DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Doube/Triple Dipping Regrets (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/498324-doube-triple-dipping-regrets.html)

Cardiac161 04-18-07 01:25 PM

Doube/Triple Dipping Regrets

With a number of us double or triple-dipping on dvds, I was wondering if there's a dvd you double/tripled-dipped and ended up regreting it either due to: the dvd not really worth being bought again, or that the original release was better.

Thanks!!!

rfduncan 04-18-07 01:31 PM

Silence of the Lambs. Still like the Criterion one better.

Grease. The latest version wasn't worth it over the original IMHO.

thursdaynighter 04-18-07 02:06 PM

at least the latest Grease edition had a tiny leather jacket. :)

mijorico 04-18-07 03:39 PM

Bad Santa - Director's Cut
I was interested in seeing this cut, so I bought the DVD. Now I have two versions of the movie, and still not the cut I prefer (theatrical).

Abe. 04-18-07 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan

Too bad it's not anamorphic.

I regretted double dipping on the Ben-Hur four disc set.

TheMovieman 04-18-07 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Abe.

I regretted double dipping on the Ben-Hur four disc set.

I own that one (it's the first time I've owned Ben-Hur, why was this one a regret?

Cardiac161 04-18-07 03:56 PM

I got Payback: Director's Cut...as much as I respect Brian Hegeland's original version, I still really prefer the theatrical one which I found more satisfying. Ended up selling it.

Abe. 04-18-07 03:57 PM

The single disc and the four-disc set are identical (when it comes to the movie alone). To be honest, I shouldn't have expected a better transfer, because the quality of the first release is phenomenal. Even though I love the movie, I can't sit through all the special features on the deluxe set.

BuckNaked2k 04-18-07 04:52 PM

None....never!

Full speed ahead!

matome 04-18-07 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan

Yep, even without the anamorphic I like the darker palette and even the non 5.1 track sounds better to me, since the bass cues seem to be missing in the opening hospital cell scenes.

Abe. 04-18-07 09:40 PM

I dunno, I just popped in the Criterion edition of SotL, and it really didn't look half as impressive as the Special Edition from 2001 from MGM. The picture quality just looks way too noisy. I do like the special features, though.

Brian Shannon 04-19-07 10:19 AM

No, I buy what I like and what I want

MGunn 04-19-07 02:16 PM

I can't think of a specific one I regret. One wish, is that the extended edition versions of LOTR has the theatrical versions on them as well, so I wouldn't need both sets.

My one regret I do have, which isn't double dipping, but I wish I would have paid the few dollars extra to from the US, so I didn't have bilingual DVD's (I hate when the binding has both french and english on it!!!)

matome 04-19-07 04:00 PM

The Cutting Edge: Gold Medal Edition gave an actual stepdown to a non-anamorphic transfer of a PAL sped-up source and virtually no new extras but tons of promos for the crappy sequel.

xage 04-20-07 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cardiac161
With a number of us double or triple-dipping on dvds, I was wondering if there's a dvd you double/tripled-dipped and ended up regreting it either due to: the dvd not really worth being bought again, or that the original release was better.

Thanks!!!

No regrets... how about you?

You wouldnt ask someone about regrets in dvd dipping not unless you have some sort of emotional confusion with your dvd dips?

Stamina 04-20-07 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Abe.
I dunno, I just popped in the Criterion edition of SotL, and it really didn't look half as impressive as the Special Edition from 2001 from MGM. The picture quality just looks way too noisy. I do like the special features, though.

Agree, I was really disapponted with the Criterion version of SOTL.

chase3001 04-21-07 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by MGunn
I can't think of a specific one I regret. One wish, is that the extended edition versions of LOTR has the theatrical versions on them as well, so I wouldn't need both sets.

My one regret I do have, which isn't double dipping, but I wish I would have paid the few dollars extra to from the US, so I didn't have bilingual DVD's (I hate when the binding has both french and english on it!!!)

You are so right about the bilingual packaging. I used to pay the extra to get the dvd from the States, but over time the custom charges killed me. Alliance Atlantis is my enemy.

Regarding the topic at hand, I'd say Office Space. The SE that came out really added nothing to the original. I even prefer the original coverart on the first release.

Apone 04-21-07 02:01 AM

The Shawshank Redemption

Cardiac161 04-21-07 03:18 AM

xage,

I did mention in post#7 about my regret in getting Payback: Director's Cut. May have to add Superman 2: Donner's Cut as well. Though Donner may have had a better vision of how the sequel should've turned out, the special effects on the dvd was just so bad it took me out of the movie.

ken_572002 04-21-07 06:46 AM

Stagecoach - A supposedly 'remastered' version, it actually looks softer and less sharp than the original one.

The Searchers - Very clear, but the colors were fiddled with so much, the latest version almost looks colorized.

The Conqueror - Universal, for some unknown reason, removed the stereo soundtrack from the film that was previously licensed to Goodtimes.

DJariya 04-21-07 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Apone
The Shawshank Redemption

You regretted upgrading this??? The new version is 2-discs with a Frank Darabont commentary and a 1 hour making of doc. The previous version was barebones.

DJariya 04-21-07 01:31 PM

The Bourne Identity......The original version had a Doug Liman commentary and a decent EPK making of documentary.

The "new and improved" version called "The explosive extended edition" lost the commentary and had a bunch of fluffy EPK featurettes.

darkhawk 04-21-07 01:51 PM

Apollo 13 two-disk set has scenes missing. Plus no DTS.

Ethan VanSciver 04-21-07 03:03 PM

the Big Lebowski. One of the most disappointing double dips ever.

Robert 04-21-07 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by darkhawk
Apollo 13 two-disk set has scenes missing. Plus no DTS.

What scenes are missing?