300: -7/31/07

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

300: -7/31/07

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-07, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got to my local BB around 11:45. They only had about 5 sets left. As I was buying mine 2 more customers grabbed a set, so I'm glad I got there when I did. I'm pretty happy with the set overall. Very nice display item
Old 07-31-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At the Best Buy I went to, the line to get in was ridiculous. The Helmet set was flying out of the display, as well as off the table they had set up. I ended up making the mistake of picking up the set, and felt how heavy it was, and how nice it was, and I ended up buying the set. I couldn't resist! By the time I left, it looked like they had about 10 sets left, and people were still coming in.
Old 07-31-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went to my Best Buy at around 10:30 this morning. They had no more than 25-30 copies of the giftset. Not a single one of them was in pristine condition! All of them either had a big gash along one side of the box, or significant dents alongside one of the edges, or crushed corners to some degree. After careful selection I went with the one that was in the best shape. From the looks of it, I don't think it will last beyond the end of the day today.

Then made the trek to Future Shop to pick up the steelbook. They only had 30 copies of it. Likewise, I don't think these will last beyond the end of the day.
Old 07-31-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3
I just got mine also. I have to go back because the helmet is crack. You guys should check and see if its okay. looks very flimsy

Quite the opposite. Not flimsy at all.
Old 07-31-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
well, in-store pickup is still available at all 6 BB's near me and it is 12:30pm EST now.
all those people who rush in to get these the minute the doors open i find to be so weird. that this thing in them tells them they have to have this now or else something in their souls will be lost. i don't get it.
Didn't you say that you camped out overnight, in your car, to get this? The same logic that applies to the people who rush in to get their hands on this, would apply to you.

At any rate, I'm glad that I picked up this Helmet set, especially since I wasn't going to. It's much nicer than I thought it would be.
Old 07-31-07, 12:47 PM
Cool New Member

the people where you guys all live...must be much more hardcore about their DVDs...i went out to BB on my lunch break expecting to find nothing...and they still had what looked to be just about all of their Helmet Editions...
i grabbed one and bailed...
Old 07-31-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3
I have to go back because the helmet is crack.
No wonder they are flying off the shelves.

But seriously, I just went to the south BB here in Austin, and there were tons of the penis helmets.
Old 07-31-07, 12:59 PM

I went to FYE earlier this morning to get the bonus disc. I got the rebate and all, but when I opened the set, there was no bonus disc! I'm mad because I could've just gone to Walmart and gotten the set for 19.99 with a free download of the movie instead of driving a half of an hour to go to the mall.
Old 07-31-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Honestly, I don't find the helmet to be that great. However, it will fit in nicely with the other scaled masks/helmets I already have: V's mask (Best Buy), helm of Sauron (Sideshow), and the six scaled helmets in the Tomy Star Wars line.
Old 07-31-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
My Best Buy had TONS of the helmet sets - enough so that it would seem like they wouldn't sell out until tomorrow. An employee also said that they'd get more by the end of the week - so if you didn't get one, you need not worry.
Old 07-31-07, 01:09 PM

I have enough collectibles right now, so I picked up the HD DVD of 300 (picture quality above all else! ) at BB. But I'll have to go back to price match against the Target ad ($29.99)

--John
Old 07-31-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Went this morning and got the exlusive (I had a $10 certificate anyway) and they had about 12 left and there were about 5 people with it in their hands to buy.
Old 07-31-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got back from picking my set up. I did an instore pickup but apparently they say that takes a few hours to go through their system. So that seems pointless to me. By the time it makes it to them they will end up selling out.

Any way I went and got there and they only had 2 left. Grabbed it and felt relieved. Than a few minutes later they brought out another 10. Those got snatched and then they restocked again. So who knows how many they actually have.
Old 07-31-07, 01:20 PM

I debated about picking up the BB helmet edition. I usually don't mind paying extra for content, but typically find things like the helmet ultimately useless.

