King of the Hill Season 7-10 on DVD Update

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-25-07, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife found this on the King of the Hill "official" myspace page:

"Hey,
I know a lot you people have expressed interest in a King of the Hill season 7 DVD. There are no current plans for a release, but you can call the Fox Consumer Relations line and request it at (888) 223-2369. Hopefully if enough people say they want seasons 7,8,9 and 10 they'll work to release them.
Thanks for supporting King of the Hill, and enjoy the season finale Sunday, May 20th!
Tami (from the King of the Hill offices in Encino, California "

Why would Fox do this since they've released 1-6 already?
Old 05-25-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This series is an incredibly poor seller. That was why they stopped putting any extras on there. I guess its just not worth it for them to release the rest of the seasons. In cases like this I wish they would give the rights to a third party like Shout Factory.
Old 05-25-07, 10:16 AM

I guess they don't care if we already have 1-6 and want the rest of the series.
Old 05-25-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can not understand how these sets were such poor sellers. I just finished seasons 1-6 in the span of 2 months and I need more

Here's hoping they will finish off the series...
Old 05-25-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I get mad when they release 1 season and then decide they don't want to release the rest because it didn't sell as well as they wanted it to but whe your up to fuckin' season 6 that just shows really, really poor loyalty to the customers.
King of the Hill will never be a huge seller so I wonder how poor the sales really are cause if they are expecting it to sell like the simpsons or family guy, sadly it never will be as big a seller so FOX should maybe lower there expectations or like darkside said give it to a third party like short factory.
Old 05-25-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Son of a bitch. This is one of my favorite shows.
Old 05-25-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dang it, I want the rest too. Ive watched the first seasons so many times.
Old 05-25-07, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I literally had the season six boxset on in the background last night as I was putting together my dining room and doing some extra cleaning/organizing. I fail to see how, if they're simply putting the episodes on the DVD as they have been, how they wouldn't at least make enough to continue with them. Sigh.
Old 05-25-07, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always wondered how many box sets they would need to sell to break even...at the very least they should do it to please the fans who have supported the show all these years.
Old 05-25-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The thing I don't get is companies like Shout Factory seem to do fine selling shows that are very niche. If they can do well selling Home Movies on DVD you would think they could sell even more copies of King of the Hill.
I don't think this is a case of King of the Hill losing money as much as it is King of the Hill not making Fox enough money for them to care.
I'm tired of these companies sitting on things people want. License it to a third party so the audience for a series can enjoy it even if we are a small audience. I'm very pissed that Warner abandoned Night Court after only 1 season.
Old 05-25-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
I don't think this is a case of King of the Hill losing money as much as it is King of the Hill not making Fox enough money for them to care.
That's exactly it. I find it very hard to believe that King Of The Hill would be selling so poorly as to make them lose money. The problem is the studios seem to expect every show they release to sell at the same levels as The Simpsons or Seinfeld.

I really hope they reconsider and release the last seasons. I'm so sick of studios abandoning shows and leaving us hanging. I like collecting TV series, but when this keeps happening it really makes me think twice before I start a new show.
Old 05-25-07, 05:01 PM
Banned

I Am Furious!
Old 05-25-07, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by jsz1002
My wife found this on the King of the Hill "official" myspace page:

"Hey,
I know a lot you people have expressed interest in a King of the Hill season 7 DVD. There are no current plans for a release, but you can call the Fox Consumer Relations line and request it at (888) 223-2369. Hopefully if enough people say they want seasons 7,8,9 and 10 they'll work to release them.
Thanks for supporting King of the Hill, and enjoy the season finale Sunday, May 20th!
Tami (from the King of the Hill offices in Encino, California "

Why would Fox do this since they've released 1-6 already?

Why? Because they're not in business to lose money.

Sorry to be blunt, but it is ALWAYS that simple. Decisions are made based on which way is better for the company, money-wise.

Gord and I got an e-mail about this, the day it went up. Gord's response was that the stated plan ("call the Fox Consumer Relations line and request it") won't work. The only thing he feels will work, is more people going out and buying the existing sets (thereby showing a desire for the show DVDs that would meet Fox's sales requirements). THEN the studio would change their mind. I tend to agree.

Yeah, we know that sucks, because you are fans and you already have your copies and it's very hard for you to convince tons of other people to go buy this show, if they're not already inclined to buy it on DVD. Fans of "Boy Meets World" (Disney title) were in the same pickle, and never got out of it. Fans of "Mary Tyler Moore" (Fox title) were able, on the other hand, to convince enough other people to buy the Season 1 DVDs, to convince the studio to continue with more releases.

