Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will Universal release a 75th Anniversary Edition of Boris Karloff's The Mummy?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Universal has consistently produced great-looking DVD releases of their classic monsters. Even though I already had the Legacy Collections with the busts, I happily double-dipped on last year's 75th Anniversary Dracula and Frankenstein sets - partly because they looked so cool too.

Does anyone know if Universal intends to release a similar package this year for the Mummy (1932)?
Old 06-03-07, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably not because of the Legacy collections
Old 06-03-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm just about ready to pick up the Mummy leagacy dvd very soon so a remasterd The Mummy would look very good, I do have both Dracula and Frankenstein legacy and 75th anniversary editions and they're great. I'd vote for a Mummy 75th anniversary edition dvd
Old 06-03-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
HD versions have been rumored and listed on the HD promo site for sometime. It's possible that we could still see them and DVD rereleases for the holidays.
Old 06-03-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Giant
Probably not because of the Legacy collections
Well, the ones the OP appears to be talking about are the older 2-disc sets. Those didn't stop Universal from releasing new 2-disc Legacy releases last year for Dracula and Frankenstein. Since they seem to be putting out the Legacys in waves of three (i.e. Mockingbird/Sting/Deer Hunter and then Frankenstein/Dracula/Double Indemnity), it would make sense to expect a Mummy LE, to go with the rumored Birds/Psycho Legacy discs later this year. Plus there is the third Mummy movie on the way, although that's a pretty tenuous connection.
Old 04-22-08, 06:01 PM
Banned

From thedigitalbits.com:

Universal has announced several new DVDs for release on 7/8, including a new 2-disc The Mummy: Special Edition (the 1932 film - a Legacy Series release - SRP $26.98), The Mummy: 2-Disc Deluxe Edition (the 1999 film), The Mummy Returns: 2-Disc Deluxe Edition, a Van Helsing: Collector's Edition, a Jet Li's Fearless: Director's Cut and Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan: The Complete Third Season. We'll have more details on the monster titles tomorrow (they're obviously set to promote the upcoming theatrical release of The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor on 8/1).
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents
Old 04-22-08, 06:07 PM
Banned

More news from dvdtimes.co.uk:

The Mummy (1932) (Special Edition)

Disc 1: Main Feature
1.33:1 Full Frame
English DD2.0 Mono
English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles
Mummy Dearest: A Horror Tradition Unearthed
Feature Commentary by Film Historian Paul M. Jenson
Feature Commentary by Rick Baker, Scott Essman, Steve Haberman, Bob Burns, and Brent Armstrong
Posters & Stills
Trailer Gallery
Disc 2: Extra Features
He Who Made Monsters: Life and Legacy of Jack Pierce
Unraveling the Legacy of The Mummy
Universal Horror Documentary
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=67551
Old 04-22-08, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks for the info! The Mummy (1932) cover art looks fantastic! I'll definitely double-dip on this.

I'd recommend the Legacy Series editions of Dracula and Frankenstein to any horror or classic film fan. They're both loaded with extras and the clamshell-style cases have beautiful art.
Old 06-03-08, 03:58 PM

The Mummy Legacy series Remasterd due out on 7/8. If it's like the other Special Editions of Dracula & Frankenstein, this should be great. And I will get this on release day.
Old 06-03-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I was in a store and I saw some double-feature Legacy Series release I didn't even know existed.
Old 06-21-08, 09:56 PM

With Dracula Frankenstein and now The Mummy (7/8/08) original movies being remastered, can The Wolfman and The Creature from the Black Lagoon be far off?
Old 06-22-08, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by JOE29
With Dracula Frankenstein and now The Mummy (7/8/08) original movies being remastered, can The Wolfman and The Creature from the Black Lagoon be far off?
Since Universal is filming a Wolfman remake at this minute, I'd say at least one of those is absolutely inevitable.
Old 06-22-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Since Universal is filming a Wolfman remake at this minute, I'd say at least one of those is absolutely inevitable.
Make that at least two being inevitable. They're doing a Creature remake too:
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0485799/
Old 06-22-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Good news about this one. During the first DVD run on the Classic Monster Collection I loved the commentary tracks on every one, but the Mummy. That one was boring as hell. Thankfully this version will have a new commentary to go along with a new transfer. Can't wait.
Old 07-01-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD Active has the screen menus:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...ummy-1932.html
Old 07-03-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

$16.99 right now at Amazon...pretty good deal (37% off).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0018BD9F8/
Old 07-06-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

here's a letter Scott Essman sent out about this dvd

Friends:

The new 1932 MUMMY DVD is done and due in summer! The documentary is called THE LIFE AND ART OF JACK PIERCE but may be changed. The director originally wanted FATHER OF FRANKENSTEIN, which was also the name of the book which inspired the movie GODS AND MONSTERS.

