Doube/Triple Dipping Regrets

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Doube/Triple Dipping Regrets

Old 04-21-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert
What scenes are missing?
He's probably refering to the IMAX cut of the film on the second disc which does lose about twenty minutes of the film.
Old 04-21-07, 04:54 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Sorta related to the thread I started awhile back, "upgrades?".
Old 04-21-07, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ethan VanSciver
the Big Lebowski. One of the most disappointing double dips ever.
While I totally agree that they screwed the pooch as far as special features are concerned, the image upgrade is quite noticeable, and with the relatively low price on the SE, I was still glad to upgrade just for that.
Old 04-22-07, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by matome
The Cutting Edge: Gold Medal Edition gave an actual stepdown to a non-anamorphic transfer of a PAL sped-up source and virtually no new extras but tons of promos for the crappy sequel.
Absolutely unforgivable! I don't know if Sony or MGM was to blame for this travesty. Speaking of Sony, I regret double dipping on Spiderman 2. I bought both the Superbit and the SE. Now there's yet another Spiderman 2. God bless Sony. They've gone from on of the best studios early in DVD to the most hated.
Old 04-22-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 494 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by mijorico
Bad Santa - Director's Cut
I was interested in seeing this cut, so I bought the DVD. Now I have two versions of the movie, and still not the cut I prefer (theatrical).
I gave away my old one when I bought the DC. I wish I would have kept it just for the Florida bar scene, car theft/home burglery and the final scene with the kid kicking the bully, in my best Cartman voice, right squar in the nuts.
Old 04-23-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
The Bourne Identity......The original version had a Doug Liman commentary and a decent EPK making of documentary.

The "new and improved" version called "The explosive extended edition" lost the commentary and had a bunch of fluffy EPK featurettes.
This is probably the best example of a double-dip that is much worse than the initial release.

One big thing you forgot though, is that the first Bourn Identity dvd had a DTS track which is dropped from the "explosive" edition.
Old 04-23-07, 10:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only one I recall off hand where I eventually got rid of the "upgrade" and kept the original is Tears of the Sun. There's also a couple for which I kept both versions (Cube and Donnie Darko come immediately to mind) since the versions were so different and I couldn't decide which one to get rid of
Old 04-23-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Last Of The Mohicans (Director's Cut)

The Theatrical Cut was far better.
Old 04-23-07, 11:21 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by mike45
Last Of The Mohicans (Director's Cut)

The Theatrical Cut was far better.
No way, Chingchook's closing monologue enhances the entire experience. I can't understand why it was cut in the first place.
Old 04-23-07, 01:19 PM

re: Bad Santa
Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime
I gave away my old one when I bought the DC. I wish I would have kept it just for the Florida bar scene, car theft/home burglery and the final scene with the kid kicking the bully, in my best Cartman voice, right squar in the nuts.
The DC also cuts the boxing scene.

I prefer the theatrical cut to either the DC or the unrated. The added burglary sequence in the unrated cut was just filler. I think the movie flows better without it. Maybe one of these days I'll actually buy or trade for that cut.