Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Inland Empire - 8/14/2007

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
One more shot: Can anyone scan me a high-res pic of the Borders cover? Mine is signed and I need a clean scan of the cover art. Any help is greatly appreciated.

It's the same one found at this address: http://www.manmadebrain.com/inlandempire.jpg
Old 08-16-07, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's funny, the covers look kinda bootleggish, with the "2-DISK" on the bottom like that (versus "2-DISC").
Old 08-16-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by darmok
it's funny, the covers look kinda bootleggish, with the "2-DISK" on the bottom like that (versus "2-DISC").
The word I would use is 'amateurish', especially in the use of the quote "A Woman in Trouble" as if it were a critic's blurb or something. It looks like Lynch designed the covers himself.
Old 08-16-07, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got mine today from Amazon with that cover.

Last edited by Nth Power; 08-16-07 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-16-07, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, you may be right on that one! very amateurish, definitely not designed by somebody with layout/design experience. look at that apostraphe taking up a whole character (groan). oh well, if Lynch did design this himself, he should consider getting somebody cheap to do this for him next time. i'm sure he'd have legions of fans at his disposal who'd even do it for free.

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The word I would use is 'amateurish', especially in the use of the quote "A Woman in Trouble" as if it were a critic's blurb or something. It looks like Lynch designed the covers himself.
Old 08-17-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
If it wasn't Lynch, it was whoever designed his other releases: Eraserhead and davidlynch.com both look like that.

One thing I liked about ordering Eraserhead is that the box it came in was a huge black box that said "David Lynch" on it. I forget what happened to it though.
Old 08-17-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

agreed. Very similar to the looks of Eraserhead and the short films of david lynch sets.
Old 08-17-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, i kept that black "shoebox", as i call it. very very cool for shipping packaging! too bad the deluxe packaging for the DVDs themselves was a bit awkward. there's some gum on the envelope that can stick to the disc if it's not in perfectly.

Originally Posted by The Bus
One thing I liked about ordering Eraserhead is that the box it came in was a huge black box that said "David Lynch" on it. I forget what happened to it though.
Old 08-17-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what a great collection this DVD is, definitely in my top 3 DVDs of all time, even the Lynch cooking segment is awesome.

the only negative thing i can say about it is that the scissors (i dont know the name of it) short from Cannes wasnt on it. at first, i thought BALLERINA was it, but its not, thats something different. the scissors short goes perfectly with Inland Empire and would have been great to have it included here.

heres the short im referring to...
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P9Q7ZKH7G4A"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P9Q7ZKH7G4A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 08-20-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this yesterday and i got the worst headache half way through this movie, i kept watching even with my headache. The picture was dark in many places. Just when i thought the movie was about to end.... it didn't, just kept going on and on. I really don't know what to say about the movie. It made no sense at all. Then again it was my first look at the movie. I'm not going to look at it again for awhile. I get a headache just thinking about seeing it again. Mulholand Drive i enjoyed, this is will take a lot more viewing to understand. A whole lot more.

Last edited by roger_d; 08-21-07 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-20-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
This film will take multiple viewings to sink in. In the end, I don't think Lynch intended it to ever be fully comprehensible.

P.S. - Can you imagine someone watching this film with no prior Lynch reference??
Old 08-20-07, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
This film will take multiple viewings to sink in. In the end, I don't think Lynch intended it to ever be fully comprehensible.

P.S. - Can you imagine someone watching this film with no prior Lynch reference??
Very true. I consider myself to be pretty well-versed in the universe of Lynch, but he has gradually been moving away from a linear, plot-like approach to his films for quite awhile. I haven't seen IE yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing just how 'out there' it is. I find I enjoy his work better when I try not to make it fit into a story or structure. He can create atmosphere and mood with a scene unlike anybody else and those feelings stay with me long after the film has ended.
Old 08-20-07, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jippy
Very true. I consider myself to be pretty well-versed in the universe of Lynch, but he has gradually been moving away from a linear, plot-like approach to his films for quite awhile. I haven't seen IE yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing just how 'out there' it is. I find I enjoy his work better when I try not to make it fit into a story or structure. He can create atmosphere and mood with a scene unlike anybody else and those feelings stay with me long after the film has ended.
My advice is to just enjoy each scene in the film, don't try to figure anything out while you are watching it. Later you'll come up with ideas, talk to others about them, and after a second viewing you should be able to figure enough of it out.

I have a pretty good idea what I think went on and what it all means.
Old 08-20-07, 09:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by roger_d
The picture was dark in many places.
For those who also thought that it was really dark, I suggest, if you have not already done so, doing the tv calibration on the title menu. I had watched it for the first time skipping this important step and while it kept my attention throughout I was only able to hear sounds and had no clue what the heck was happening. My thinking while I was watching it was that it was because of the DV. After doing the calibration I started the movie again and it was amazing how much of a difference there was. The movie was quite beautiful and it totally changed my thinking about the film.
Old 09-03-07, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z

The "A Woman in Trouble" on the front cover made me laugh. About 10 years ago I saw a Lynch interview (I think it was on Letterman) where he was plugging 'Lost Highway' and he described it as film about "a woman in trouble". and that was all he said regarding the plot. I find it amusing that he can use that description for nearly every one of his films.