In the commentary session were film historian/collector Bob Burns, ardent Mummy student Steve Haberman, and special makeup effects sculptor/artist and original Mummy makeup re-creator Brent Armstrong. It was a full 75 (approx) minutes of talking about the film and the U Monsters in general. Rick Baker provided additional commentary but was not on site at the time of the others.

The doc features interviews with special makeup effects artists Baker, plus Howard Berger, Michele Burke, Tom Burman, Bill Corso, Nick Dudman, Kevin Haney, Greg Nicotero, Tom Savini and others. It is a lot of fun and a spirited tribute to Pierce in the 25 allotted minutes. Lots of cool photos and some footage abound. I hope that you will all be pleased.

In absolute truth, I feel VERY lucky to have been asked to consult on this DVD and to have some of my words used in this project. I have been a total monster squid since the early 1970s when I was a schoolchild (I'm 41 now), and I feel extremely fortunate to have turned my passion into legitimate works that people can enjoy. Next, I will throw all my weight into getting Pierce his Hollywood star!

Now that it's done, onto MUMMY III publicity - but please don't damn this movie as it is the WHOLE reason that a new Mummy 1932 DVD is being released!!!

SE
Old 07-06-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by seymouru
$16.99 right now at Amazon...pretty good deal (37% off).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0018BD9F8/
I ordered mine. Can't wait for it to ship.
Old 07-06-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
here's a letter Scott Essman sent out about this dvd

Friends:

The new 1932 MUMMY DVD is done and due in summer! The documentary is called THE LIFE AND ART OF JACK PIERCE but may be changed. The director originally wanted FATHER OF FRANKENSTEIN, which was also the name of the book which inspired the movie GODS AND MONSTERS.

In the commentary session were film historian/collector Bob Burns, ardent Mummy student Steve Haberman, and special makeup effects sculptor/artist and original Mummy makeup re-creator Brent Armstrong. It was a full 75 (approx) minutes of talking about the film and the U Monsters in general. Rick Baker provided additional commentary but was not on site at the time of the others.

The doc features interviews with special makeup effects artists Baker, plus Howard Berger, Michele Burke, Tom Burman, Bill Corso, Nick Dudman, Kevin Haney, Greg Nicotero, Tom Savini and others. It is a lot of fun and a spirited tribute to Pierce in the 25 allotted minutes. Lots of cool photos and some footage abound. I hope that you will all be pleased.

In absolute truth, I feel VERY lucky to have been asked to consult on this DVD and to have some of my words used in this project. I have been a total monster squid since the early 1970s when I was a schoolchild (I'm 41 now), and I feel extremely fortunate to have turned my passion into legitimate works that people can enjoy. Next, I will throw all my weight into getting Pierce his Hollywood star!

Now that it's done, onto MUMMY III publicity - but please don't damn this movie as it is the WHOLE reason that a new Mummy 1932 DVD is being released!!!

SE
Thanks you Cameron for the info and buy the way do you remember a tv Special from one of the big three back in the day (ABC-NBC OR CBS).

It was about an hour long program and it had Dracula's castle in the begining and the titles were in Orange.
Old 07-07-08, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Why did Bride of Frankenstein get the shaft with the Legacy series? It such an essential film that is, in my opinion, better than Frankenstein.
Old 07-09-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sad news to tell everone that this is not remastered.

It looks the same as always lot's dirt on frame and one long black streak down the left-side of the screen for few seconds other than that it is what it is.

I still love the movie and wonder about that Universal Horror Documentary did it need to be on this DvD?

I ratter that they put one those sequel as a bonus.
Old 07-09-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These movies are in pretty sad shape. Even the remasters of Frankenstein and Dracula are pretty rough. I was never too concerned about getting these in HD until they really do a major restoration.
Old 07-09-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That is a major drag that the transfer has not been remastered for this edition - The Mummy is my absolute favorite classic Universal horror film.