Reload this Page >

Suggestions for the best non-HD DVD movies for an HD plasma television

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Suggestions for the best non-HD DVD movies for an HD plasma television

Old 05-01-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I thought about the Toshiba HD-A2, but it doesn't upconvert past 480p on the component outs. I don't want limitations on the component end when I buy a HD-DVD player. And to be honest, I am not fond of HDMI. The biggest reason is equipment compatibility.
No DVD player upconverts over the Component outs. It's actually prohibited by CSS. The cheap ones that can be hacked to do so usually have scalers that are worse than those in the TV (especially a Panny).
Old 05-01-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,447 Posts
One thing you are really going to notice is which DVDs have good transfers and which ones don't (but looked fine on a smaller set). A large HD set is much less forgiving.

I don't have an upconverting player (damn PS3 can't do that right now), but I think my TV does a fine job with scaling, so I'm settling for that (60" 1080p Sony LCoS RP). Anyway, just off the top of my head, here's some standard DVDs that looked pretty good on my set:

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (I mention this first because I just watched it last night. I thought it looked great, animation seems to upconvert better than live action)

Star Wars Ep 2 and 3 (Ep 1 transfer was underwelming IMO)
Fantastic Four
I Robot
Gladiator
Hellboy
Shanghai Noon/Knights
Spider-man 1,2
Suspiria (great saturated colour)
Warriors of Heaven and Earth

Anyway, these are just a few I could think of that I've seen recently, and yes, a couple are on Blu-ray now too. I tried to think of titles with good transfers, nice scenery and/or vivid colours, that your HD set should help to make look good.
Old 05-01-07, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an upconverting player now (which is great) and a 60 inch LCD but a month ago when I had the basic 480p setup, the best movies in video quality were...any of the six Star Wars movies, any of the three Raiders movies, many of the movies I have from the '70's really look good (Count Yorga, Fun with Dick and Jane, Dr. Phibes) and the four Airport movies look outstanding (to name just a few).
Old 05-01-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
i also just recently bought a 50" panny plasma and i'd recommend Fight Club, Kill Bill 1 & 2, Sin City
Old 05-01-07, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by wewantflair
No DVD player upconverts over the Component outs. It's actually prohibited by CSS. The cheap ones that can be hacked to do so usually have scalers that are worse than those in the TV (especially a Panny).
Helios X3000.
Old 05-02-07, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by wewantflair
I have a Momitsu that does a decent job over component. It was talked up in the international forum since it is region free as well.