Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Simpsons Season 10 - August 7

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Simpsons Season 10 - August 7

Old 05-10-07, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll chime in with my two cents, I agree that the shift in quality occurred during season 9 which was a hit-and-miss season (some of it is due to the fact that there were 4 different showrunners during that season, with Mike Scully running the majority of episodes). It also marked the departure of many great members of the creative team such as Brad Bird, David X. Cohen, Greg Daniels, and many others (Bird's with Pixar, DXC co-created Futurama, and Daniels created King of the Hill and developed The Office for the U.S.).

As for the lack of audio commentaries, I just hope that we'll get ones for the more notorious episodes coming up such as Bart to the Future (worst episode ever according to Entertainment Weekly) and Kill the Alligator and Run (most random episode ever). This is because I tend to really enjoy commentaries on the more infamous and polarizing episodes.

I'm probably gonna wait until it drops below $20, this season is a little too uneven to buy at full price.

Last edited by Simpson Purist; 05-10-07 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-10-07, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Simpson Purist
I'll chime in with my two cents, I agree that the shift in quality occurred during season 9 which was a hit-and-miss season (some of it is due to the fact that there were 4 different showrunners during that season, with Mike Scully running the majority of episodes). It also marked the departure of many great members of the creative team such as Brad Bird, David X. Cohen, Greg Daniels, and many others (Bird's with Pixar, DXC co-created Futurama, and Daniels created King of the Hill and developed The Office for the U.S.).

As for the lack of audio commentaries, I just hope that we'll get ones for the more notorious episodes coming up such as Bart to the Future (worst episode ever according to Entertainment Weekly) and Kill the Alligator and Run (most random episode ever). This is because I tend to really enjoy commentaries on the more infamous and polarizing episodes.

I'm probably gonna wait until it drops below $20, this season is a little too uneven to buy at full price.
I will admit to not seeing any episodes straight through once Mike Scully's reign of terror was over as showrunner aside from "The Parent Rap," and that might have still been a Scully episode, I don't remember at the moment. The "Judge Harm" character was so off-putting and felt so removed from the Simpsons universe, and the fiber optics in the cord for Bart and Homer's tether, among a lot of other things - just proved to me at the beginning of that season (13?) that nothing had changed and the show was just going to keep going downhill from there.

Oh, and I probably sound like an ass pointing this out, but it's David S. Cohen techically, but he registered as David X. Cohen to sound more sci-fi-ish when he created Futurama.
Old 05-10-07, 11:29 AM

http://media.www.thetriangle.org/med...n-802831.shtml

Here's a great article (albeit on that's about 2 and a half years old and written for a college newspaper) about exactly what I'm talking about.
Old 05-10-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not to get too geeky, but the S was changed to X when he found out there was another person named David S. Cohen.
Old 05-10-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts
Not to get too geeky, but the S was changed to X when he found out there was another person named David S. Cohen.
To be very geeky, I had a pre-calc book over the summer of 2002, and it was written by David X. Cohen. I did a double take, but apparently he wrote that stuff way back.
Old 05-10-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MikeDeN2K
Well to each their own - but you're absolutely incorrect about the "know what to expect" or "sick of watching it" argument. The show definitively changed, and it's not to most fans' liking because it's NOT what anyone expected. It's a completely different show now.
I've been watching it from the Tracy Ulman days. My screen name is even from a Simpsons episode! It's always undergone changes. I don't think it's that drastic now compared to season 10.
Old 05-10-07, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I've been watching it from the Tracy Ulman days. My screen name is even from a Simpsons episode! It's always undergone changes. I don't think it's that drastic now compared to season 10.
Wait, are you quoting yourself in your signature? Like you're not the millionth person to hear that quote that Winston Churchill said years and years ago?

Anyyyyway... it IS dramatically different from Season 10. But even MORE dramatically different when compared to the golden age of the show (arguably Seasons 3-8; some would include 2 and or 9 in that, I would include 9 personally, not so much 2).
Old 05-10-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw this on Target.com. I hope this is just temporary art and doesn't mean the packaging is changing again.