I stopped by my local Best Buy this morning and saw they had about a dozen helmet editions left, and it looked like it was doing some good business. Left and went to the FYE in the ajacent mall and was shocked to find they had sold out of their allotment of bonus discs! This FYE never does well with new releases on street date.

There aren't that many FYEs in the area, so I went back to BB and bought the helmet. It looks like a nice piece and is pretty hefty.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I usually lurk but I love coming here to get the info to help me decide what version to buy.
Old 07-31-07, 01:33 PM

I headed to the mall to check out the target exclusive, when i got there i realized i should just pick my two-discer up at best buy because i was getting hot fuzz there. the target slipcover was bordered with this ugly maroon that said DELUXE edition on it and it wasn't even embozzed (sp) like the other one. So i headed to best buy.

I also picked up the hot fuzz, shaun of the dead deal...it's a good price. But those screwballs at best buy tried to screw the hot fuzz buyers over. ALL the hot fuzz's on display were fullscreen. I had to go into the comedy section and get a widescreen there, and there were only about four widescreen copies there. LAME
Old 07-31-07, 01:36 PM

Picked up the Best Buy and Target exclusives, plenty available at my Best Buy. I should have my HD DVD at the end of the week.
Old 07-31-07, 01:42 PM

This movie makes me want to do some push ups.
Old 07-31-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No problem getting my helmet edition at lunch time. There were about 6 left on display but the floor guy said 'we have at least 50 in the back'.
Old 07-31-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I live in West Kildonan & the two Best Buy stores in the City (Winnipeg) are in East Kildonan (or north, can't remember the areas) & St. James. So I didn't get to either of them.
Since their is a Wal-Mart, Future Shop, CD Plus & HMV near my work I decided too go to Wal-Mart because they usually have the cheapest prices. I just got the 2-Disc Widescreen Special Edition of 300, along with Hot Fuzz (WS) & Hawaii Five-O-The Second Season. I don't really need the helmet that much to travel half way across the City, after work (work nights, 11pm-7am) just for something that would be a bother to carry home.
Old 07-31-07, 01:54 PM

If you were planning to get the free download from Target to watch on your iPod... don't get it. The sticker on it reads that it won't work... & you gotta have Windows Media.

So is it the same thing with the Wal-Mart download?
Old 07-31-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nateman241
I live in West Kildonan & the two Best Buy stores in the City (Winnipeg) are in East Kildonan (or north, can't remember the areas) & St. James. So I didn't get to either of them.
Since their is a Wal-Mart, Future Shop, CD Plus & HMV near my work I decided too go to Wal-Mart because they usually have the cheapest prices. I just got the 2-Disc Widescreen Special Edition of 300, along with Hot Fuzz (WS) & Hawaii Five-O-The Second Season. I don't really need the helmet that much to travel half way across the City, after work (work nights, 11pm-7am) just for something that would be a bother to carry home.
Quick question (sorry about derailing the thread for a bit) ... did you see any copies of the Hot Fuzz Wal*Mart exclusive 2-pack (with a bonus disc) while you were at Wal*Mart?
Old 07-31-07, 01:58 PM

Is there any way to get the Futureshop exclusive shipped to the U.S.?
Old 07-31-07, 02:00 PM

i picked it at at wal mart on Blu-ray for $24.99 and got the Hot Fuzz 2 disc WS as well.
Old 07-31-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There were plenty of giftsets left at BB on 74th in Omaha at around 1:00. I did see one kid behind me in line buy one so it wasn't a complete bust at this store sales-wise. I grabbed a 2-discer with an embossed slipcover in perfect condition. The slipcover for Pathfinder Unrated was embossed as well and I wanted to pick that up to see if it was any good. Will have to wait until store credit from selling used discs comes in though.
Old 07-31-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but there is a cool easter egg on disc one.

In the special features menu, highlight the "blood Splatter" above the commentary option. There is a short but sweet doc on various materials used to pitch the film to the studio. Very cool stuff.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.