Reload this Page >

Fantastic Planet - Masters Of Cinema Edition

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-22-07, 04:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading the review of this disc, and was interested in buying it. Does anyone know if there is more than one version of this disc from Eureka Entertainment Ltd?

At CD Wow, they list it as NTSC format, region 0. At Amazon UK, it is listed as PAL format, region 0. Every thing I've been able to find about the disc says that it is encoded NTSC, so I'm thinking that it's just a mistake at Amazon UK.

I tried to order from CD Wow, but they're having trouble accepting credit cards. I've ordered from Amazon UK before, so I would like to go with them.

However, I thought I would ask first if anyone knew if there were different versions of this disc from Eureka or just the NTSC version and Amazon UK had a mistake in their description.

Thanks.....
Old 05-22-07, 05:53 PM

I don't know, but Anchor Bay released a region 1 edition, might be out of print?

also here's the website for MAsters of Cinema, http://www.mastersofcinema.org/

Last edited by Mr Pixies; 05-22-07 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-22-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would say Amazon's description is wrong. I have it and it is NTSC region 0. DVD Beaver' review lists it as NTSC as well. MOC also released Kwaidan in NTSC format. Amazon UK is probably not used to NTSC and listed it as PAL reflexively. Eureka probably does it to keep from doing a conversion which would adversely affect quality. You have to give them props for that. Before anybody else says it, this probably belongs in the International Forum.
Old 05-22-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have it (ordered from Amazon.uk). It's NTSC, Region 0.

(And it blows the Anchor Bay OOP edition out of the water. It isn't even close. )
Old 05-22-07, 08:14 PM
Banned

Thanks for the replies all. Great news.

I have the old Anchor Bay version, so I'm really looking forward to getting this upgrade.

Off to put my order in. Thanks again......
Old 05-22-07, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great DVD.
Old 05-31-07, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 895 Likes on 720 Posts
I can't find this title listed at CDWOW. Can anyone provide a direct link?

Also, currently the price for this incl. shipping to the US seems to be right around $30 at Amazon.co.uk. Has anyone gotten it for a cheaper price / or can provide a link to another source?
Old 06-02-07, 05:10 PM

Fantastic Planet - Masters of Cinema Edition

Does the Masters Of Cinema DVD have removable English subtitles? The Anchor Bay version has permanent subtitles, but has 2 more short films that you can't get on the MOC DVD. What are the pros and cons of the MOC edition?
Old 06-02-07, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Swiski
Does the Masters Of Cinema DVD have removable English subtitles? The Anchor Bay version has permanent subtitles, but has 2 more short films that you can't get on the MOC DVD. What are the pros and cons of the MOC edition?
Ditto... I'm curious.... DVD Beaver doesn't do a comparison. It also may not have two of the shorts on the Anchor Bay version, but it looks to have a completely different short, as well, plus the booklet. From the screen grabs and words on thw OAR, it looks like this new version has a better image. Plus the website note that the soundtrack is included??? Or are they boasting an improved soundtrack? Who owns this can they verify it has the extra CD soundtrack and the other stuff.
Old 06-03-07, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Swiski
They are optional white font subtitles.
Pros of MoC: The best looking print available in anamorphic 1.66:1
Cons: The print is still not exactly pristine. Quite a lot of dirt and debris visible.

The soundtrack itself is on the DVD, not a separate CD.
It plays on a static menu background, and you can choose tracks of course.

The soundtrack certainly sounds good on that option,
but the soundtrack with the film, as with many MoC releases, sound poor compared to say, Criterion counterparts. Still the best version out there for English speakers.
Old 06-05-07, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI: For those with the old copies and upgrading, Ebay is fetching a pretty high price right now.
Old 06-05-07, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mod note: Please just use the RTP feature to report spam & don't quote/comment on it.... it just makes it that much harder to clean up thx

I plan to keep my Anchor Bay release because it has some shorts that are not on this new version.

Last edited by nemein; 06-05-07 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-05-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, I too plan on keeping my AB disc for the additional shorts plus the trailer that are not on the MOC. However, as stated already, the image is so much better on the MOC and it's anamorphic, plus subs can be removed. The option of playing the entire soundtrack on the disc is a plus, too...although I would've enjoyed it on a separate CD.