Reload this Page >

Zodiac: -7/24/07

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Zodiac: -7/24/07

Old 07-07-07, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts
Originally Posted by David Prior
I'm not sure who your source is, but they're not entirely correct. It's accurate to say that nobody outside the studio wanted two releases, but that was a foregone conclusion a while ago. It's true that Fincher did not want the two releases to be staggered -- nobody did, in fact. However the studio would not or could not change the release date, so Fincher agreed to stagger the releases to allow more time for the special edition material. Simple as that.
Wow long time no post, David. Nice to see you here again. I take it you're working on the SE? I'm a big fan of well-produced extras so I'll definitely wait.
Old 07-07-07, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the re-welcome, Tom. I am indeed working on Zodiac -- have been for what feels like a lifetime now. If you wait for the DC, I hope you'll be satisfied with it.

Nobody wants fans feeling like they're being taken advantage of, and I know that double-dipping creates that impression. That's why it was so important to me that consumers be told there was another version coming. In this case it really was a rock-and-a-hard place situation, and delaying the second release was done strictly for the benefit of the final product.

Cheers.
Old 07-07-07, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Since a lot of people missed Zodiac in the theaters, I'm sure they'll be willing to pick up this initial release as a rental, and when they realize how great it is, they'll buy the eventual uber-edition.

BTW, any idea how much longer the director's cut will be?
Old 07-07-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Zodiac is great and although I will definitely skip the barebones, count me on for the director's edition when its released.
Old 07-07-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I will wait for the SE release, I really enjoyed this film and really want some special features looking at the Zodiac case in real life.

So inevitably, I'll wait until they cancel it because no one bought the barebones I and most others will skip.
Old 07-07-07, 11:03 PM

Hi David,

Would you happen to know if the DC will be available in any of the High Def formats?

Thanks
Old 07-08-07, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mr. Prior I am not counting against anything you say, as your very well informed.

I just know someone who is very close to finchers circle. But that doesn't mean by the time he/she gets the info it hasn't been "jaded" somewhat.

Can you confim Fincher did alot of work on the dvd features before the bare bones edition was announced?

Also, I agree with you about informing fans about future re-releases of a title. It was mentioned that a trailer for the SE will appear before the Bare Bones disc, What good is that? If someone is unaware of the SE coming out and picks up the bare bones disc, isn't a commerical rubbing it in their face? Wouldn't a better idea be a sticker on the packaging stating " Movie only edition, Special Edition due out this fall".... I'm sure the studio would love that!
Old 07-08-07, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the re-welcome, Tom. I am indeed working on Zodiac -- have been for what feels like a lifetime now. If you wait for the DC, I hope you'll be satisfied with it.

Nobody wants fans feeling like they're being taken advantage of, and I know that double-dipping creates that impression. That's why it was so important to me that consumers be told there was another version coming. In this case it really was a rock-and-a-hard place situation, and delaying the second release was done strictly for the benefit of the final product.

Cheers.
I cannot wait for this SE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes!!!!! Sucks that it's going to be next year though. Hopefully a rental will get me through until then. I really hope there are features based on the historical aspect of this case (maybe something similar to what A&E had for its Case Files episode that was based on the Zodiac killer?).
Old 07-08-07, 01:55 AM

Great to hear! I loved the movie, and will wait patiently for the SE.
Old 07-08-07, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
Mr. Prior I am not counting against anything you say, as your very well informed.

I just know someone who is very close to finchers circle. But that doesn't mean by the time he/she gets the info it hasn't been "jaded" somewhat.

Can you confim Fincher did alot of work on the dvd features before the bare bones edition was announced?
I'm sure your friend told you what they believed to be true (and I probably know who it is), and as I said, they were generally correct. As the person creating the DVD features, I can confirm that there was an enormous amount of work done before the announcement -- indeed, the majority of it was completed in an effort to meet the original date. But this is a very ambitious project, easily the most far-reaching I've ever worked on, and owing largely to studio snafus that I can't really elaborate on, I didn't have enough time to do it properly. Thus Fincher bought me the extra time by agreeing to a staggered release, which I'm very grateful for.

