DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   When are the Star Wars Steelbooks coming? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/502605-when-star-wars-steelbooks-coming.html)

Wannabe 06-05-07 12:55 PM

When are the Star Wars Steelbooks coming?

You just know it's gonna happen. I'm assuming it's a matter of when, not if. And yes, you will be triple dipping.

Fielding Mellish 06-05-07 01:05 PM

I will?

Wow. I haven't even single-dipped yet.

Looks like I have some serious catching up to do...

Yavin 06-05-07 01:09 PM

This whole repackaging and repackaging of dvds is really getting out of hand, first with new slipcovers, then with lenticular covers, and now with steelbooks.

I'd rather wait for the trilogy's 35th anniversary they'll be releasing all three original movies again in a special R2-D2 dome shaped packaging, with working lights and sounds, and with secret compartments that really open, and when you open the secret compartments bees fly out.

OldBoy 06-05-07 01:13 PM

this needs its own thread?

PixyJunket 06-05-07 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Yavin
This whole repackaging and repackaging of dvds is really getting out of hand..

What's out of hand is the "people" that feel obligated to rebuy every release of a movie.

Wannabe 06-05-07 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
this needs its own thread?

Yup.

Giles 06-05-07 01:33 PM

Fox/LucasFilms should have released the 30th Edition rerererelease in steelbook form

:horse:

Yavin 06-05-07 01:34 PM

Cool ... I've never witnessed the birth of a new 100 page Star Wars thread firsthand.

Daniel L 06-05-07 01:36 PM

No insert, no sale.

Giles 06-05-07 01:37 PM

no no, it's

no DTS=no sale...

;)

Bandit03 06-05-07 01:46 PM

No no no, its Greedo shoots first=no sale -wink-

dvd_luver 06-05-07 02:26 PM

I bet they at FOX pull this during the holiday season, like near christmas time this year or next year. Star Wars 2-disc steelbooks, now that will make the fans just go nuts, probably would be so hard to resist for the steelbook packaging. I see no reason at all why they shouldn't, it's not like a steelbook of The Omen is gonna make people lose control and rebuy for packaging (or at least most collectors). Unless these are all the steelbooks coming from FOX this year.

Admiral7 06-05-07 02:27 PM

Repackaging the same movie in a steelbook or lenticular cover or anything else isn't really out of hand at all. No one says you HAVE to buy it. If you choose to buy it, chances are you really don't mind, because you think the new packaging is so great. If you do mind, chances are you won't buy it anyway, so what possible difference does it make?

dvd_luver 06-05-07 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Admiral7
Repackaging the same movie in a steelbook or lenticular cover or anything else isn't really out of hand at all. No one says you HAVE to buy it. If you choose to buy it, chances are you really don't mind, because you think the new packaging is so great. If you do mind, chances are you won't buy it anyway, so what possible difference does it make?

Right on, people don't have to rebuy these for the steelbook packaging when the media inside is exactly the same. I chose to triple-dip on the Cast Away steelbook recently, despite wondering why the crap I was doing it, it was for the packaging. So getting people to 2dip or 3dip on a movie housed in a steelbook packaging or with a lenticular cover is completely on us the buyer and what we want for packaging for our favorite movies.

Fielding Mellish 06-05-07 02:37 PM

Cool ... I've never witnessed the birth of a new 100 page Star Wars thread firsthand.

:clap:

Does DVDTalk give out a "Post Of The Day" award?

Mr. Salty 06-05-07 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wannabe
Yup.

Nope.

bluetoast 06-05-07 03:12 PM

Snappers and flippers!

milo bloom 06-05-07 03:45 PM

Make the original versions 16x9 and I'll buy them in a paperbag. Steelbook would just be icing on the cake.

Josh-da-man 06-05-07 07:08 PM

If they do release the Star Wars movies in steelbooks, I hope to fuck that they use decent cover art (like the theatrical posters) and not the photoshop shit they've used on all of the previous DVD releases that look like it was done by a brain-damaged monkey.

BobSchlapowitz 06-05-07 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Make the original versions 16x9 and I'll buy them in a paperbag. Steelbook would just be icing on the cake.

Yeah what he said! 5.1 wouldn't hurt either.

tofferman 06-05-07 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom

Sorry, but you have a longer wait than you had anticipated...the 50th Anniversary I heard (somewhere) will finally present these films (original theatrical cuts) in 16x9...Steelbook versions will make you wait another 10 years...

Disc-Flipper 06-05-07 10:09 PM

I've got an idea!
They could sell blank Star Wars steel books so we can put our existing discs inside and not have to re-buy the movies again. The consumer could only pay a small price for these, and the studios wouldn't need to manufacture as many discs. DVD doesn't get worn out like VHS did.

danwiz 06-05-07 10:46 PM

I really like Disc Flipper's idea - just sell the EMPTY steelbooks to us and let us switch from the present packaging to the "NEW" packaging!! Right on!

dvd_luver 06-06-07 01:15 AM

I would like to see studios do this, right on, for like $6 or $7 a piece to house these movies in. I don't think they will though, but I agree they should try. They could even make them available for purchase on their websites only. Even steelbooks for 1-disc releases sounds nice to, but I don't see this happening at all.

The Monkees 06-06-07 01:59 AM

with secret compartments that really open, and when you open the secret compartments bees fly out.

:lol: :lol: :lol: