Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Future titles in the Directors Label Series?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Future titles in the Directors Label Series?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
If Gondry does a second volume, I hope he includes the video for "Knives Out" by Radiohead.
It was even shown briefly in the trailer for Volume 1, but was nowhere to be found.
I heard a rumor that Radiohead dislikes the video and that is the reaon why it didn't appear.
Old 05-16-07, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sent Palm an e-mail yesterday and just got a response...

Question:
Are there plans for a vol.3? I think that there are still many directors to
choose from that pushed the music video format before moving onto motion
pictures.
Some suggestions: David Slade, Mark Pellington, Jonathan Dayton and Valerie
Farris, Jonas Åkerlund (MY FAVORITE CHOICE) and Francis Lawrence.

Response:
- Not for now, but if we will in the near future you will know...

Thanks for you suggestions, we will keep them in mind while maybe thinking about volume 3!

Idea:
If everyone that would purchase another volume lets them know that there is interest then maybe WE can get them to produce a third volume.

Last edited by shtfilter; 05-16-07 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-16-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I still think the best bet is to go with Mills, Hammer & Tongs and Åkerlund based on their feature films, which probably has a lot to do with how marketable the sets will be. Then, if that makes Wave 3 a hit, then Wave 4 can be riskier choices and so on and so forth (well, if enough copies sell to make Wave 3 a success, that is).
Old 05-16-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I still think the best bet is to go with Mills, Hammer & Tongs and Åkerlund based on their feature films, which probably has a lot to do with how marketable the sets will be. Then, if that makes Wave 3 a hit, then Wave 4 can be riskier choices and so on and so forth (well, if enough copies sell to make Wave 3 a success, that is).
I still prefer my idea of using someone more famous, like a Vol. 2 of Gondry or Jonze, to attract more potential customers, and then grouping with that with a couple of other lesser-known directors.

Because while Akerlund and Mills have directed movies, Spun and Thumbsucker didn't exactly set the film world on fire, or even get significant attention for that matter. I don't think either was much of a success with critics or viewers, unlike Being John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine or even Hammer & Tongs' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

edit: just noticed shtfilter put up Dayton & Faris. If the duo was up for it, I bet it would sell quite well, provided Palm puts a sticker saying From the Directors of Little Miss Sunshine on the wrapping.

Last edited by GreenVulture; 05-16-07 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-16-07, 03:42 PM
Banned

edit: just noticed shtfilter put up Dayton & Faris. If the duo was up for it, I bet it would sell quite well, provided Palm puts a sticker saying From the Directors of Little Miss Sunshine on the wrapping.
I suggested Dayton & Faris in the first response in the entire thread! C'MON!
Old 05-16-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, heh. Sorry about that. Sometimes I ignore the older posts when I return to a topic, especially if it's a few days old.

Let me fix that:

edit: just noticed GuruTwo (and shtfilter) put up Dayton & Faris. If the duo was up for it, I bet it would sell quite well, provided Palm puts a sticker saying From the Directors of Little Miss Sunshine on the wrapping.
Old 05-16-07, 04:28 PM

What do I have to do to get the bonus disc and poster if I bought the first three individually?
Old 05-16-07, 05:19 PM

rmick wrote: What do I have to do to get the bonus disc and poster if I bought the first three individually?

That was actually my first question to Palm Pictures. The response I received was that it was not available separately from them or any other mass retailers.

I figured if I really wanted it I could search eBay.
Old 04-09-09, 03:09 PM

Re: Future titles in the Directors Label Series?

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
If Gondry does a second volume, I hope he includes the video for "Knives Out" by Radiohead.
It was even shown briefly in the trailer for Volume 1, but was nowhere to be found.
done

http://pitchfork.com/news/35039-mich...mpilation-dvd/
Old 04-09-09, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I interviewed Gondry and he talked about a documentary he was making that isn't present that was about his son's paintings. I wonder what happened to it.