But Fox is currently faced with a set amount of cash to use to produce a certain number of TV-DVD box sets in a given fiscal period, and they can produce more of what's not selling, or they can produce something else that probably will sell. If you were in their shoes, and keeping your job meant making a good decision for the company's "bottom line" (profit/loss), what would you do?

Logic sucks, don't it? I'll tell you what!

Oh, one more thing: to think that it would be cool for Fox to license a show out to an indie studio, like Shout! or BCI or Image, that's a great idea if you ask me and Gord. We've asked a LOT of studios about doing that. Sadly, many studios apparently have corporate guidance policies which state that they will not do licenses like that. So there's no way to get around those rules, and they're stuck. More suckiness.
Old 05-25-07, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No current plans for a release????? There is an insert in the damn Season 6 set!

Why does this have to be on Fox

Why the hell do they release garbage like Family Guy and not this?
Old 05-25-07, 07:49 PM

Family Guy sells.
Old 05-25-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Going back to what I said yesterday...I started watching this series knowing that they stopped production after season 6. I figured, i'll have more then enough seasons to hold me over, but I finished all 6 seasons in what seemed like record time. I am begging for more, and I can't believe I never gave this show a chance all these years.
Old 05-25-07, 08:12 PM

Family Guy is for retards. Where do retards get money for DVDs?
Old 05-25-07, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by nateman241
I get mad when they release 1 season and then decide they don't want to release the rest because it didn't sell as well as they wanted it to but whe your up to fuckin' season 6 that just shows really, really poor loyalty to the customers.
And Fox is pissed because the fans don't show any loyalty to buying the DVDs.

Gord
Old 05-25-07, 09:58 PM

I price matched a bunch of the King of the Hills at Best Buy during the Fry's Appreciation Days - $10.99 each last weekend!
Old 05-26-07, 12:58 AM

Fox has liscensed out at least one show before. They liscenced out Doogie Howser to Anchor Bay. Anchor Bay released all 4 seasons at a resonable MSRP, and as far as I know the show was completley intact (includeing what seemed to be quite a bit of popular music). So maybe there is hope for KOTH, MTM, Newhart, Mr. Belvedere, and dare I dream...The Wonder Years.
Old 05-26-07, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by David Lambert
But Fox is currently faced with a set amount of cash to use to produce a certain number of TV-DVD box sets in a given fiscal period, and they can produce more of what's not selling, or they can produce something else that probably will sell. If you were in their shoes, and keeping your job meant making a good decision for the company's "bottom line" (profit/loss), what would you do?
Honestly, I would find a way to produce sets for fans who really want them. Be it "prepaid pre-orders" or some other way. I'm up for other ideas.

Perhaps it's my total lack of the "corporate way" of thinking, but I think it'd be possible to satisfy both the fans and the "bottom line".
Old 05-26-07, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is bullshit. It's because of things like this that I will stop buying TV sets soon. Why should I buy their new Fall Guy set at $50 when they won't release the subsequent ones because "they're not selling." Release the whole series in one box set right off the bat and I'll buy them.
Old 05-26-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am curious to know what Fox thinks is a good sales numbers for King of the Hill. Are they trying to expect Simpsons/Family Guy type numbers or are they understanding this show has a smaller but dedicated audience.

I'd support them putting it out and charging a few bucks more per set, but making lower production runs. The fans that want it can buy it and they aren't out any more money, and maybe made some extra by tacking on a few dollars to the final price of each set.

I understand they are in the business to make money, but shit gets released all the time that you can't expect me to believe moves many units, and I am talking about movies here. If they can find a market for lower selling movies, why should TV shows have to suffer because they can't sell like Simpsons or Friends?
Old 05-26-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by David Lambert
If you were in their shoes, and keeping your job meant making a good decision for the company's "bottom line" (profit/loss), what would you do?
In all honesty, if the choice was between profit and loss, I'd support not releasing it. That would have to come after honest transparent discussion based on factual figures and exactly how much loss. Like others have said though, I highly doubt it represents a loss but rather not enough of a profit to protect careerism based employees and stockholders bottom line demands and profit margins.

If I believed that was the case, I'd honestly do my best to state it might be worth respecting our products and customers and explore other options. If that cost me my job, so be it. There are enough politcians in the world already that care about protecting the "company" for a paycheck more than doing ones job as best they can and let the chips fall where they may.
Old 05-26-07, 05:17 PM

That's too bad. I also have 1-6. Along with my 1-3 seasons of "Hunter", I'm now the sad owner of two abandoned series.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.