Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Has anyone have DVDs become unplayable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Has anyone have DVDs become unplayable?

I had basically the entire season one of Highlander become unplayable. Funny thing-they(Highlander website) later on called me and tried too sell me other items and told them I don't want nothing from them because of the problems w/Highlander s1. Think its 10 yrs old and they must have done a crummy job mastering the discs.
Also had problems with Angel s4 with many episodes.
Old 05-16-11, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Disc 1 of Alias Season 1 and Season 2 spontaneously fail to be recognized in multiple players some time back. All other discs were fine.
Old 05-16-11, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Here's our problem, which does not appear to fit the established criteria of "disc rot" or "CD bronzing." Discs that are unscratched often appear to have a sort of warped ring on the data side, much like looking through bubbles where you see that slight multi-color tinge if you look at the bubble right. On a regular DVD player, this isn't an issue, but our Blu-ray player has fits. Playback is choppy, freezes and the screen will become fragmented pixels. It's like streaming an HD video on dial-up.
Old 05-16-11, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Original Apollo 13 is the only one that won't play anymore
Old 09-17-12, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

So, now we're at a point where many DVD's are over a decade old. How many problems are people finding?

I've run into a couple, recently. First of all, last year I found problems with my Beauty and the Beast Platinum Edition DVD set from Disney. The movie disc would not load at all. I tried it in several players, and a couple computers, and nothing could recognize it as a readable disc. It had no scratches, and from a visual inspection, there did not appear to be any problems or deterioration of the media. I ended up trading it at Best Buy for a $5 upgrade and save coupon.

A couple months ago, I found out there were problems with my A.I. Artificial Intelligence DVD. It actually loads, but I found out that the second layer is unreadable. As soon as you get to the point in the movie where the layer change happens, it freezes and doesn't play anymore. Again, tried it in several players and computers and they all had the same problem. Visual inspection of the disc didn't show anything amiss. This one has now also gone into the U&S trade pile.

Anyone else seeing issues like these with older DVD titles?
Old 09-17-12, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

I recently noticed 2 WB titles had gone bad on me (300 and one of the Harry Potter movies), both of which WB kindly replaced for free and they even footed the postage bill for shipping to me here in Japan. I consider that really great Customer Service.
Old 09-17-12, 06:54 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Army of Darkness: Boomstick edition Director's cut disc will no longer play for me. So far that's the only one I've found, thankfully.
Old 09-19-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My copy of Rain Man freezes up starting about 1/3 into the movie. I had previously viewed it some time ago w/out incident. Tossed it in the garbage and ordered the Blu-ray.
Old 09-20-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Contrary to popular belief, VHS tapes last longer than DVDs.

Oh, and books printed on paper last longer than kindles.
Old 09-25-12, 08:02 AM

I haven't had trouble with any DVDs yet. But years ago one of the big music companies, Polygram, had a huge run of CD rot. That was primarily classical labels such as DG, London, Philips. They developed pinholes and became unplayable. My recollection was that those obsessive Germans smoothed down the edges of the discs so they would be rounded and pleasant to the touch--thus opening the interior of the discs to oxidation.
Old 09-25-12, 09:27 AM
Banned

I have like 300 dvds and have not watched many of them in years.
Old 09-25-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I've been getting better about digging into the collection and playing older stuff lately, and I actually haven't had much of this problem. I've run into a lot of transfers that looked good on my older TVs, but now on my 46" LCD, they don't look very good at all.

The only true problem disc I've had is the theatrical DVD of Fellowship of the Ring. After the first few plays, no player I owned would handle the layer change and I eventually picked up another copy for $4.
Old 03-12-16, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Revisited Signs the other day and notices 10-15 in the middle was unplayable. Very disheartening. Especially since I bought this disc back when I was paying retail.
Old 03-14-16, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Revisited Signs the other day and notices 10-15 in the middle was unplayable. Very disheartening. Especially since I bought this disc back when I was paying retail.
The Vista Series disc? What do you mean by "10-15 in the middle was unplayable"? Minutes, chapters?
Old 03-14-16, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
The Vista Series disc? What do you mean by "10-15 in the middle was unplayable"? Minutes, chapters?
Vista, minutes.
Somewhere around 1 hr 10mins
Old 03-14-16, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

When DVDs and blu-rays go bad that's usually how it goes. They will play fine up to a point, usually around the layer change if it's a DL disc, or near the end if it's a SL. What happens is that the disc wasn't properly sealed around the edges during the manufacturing process and air gets inside the disc and oxidizes the aluminum data area. Since discs play from the inside-out like a record you don't generally notice this until an hour or so into the film.
Old 03-14-16, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Crud, haven't watched Signs in a while, maybe I'll try to get it onto the docket soon to check it (we're currently in a Tolkien marathon, just did Desolation of Smaug yesterday).

It's on Blu if I need to replace it, though I might try to find another DVD copy cheap.
Old 03-15-16, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

I bought Signs on release day and STILL haven't watched it! Guess I can scan it on the computer to make sure it's not rotted.
Old 03-15-16, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Vista, minutes.
Somewhere around 1 hr 10mins
Crap. And thanks for the info. I will have to check my disc.
Old 03-15-16, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I had to replace "Frequency" recently since it froze up on me half-way. No scratches, nothing on the disc.
Old 03-15-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
It's on Blu if I need to replace it, though I might try to find another DVD copy cheap.
The question that comes to my mind is how likely would it be that other copies of the same title have the same problem. Is that more/less likely? I don't know, but would make be a bit hesitant in buying another DVD copy.
Old 03-16-16, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

The 'improperly sealed' explanation is interesting, thank you. I've mostly (so far, fingers crossed) only had problems playing library discs that are scratched up to a crazy degree. Did standard improve over time; i.e. is it only likely to be early/old discs that were poorly sealed/finished?

(And what has baffled me with those - over-and-above the pre-CD/DVD hype of them being indestructible - is that some of them in the most appalling condition still seem to play better than our brand-new Disney Blu-rays, which often can't be recognized by our player at all for whatever reason...)
Old 04-03-16, 03:14 AM
Cool New Member

'Wonderland' is the only one I can recall giving me problems. Tried playing it one night, and for some reason my player read it as a DVD-ROM and unplayable. Tried it on another player and same thing. Never had a problem before, not even a skipping issue, but that night it was essentially a dead disc...
Old 04-03-16, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Since discs play from the inside-out like a record you don't generally notice this until an hour or so into the film.
I know it's been a while but I always started my records on the outside
Old 04-03-16, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
The 'improperly sealed' explanation is interesting
I also wonder if discs that have been dropped on their edge at one time may cause this to happen even though they don't appear to be damaged.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.