Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Updates on the rumored Psycho re-release?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Updates on the rumored Psycho re-release?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Collector's Edition, but I will definitely be picking this one up.
Old 07-09-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Looks like this will be the edition I've waited years for.
Old 07-09-08, 03:19 PM

Great cover. I have the Collector's Edition, but I can't pass this up. Looks like a thumbs up to Universal.
Old 07-10-08, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would really love some 100% accurate information on if these will be new transfers or not. I'm seriously considering on just biting on the MC box.
Old 07-11-08, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Giving that The Mummy (1932) Legacy was not Remastered.

I don't what we will get with Psycho?
Old 08-14-08, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not related to the upcoming SE, but there was an interesting tidbit about possible censored/deleted scenes from Psycho in Glenn Erickson's August 9th column:
Hello again. The buzz this week is about Psycho. Several web boards have mentioned the existence of an uncut copy shown on German television -- Tim Lucas tipped off the rest of us at his Video Watchblog a few days back. Back in 1998 Savant reported on the curious inclusion of cut frame grabs in the Truffaut/Hitchcock book, but my conclusions there appear to have been wrong. Hitch didn't give Truffaut the peek-a-boo frames as a prank.

The core evidence is at a German site called Schnittberichte that specializes in cataloguing cut scenes. On their page can be seen images from two of the three scenes in contention. It appears that the extra five seconds of shots showing Norman Bates watching Marion Crane disrobe were officially part of the movie, and not just an outtake as shown in making-of extras on the Psycho special edition -- in fact, the shots are said to have been intact in the English release. But this German telecast showed close-ups of blood on Norman's hands after the shower murder as well. Not shown on the site but alleged to be part of an "uncut" print are an extra knife stab or two in the famous demise of Arbogast, extending the fade-out the bottom of the stairs.

So fans naturally are demanding that the "uncut" version be restored, which brings up a tricky issue. First, Universal may not have intact printing elements for all the new footage on this pre-censorship version. But also, Alfred Hitchcock had twenty years in which to replace the scenes, had he wanted to; and he certainly had the ability to do so at any time, considering his power as a major Universal shareholder. When Psycho was reissued in 1970 or so the ads touted that it was complete, but the prints were the same standard U.S. cut. So it's difficult to make a case for anything but the standard shorter version as Hitchcock's preferred cut. Then again, the disrobing scene was included in an official release version (in the U.K.) so a strong argument can also be made for its restoration.
Old 09-28-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Anybody get this early?
Old 10-07-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Has anyone's copy shipped from Amazon yet? I would have expected mine to ship yesterday, like all new releases usually do (the day before release), but that didn't happen; it hasn't even entered the "We are preparing these items for shipment..." phase. Additionally, when I place another copy in my cart, the expected delivery date is October 14, even with my Prime account. I really hope there isn't too big of a delay, 'cause I wanted to watch it this week.
Old 10-07-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Vipper II
Has anyone's copy shipped from Amazon yet? I would have expected mine to ship yesterday, like all new releases usually do (the day before release), but that didn't happen; it hasn't even entered the "We are preparing these items for shipment..." phase. Additionally, when I place another copy in my cart, the expected delivery date is October 14, even with my Prime account. I really hope there isn't too big of a delay, 'cause I wanted to watch it this week.
I ordered 2 other titles along with the Hitchcocks, but those shipped the other day. Still waiting for Psycho/Rear Window/Vertigo.
Old 10-07-08, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I ordered 2 other titles along with the Hitchcocks, but those shipped the other day. Still waiting for Psycho/Rear Window/Vertigo.
Same thing here. Very odd, as they show all of these in stock today.
Old 10-07-08, 11:41 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts
i ordered Psycho and Touch of Evil from Best Buy and those shipped yesterday.
Old 10-07-08, 11:58 PM

My BB told me they don't carry this title.

Old 10-08-08, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Target, BB, WM, CC and Borders near me didnt get it in according to their in store availabity. Found it for $18.99 at Rasputin. Cant wait to check it out.
Old 10-08-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Costco had a bunch of copies of all three for only $16 each
Old 10-08-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hard to believe no one got a copy of this one yet for review.

-beebs
Old 10-08-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm gonna go through with the 2 for $30 through Best Buy.com this upcoming Friday when I get paid.
Old 10-08-08, 03:13 PM
Ven

BB didn't have it, but FYE and Saturday Matinee did.
Old 10-08-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My copy shipped yesterday (8/7) and arrived today with Prime shipping.
Old 10-08-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Superdaddy
My copy shipped yesterday (8/7) and arrived today with Prime shipping.
Yeah, same thing here.

Boy, Universal did a hell of a job at cleaning this up. I've been spoiled by Blu-ray/HD DVD, yet I didn't find anything wrong with this new transfer that couldn't be chalked up to the movie's age.
Old 10-08-08, 09:12 PM

Both Psycho Legacy and the 3-DVD Rob Zombie's Halloween shipped from Amazon yesterday. I refuse to pay for Amazon Prime, so my expected delivery date is 10/14. However, even with the free shipping, I typically have the week's new releases by Friday or Saturday.