To answer another, yes the DC will be available in HD as well. But be forewarned -- the theatrical cut will only be available on the barebones edition.
Old 07-08-07, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
But this is a very ambitious project, easily the most far-reaching I've ever worked on...
Holy shit!
Knowing the previous stuff you've worked on, that's saying a lot.
Old 07-08-07, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the theatrical cut will only be available on the barebones edition.
I was actually about to ask about that. Oh well. Maybe if I enjoy the theatrical cut, I'll pick up the bare-bones edition. Just the completist in me.
Old 07-08-07, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
Holy shit!
Knowing the previous stuff you've worked on, that's saying a lot.
Exactly what I was thinking too. This is shaping up to be one fantastic release and yet another benchmark in his collective work.
Old 07-08-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll be picking every release of this great film. Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated, Mr. Prior! It is sincerely appreciated. Personally, your work has added much enjoyment to my movie watching experiences over the last several years. Thank you for your efforts and attention to detail. The feature I'm dying most to hear is a technical commentary by Fincher and Harris Savides dealing with their experience with the Viper and how Haggis found the experience compared to film. Any chance?

By the way, you can let Finch know if he ever wants to be hassled all to hell, he could always sign up here! On the other hand, it'd probably lead to a very messy lawsuit for myself...
Old 07-08-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But this is a very ambitious project, easily the most far-reaching I've ever worked on...
I'm not familiar with your previous work, but I'm quite curious now. Might you elaborate on other projects on which you have worked?

--THX
Old 07-08-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
I'm not familiar with your previous work, but I'm quite curious now. Might you elaborate on other projects on which you have worked?

--THX
Pearl Harbor 4-disc, Blade II 2-disc, Fight Club 2-disc, Panic Room 3-disc... just off the top of my head.
Old 07-08-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe this is David's IMDB page

According to his "Other Works"

Produced the 2-Disc DVD for Bad Boys II (2003).

Produced the 2-Disc Edition DVD for Fight Club (1999).

Produced the 2-Disc Edition DVD for The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975).

Produced the 2-Disc Five Star Collection DVD for Die Hard (1988).

Produced the 2-Disc Special Edition DVD for Big Trouble in Little China (1986).

Produced the 2-Disc Special Edition DVD for Planet of the Apes (2001).

Produced the 3-Disc Special Edition DVD for Panic Room (2002).

Produced the 4-Disc Vista Series Director's Cut DVD for Pearl Harbor (2001).

Produced the DVD for Ravenous (1999).

Produced the extra features for the 2-Disc Platinum Series DVD for Blade II (2002).

Produced the featurettes and commentary for the 2-Disc Platinum Series DVD for Freddy Vs. Jason (2003).

Produced the Platinum Series DVD for The Cell (2000) with Charles de Lauzirika.
Old 07-08-07, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Holy flurking schnit! I'm officially impressed. Yes, this is shaping up to be one damn fine DVD release next year. Wonder if we're talking two discs or more.

--THX
Old 07-08-07, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey David...just a question, I wanted to know if you were the one working on the Adaptation SE or if you knew what happened to it? Sony seems like they've decided to never release it and I think a lot of people on this board are tired of waiting so if you have any light to shed on the subject at all that'd be great. I know this isn't really the Ask David Questions thread but it's probably one of the few totally missing special editions I've been waiting for forever and I was hoping I could get some sort of answer about what happened.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 07-08-07 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-09-07, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Hey David...just a question, I wanted to know if you were the one working on the Adaptation SE or if you knew what happened to it? Sony seems like they've decided to never release it and I think a lot of people on this board are tired of waiting so if you have any light to shed on the subject at all that'd be great. I know this isn't really the Ask David Questions thread but it's probably one of the few totally missing special editions I've been waiting for forever and I was hoping I could get some sort of answer about what happened.
Sorry, man. No idea. But the next time I see Jonze I'll be sure to ask him about it.
Old 07-09-07, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i have a question for you Mr.David, are we ever going to see a re-release of the SE of Big Trouble in Little China?,or should we just give up and buy what's in the amazon.com marketplace ATM?
Old 07-09-07, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by animatedude
i have a question for you Mr.David, are we ever going to see a re-release of the SE of Big Trouble in Little China?,or should we just give up and buy what's in the amazon.com marketplace ATM?
Given all studios' general propensity for recycling, I would imagine that sooner or later it will make it's way to market again, probably on HD. I'd like to think so anyway -- I love that movie, and loved making the disc.
Old 07-09-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

to those who got the DVD.iam trying to give myself an excuse to purchase the DVD soon,does it come with a slipcase? please say yes!
Old 07-09-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well since others have asked Mr. Prior unrelated questions, and I just noticed among his credits "Produced the DVD for Ravenous (1999)", I wonder, is a SE of this forthcoming? And why wasn't the orginal disc anamorphic?
Old 07-09-07, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trying to steer this thread back on track, I appreciate David for mentioning the theatrical cut will only be available on the bare-bones version. Given that info, I'll be picking it up as my freebie with a B1G1 code from Columbia House. That way I don't have to wait forever to see it again and don't have to spend a lot of $ either. It's my favorite movie in a long time, I think I can do the double dip.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.