites off the shelf and watch at any time you like.

You just own so many because you buy everything you're interested in rather than renting or going to the theater because you prefer it that way.

Seems like two different issues to me is all.

I buy movies I love and will rewatch as I like to have them around for convenience. Thus I collected films that I love more so than DVDs. But I have fewer than many of you as I go to the cinema, and use netflix, and thus screen out a lot of films that I don't think are worthy of owning.
Old 06-15-07, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i like cinema...

i have a collection that is large enough now that there is always a great movie i haven't watched in years...

people here mention 'netflix' and renting as an option... obviously you haven't thought that through... that is apples and oranges...

the titles available at Blockbuster or Hollywood is a joke... that's not an option at all... the fact that you didn't know that means you may be more of a 'popcorn' or 'new and popular' movie fan and didn't know the difference... therefore you wouldn't understand the collector that well at all...

Netflix is a lot better with title availability but again they don't have nearly enough titles available... so it's not an option...

and nothing is like having your own personal movie theater...
Old 06-15-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't understand the talk of a trade off between seeing it in a theatre and owning it for not much more of a cost. Really how often do you have that choice? Most of the time you are buying films that haven't been in the theatre for a while.
Old 06-15-07, 03:17 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Netflix is a lot better with title availability but again they don't have nearly enough titles available... so it's not an option...
That's going to very widely by tastes. I've never not be able to find a movie I wanted to see on Netflix.

But the point is valid to a degree for those with obscure tastes. But then again those could still just buy stuff they want to own (rather than just want to see), stuff they want to see and can't find on Netflix, and just rent the other stuff.

Not that it matters. It's just a semantics issue for me. Collecting to me means buying stuff that you specifically want to own for whatever reason. Buying films you like and want to own fits in that umbrella, blind buying just to watch something instead of renting or hitting the theater doesn't for me. That's buying out of convenience rather than collecting specifically. But again it's just semantics.
Old 06-15-07, 03:18 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
I don't understand the talk of a trade off between seeing it in a theatre and owning it for not much more of a cost. Really how often do you have that choice? Most of the time you are buying films that haven't been in the theatre for a while.
Well, obviously some prefer to just wait 6 months or whatever and buy the DVD vs catching it in the theater first, and then only buying it if they liked it enough to own.
Old 06-15-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh H
Collecting to me means buying stuff that you specifically want to own for whatever reason. Buying films you like and want to own fits in that umbrella, blind buying just to watch something instead of renting or hitting the theater doesn't for me. That's buying out of convenience rather than collecting specifically. But again it's just semantics.
well i guess under your scope of terms i am a collector...

i never blind buy just to watch something...

i buy things i know i want for the collection...

for instance 'Ghost Rider' will never be a part of my collection...

but with all the great cinema and movies out there i still have something like 1200 films... that's a guess as i've never actually counted or cataloged the collection...
Old 06-15-07, 03:59 PM

I think I collect mostly for sentimental reasons. If I really liked a movie, I want to own it so I can experience how it made me feel again whenever I want. If I am feeling down, I can pick something to watch that will cheer me up. If I need a good cry, I stick in something that made me sad. Likewise, my family really likes comedies, so we buy those and can watch whenever we need a good laugh.

I do blind buy if the price is right as I never know what I may really like. If the blurb on the back interests me or I have read or heard about the movie from elsewhere and the DVD is cheap (used or otherwise), I will buy it. I have bought and watched movies I would likely never watch again, and so every once in awhile I box those up and ship them off to Second Spin or whatever, and basically end up paying less than a rental would have been.

I also have children so I buy children's movies and movies that are educational in nature, documentaries, National Geographic, etc. that we can all enjoy. As they grow out of those, I will likely pare that down to just what I think are the best to have for when the grandkids come along or ones that I enjoy watching myself.

So, I mostly collect what I know and love with movies being just one subset under that big umbrella of sentiment.
Old 06-15-07, 05:06 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts
I collect because I know they are a great investment, and each DVD will be worth 10X what I bought it for in 10-15 years time.

[sarcasm]
Old 06-15-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
because paying bills is just no fun
Old 06-15-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1) Easy access
2) Only way to see certain international films
3) Some look so damn pretty sitting on the shelf!!

Last edited by visitor Q; 06-15-07 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-15-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1.) They look cool.
2.) They are cool. You can do so much more with them than you can an action figure, a baseball card, or a Beanie Baby -- you can watch them (and even interact with some) and generally get hours of entertainment from them.
3.) There's something for everyone (and quite a few things for me actually).
4.) I love films and still have a dream of selling a screenplay someday.
5.) There actually is some degree of value to them. Been much more successful selling DVDs than what I used to collect in my teen years (sports card and comics). Most people will accept 'mint' for an answer and you don't have to pay some jerk-off $20 just to grade the condition of it and give it his seal of approval.
Old 06-15-07, 08:08 PM
Cool New Member

1. Because the Gilmore Girls are cool. I can't rent Lorelai for one night like she's some kind of hussy!

2. Because my kids don't need new clothes. That's what yard sales are for, people.

3. Because rented DVDs are Petri dishes. They spread germs and disease, and should be outlawed. Remember: when you rent a DVD, you're having sex with every other person who rented that DVD.
Old 06-16-07, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

1. Because the Gilmore Girls are cool. I can't rent Lorelai for one night like she's some kind of hussy!

2. Because my kids don't need new clothes. That's what yard sales are for, people.

3. Because rented DVDs are Petri dishes. They spread germs and disease, and should be outlawed. Remember: when you rent a DVD, you're having sex with every other person who rented that DVD.
Rented DVDs like hookers are damaged goods.

This thread is turning into another Rent vs. Buying war.