Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Those who live near Tornado/Hurricane country - any worries?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

After watching the news and seeing practically the whole town of Greensburg, KS wiped off of the map last night, I'm just curious if any of you all here worry about something like that happening to you - especially those of us with HUNDREDS of DVDs that can be just swept away in an instant if a tornado or hurricane came to where you live?

I'm just asking, since one of the big fears I have about living in Texas - are the damn tornadoes and my DVD & CD collections are HUGE!
Old 05-05-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will insure my DVDs...
Old 05-06-07, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not really as I live up in the Pacific NW thank goodness. Does make you wonder though just how much abuse a DVD in a plastic case can survive.
Old 05-06-07, 01:42 AM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Personally, I'm hoping a tornado deposits someone else's dvd collection in my backyard.
Old 05-06-07, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
Personally, I'm hoping a tornado deposits someone else's dvd collection in my backyard.
Yeah, imagine a DVD rain! A dream come true
Old 05-06-07, 06:07 AM

i'm sure there's a wizard of oz joke in there somewhere.

thankfully we don't get tornado's in england.
Old 05-06-07, 06:25 AM

whats the title of this dvd? sounds intersting
Old 05-06-07, 08:23 AM

Sigh...I guess I'm the only one on this forum who lives where the tornadoes are!
Old 05-06-07, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by mickey65
Sigh...I guess I'm the only one on this forum who lives where the tornadoes are!

Brightside is.. You are all good and can log in here in DVDTALK!
Old 05-06-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had a small tornado come through and hit our apartment complex last November. Luckily, it wasn't anything major, but it did hit our building and collapse part of the roof on the side opposite us. I've got renters insurance for about 50K, so that should cover pretty much everything in the case of a disaster.
Old 05-06-07, 09:54 AM
Banned

I live in Texas, but I'm not too worried; my ex-wife did far more damage to my CD/DVD collection than any storm ever could, LOL. Since then, I've replaced nearly everything, but it wasn't easy.
Old 05-06-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I live right on the Gulf Coast, so having to constantly worry during Hurricane season really takes the fun out of summer.
Insurance is good and all, but trying to replace all the DVD's in our collections isn't an easy thing as i'm sure most of us have things that have long gone OOP and are just plain hard to find.
Old 05-06-07, 10:26 AM

I'm somewhat concerned about tornadoes, but if one hit, I think that one of the last things I would be concerned about is my DVD library.
Old 05-06-07, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
It's the same thing as asking someone that lives in the San Francisco/Bay Area about earthquakes. They don't happen often but I get questions about fearing that the big one is coming. I always say I'm not afraid and they think I'm crazy. Most people here don't really give a thought about it until it does happen again. However, I did take safety measures that nothing big falls down in the house if one occurs.
Old 05-06-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what a bunch of losers...sorry i don't mean to offend anyone but when Tornadoes hit your place, the first thing you care about is your DVDs and Cds ?! argh...get a life.
Old 05-06-07, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan
It's the same thing as asking someone that lives in the San Francisco/Bay Area about earthquakes. They don't happen often but I get questions about fearing that the big one is coming. I always say I'm not afraid and they think I'm crazy. Most people here don't really give a thought about it until it does happen again. However, I did take safety measures that nothing big falls down in the house if one occurs.
I lived in the Bay Area for most of my life, and I was never scared of the earthquakes. Altho I was there when that big one hit in 1989 - and all it did was knock a couple of pictures off of my apartment walls.
Old 05-06-07, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by animatedude
what a bunch of losers...sorry i don't mean to offend anyone but when Tornadoes hit your place, the first thing you care about is your DVDs and Cds ?! argh...get a life.
Yeah, I know where you are coming from. But even if you were able to have lived thru it and to come back to nothing but the foundation of where your house (or apartment) once stood and EVERYTHING you ever owned - gone just like that. Clothes, pets, photos, DVDs, CDs, and other personal items that could never be replaced - that's where I'm coming from.
Old 05-06-07, 01:14 PM

Not hardly. I'm in Iowa and cyclones are and always have been here to stay. I've seen tractors picked up and squeezed like fruit...with oil and gas shooting out like a creampie shot. I've seen people pulled out of trees and from the tops of water towers. I've seen one house filled with mud but no wind damage....and right next door a house that was taken away..far away...like 4 miles and dumped on a Dairy Queen. I've seen it all.

But if you think I'm going to sit and worry about my discs flying thorough the air and deposited in Maine...well....I've got better things to do. If it happens....it happens.

Forget prevention. There really is none for a an F5 twister.
Old 05-06-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually had to face this very real possibility a few years ago as Hurricane Rita came barreling through the Gulf of Mexico as Category 5 storm on the heals of Katrina. I live in what is considered the destruction zone of a Category 5 and decided to evacuate. As I basically had about 12 hours to decide if I should stay or leave, my wife and I decided that outside of pictures and home movies (and important papers of course), we wouldn't take anything.

I have about 500 DVDs and an extensive collection of comic books and related items. It was a very upsetting to think that it might all go away and the truth was there was little I could do about it. Sure insurance would cover a good chunk of it, but some things - especially in my comic book collection - were almost irreplaceable.

In the end I realized that I had to just accept what happened and just hope that my family and I came out of it unharmed. Fortunately that's what happened.
Old 05-06-07, 02:39 PM

You've got to be kidding. The last thing I was worried about was my DVD's.
Old 05-06-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Quatermass
So, I guess you wouldn't mind receiving the entire Jeff Foxworthy Collection, Monster Trucks In Full Screen, Cops DVDs, and Cable Guy DVDs on your front porch, eh?

But regardless, if some of you don't have renter's insurace. GET IT.
Old 05-06-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
So, I guess you wouldn't mind receiving the entire Jeff Foxworthy Collection, Monster Trucks In Full Screen, Cops DVDs, and Cable Guy DVDs on your front porch, eh?
Old 05-06-07, 05:10 PM

Three years ago, we had a hurricane that blew in a window to the room where my DVDs are kept. There was glass and rainwater all over one of my shelves. It did indeed suck, and I had to replace about 20 dvds.
Old 05-06-07, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I lived in the Bay Area for most of my life, and I was never scared of the earthquakes. Altho I was there when that big one hit in 1989 - and all it did was knock a couple of pictures off of my apartment walls.
Yeah, that was a weird day. I remember I was in traffic on Hwy 237 going towards Milpitas in traffic. The road looked like a wave after a ripple effect. It was a good thing traffic was crawling at only about 10-20 mph. After it passed everyone got out of their cars and started talking. First it was how big the earthquake was then the conversation turned to the A's/Giants World Series. It seems it was more important than just another earthquake at the moment. Once I got home and watched the news did I realize how huge it was.
Old 05-07-07, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by kevkev
i'm sure there's a wizard of oz joke in there somewhere.
I'm not sure I see the joke anywhere here:

The complete loss of personal property is devastating. If it seems trivial that someone cares so much about their collection, substitute the pet or heirloom that is precious to you and think how you would feel. The only thing you can do is keep an inventory, have insurance, and put your life back together.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.