Old 05-10-07, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's temp. Amazon already has Season 11 listed with temporary artwork.
Old 05-10-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ugh, that art looks so cheap, that sure as hell better not be the real thing.
Old 05-10-07, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichardW
I saw this on Target.com. I hope this is just temporary art and doesn't mean the packaging is changing again.

Season 10 will be in a Bart head package. That picture is just temp art or something, the same thing is on Amazon.

Now, Season 11 I wouldn't be surprised if they change the packaging yet again.
Old 05-11-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to agree I didnt like the "Judge Harm" character. In that episode, how come Judge Snider (sp?) is a nice guy ("Boys will be boys")? When we have seen before. he's quite mean.
I don't like those naff "a character sees the future" episodes (Bart to the Future, Lisa's Wedding etc).
Old 05-11-07, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
Season 10 will be in a Bart head package. That picture is just temp art or something, the same thing is on Amazon.

Now, Season 11 I wouldn't be surprised if they change the packaging yet again.
Yes, it will be in a Bart head...as well as an alternate boxed version, just like every season has been since they started with the heads, other than the first one with Homer.
Old 05-11-07, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Yes, it will be in a Bart head...as well as an alternate boxed version, just like every season has been since they started with the heads, other than the first one with Homer.
And I'll be getting the alternate box, just like I have every season since they started with the heads. I'm sorry, but I hate the heads. I even sent away for the alternate package for the Homer season and I now have that head hanging on my wall with my Simpsons collection instead of storing DVDs in it.
Old 05-11-07, 11:37 PM

Did you read the article on tvshowsondvd?

"Amazon.com has box art on their site for season 10 which was created by a fan - this is NOT what will be used for the set.
Old 05-12-07, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Will definitely add this to the collection as well as the rest of the series. May not be as good as earlier seasons, but I still enjoy it immensely...
Old 05-12-07, 12:55 AM

Everytime there has been one of these sets they've always only listed some of the commentaries in the announcement and then there has always been full commentaries on all episodes. Why would this time be any different.

Oh, and this season definitely is when the show started to suck. I don't recall any of these from their titles.
Old 05-12-07, 02:20 AM

Not to get even more geeky, but it was to be included in the writers guild, which already had a David S. Cohen, correct? I thought I remembered this from a Futurama commentary. So everyone's correct!

I agree on just about all points. I almost didn't get season 9, but picked it up around release (only to have duplicate discs inside, but no matter - brother got it for me for Christmas or something anyway). I didn't mind 9 as much as I thought I would, but I don't know how much I'd like 10. Since I've this year come to the conclusion that most TV shows can be had for $17.99 or less at some point, I'll be waiting for a drop on this. Sorry Simpsons Season 10 - but honestly, you'll be lucky if I buy you.
Old 05-15-07, 11:11 AM

David X. Cohen--finally solved. I thought it was a Futurama joke or something.

the Simpsons jumped the shark around Season 5. Sam Simon leaving really hurt the show.

Last edited by Egon's Ghost; 05-15-07 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-17-07, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
David X. Cohen--finally solved. I thought it was a Futurama joke or something.

the Simpsons jumped the shark around Season 5. Sam Simon leaving really hurt the show.
So you can watch an episode like "Homer Badman" or "Bart Sells His Soul" and not laugh your head off? I find this facinating, Season 4-7 were the most wonderful seasons in the history of any television show ever.
Old 05-24-07, 09:12 AM

real box art is here!

http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7372

I'll definitely get the head to complete my head set.
Old 05-24-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MikeDeN2K
http://media.www.thetriangle.org/med...n-802831.shtml

Here's a great article (albeit on that's about 2 and a half years old and written for a college newspaper) about exactly what I'm talking about.
Nail hit head him.
Old 05-24-07, 02:35 PM
Banned

Old 05-24-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cardboard box for me. Anyone know if they'll ever do a "normal" version of season 6? I have the mail-away, but it's not the same and that drives me nuts.
Old 05-24-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cardboard box for me. Anyone know if they'll ever do a "normal" version of season 6? I have the mail-away, but it's not the same and that drives me nuts.
would you honestly buy a new "box" for upwards of $20.............???

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.