I'm glad this is coming out though. It's a real shame that Palm didn't keep the series going, because the first box set is one of the most influential DVDs I've ever purchased.
Old 04-10-09, 08:19 AM

yeah i dont have much to add to this thread other than i own the first volume (bought them all used individually) and i love them and although i am a completist i really dont see anything appealing in the 2nd volume.
Old 04-10-09, 11:05 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by WEEDEDOUT
yeah i dont have much to add to this thread other than i own the first volume (bought them all used individually) and i love them and although i am a completist i really dont see anything appealing in the 2nd volume.
another completist here... one who bought the 2nd series... a bit of a mistake. nowhere near as interesting as the first. All of those directors had at least one interesting video that made me think it would be interesting, but the only one that was worth it was that of mark romanek.

Are the days of great music videos over? I might be a bit out of the loop on what's going on in that area. could that be why there isn't another set coming out? With one exception (Floria Sigismondi), I can't really think of a director who's collection I'd be interested in seeing.
Old 04-10-09, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by bunny_309
another completist here... one who bought the 2nd series... a bit of a mistake. nowhere near as interesting as the first. All of those directors had at least one interesting video that made me think it would be interesting, but the only one that was worth it was that of mark romanek.

Are the days of great music videos over? I might be a bit out of the loop on what's going on in that area. could that be why there isn't another set coming out? With one exception (Floria Sigismondi), I can't really think of a director who's collection I'd be interested in seeing.
I think people wanted to see David Fincher, although he declined. Mark Mills had one in the works, and it was suggested that Hammer and Tongs would get one as well. Jonas Ackerlund had been suggested.
Old 04-10-09, 03:38 PM

Roman Coppola needs one.
Old 04-10-09, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by worrywort
I'm glad to see that...
Old 04-12-09, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I have both sets, agree that Vol 1 is far superior to Vol 2. Just wish that they all were anamorphic.

I got the Gondry one individually before getting the sets, big fan of his, glad to see this on the horizon.

Last edited by bluetoast; 04-12-09 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-03-09, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My review of Gondry's second volume is up.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/37112...e-after-dvd-1/
Old 05-03-09, 10:59 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know if there are any plans for a full commercial release for Michel Gondry 2, or is it going to be available on his website only?
Old 05-03-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by sb5
Anyone know if there are any plans for a full commercial release for Michel Gondry 2, or is it going to be available on his website only?
Since it's being put out by Partizan (Gondry's company) I imagine they don't have the resources for a full-blown release, and even if they did, I doubt it would do very well, frankly. It sounds like the last Director's Label set did very poorly, which is why there haven't been more. Selling it from his site assures that anyone who wants it should be in the right place to find it and that it will reach the intended audience.

Currently it's on sale, as well.
Old 05-03-09, 11:23 PM
Banned

I would really like this but theres no way in hell I will purchase from his site.
Oh well. when a dvd site like amazon or ddd or dvd empire has then I'll get it.
Old 05-04-09, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's the big issue with buying from his site? You sound so angry about it, too. Did he touch you in a bad place?

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 05-04-09 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-04-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It has more than two hours of content!
Old 05-05-09, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics of the dvd would highly be appreciated
Old 05-05-09, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I would really like this but theres no way in hell I will purchase from his site.
Oh well. when a dvd site like amazon or ddd or dvd empire has then I'll get it.
Well their customer service needs some work...i ordered on April 15th and just contacted them at the weekend...politely, enquiring when my order would ship...basically received a reply more or less saying that if i could read i would notice it says that the orders would be shipped April 24th (I knew this and waiting an extra week to contact them i thought fair given i'd paid for international postage which exceeded the price of the actual dvd) and that they would...Quote!!...'eventually get round to looking into my request'....still waiting!!!
Old 11-30-10, 10:07 PM

last week on region 2, The Hammer & Tongs Collection was released
http://www.myreviewer.com/The_Hammer...Review/a137360

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.