DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Cast Away, Die Hard, Day after Tomorrow (Steelbook) due June 12th (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/495107-cast-away-die-hard-day-after-tomorrow-steelbook-due-june-12th.html)

DouglasRobert 03-13-07 06:47 AM

Cast Away, Die Hard, Day after Tomorrow (Steelbook) due June 12th

DVD Empire has these up for pre-order.

Any idea as to what they mean by "Steelbook"?

They all have a list price of $22.98 each.

DVDMagic 03-13-07 06:56 AM

that would be similar packaging as Best Buy's exclusives to 'The Grudge 2' and 'The Departed'. Picked up 'The Departed' and thought it was a pretty sweet design.

LorenzoL 03-13-07 06:57 AM

I wonder if those are new versions or just repackaged DVDs in the steelbook format?

Originally Posted by DouglasRobert
Any idea as to what they mean by "Steelbook"?

This thread should answer your question particularly post #5.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=465824

TomOpus 03-13-07 07:06 AM

Cast Away seems like an odd choice for a steelbook.

DouglasRobert 03-13-07 07:42 AM

Thanks, I wondered what they were talking about.

Already own Die Hard and Day After Tomorrow. Might pick up Cast Away then.

dx23 03-13-07 08:51 AM

Fox sometimes releases DVDs like Malibu Stacy dolls.

Smithers : This is the new Castway DVD
Lisa: Is a repackaging of the already available DVD
Smithers: But now it comes with a Steelbook!!!!!

clappj 03-13-07 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Cast Away seems like an odd choice for a steelbook.

Perhaps they should've gone with a Wilson volleybook instead.

TheMovieman 03-13-07 10:17 AM

Already own all three but I might go for Die Hard. I like the packaging enough to double dip on at least one of these.

gotrice487 03-13-07 11:09 AM

I might be interested in Cast Away and Day After Tomorrow depending on what is on this release

matome 03-13-07 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I wonder if those are new versions or just repackaged DVDs in the steelbook format?

Good question. I'm leaning towards just a repackaging. I love steelbooks, but I'm not sure I'd DD for them.

mzupeman2 03-13-07 11:37 AM

Not that Cast Away wasn't already a great transfer, but if it was digitally remastered again, I'd rebuy it. But I already own a good enough Die Hard and I could care less about The Day After Tomorrow.

TomOpus 03-13-07 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by clappj
Perhaps they should've gone with a Wilson volleybook instead.

I'd buy that for a $1 :)

smashthesymbols 03-13-07 06:12 PM

What can they do with Die Hard to make anyone want this over the existing trilogy set? Steelbooks are cool and all but it'd need something very good to buy this if you already have the set.

Cast Away is a must buy for me though. I've been wanting to pick it up anyway. If it's a better DVD and a steelbook I won't be able to resist.

dvd_luver 03-13-07 06:16 PM

These are probably very nice repackaging jobs in the steelbook format, I must admit this is a very clever way on Fox's part to get us to double-dip on these titles again just for sake of repackaging. I won't say never, but I'd have to feel a little wild to DD just because these are all in a nice stylish steelbook case. The Departed LE steelbook I bought from Best Buy was a huge exception for me. If any, I'd nab the Cast Away steelbook since it's my personal fave of the 3 SB's.

CertifiedTHX 03-13-07 06:41 PM

Unless there's something new and amazing about these-- in which case I might pick up The Day After Tomorrow (first triple dip) and Die Hard-- I'm going to pass. Sucker for packaging, yes, but not when the packaging is all a new release has. Have to ask yourself, are you willing to pay $15, plus or minus, for a case?

--THX

Lt Ripley 03-13-07 06:42 PM

Oh God. Please FOX, release the A L I E N, Predator, and Star Wars films in steelbook in region 1. I will triple dip. I promise.

If these are just repackages:
Cast Away steelbook? I see all the fanboys clamoring for this.
Die Hard steelbook? Pretty cool.
Day after Tomorrow steelbook? Yawn.

Alien, Predator, and Star Wars steelbooks? HELL YEAH!

tylergfoster 03-13-07 07:11 PM

Perhaps the Die Hard steelbook has a ticket to Live Free or Die Hard. Now THAT would be worth double-dipping for.

Lt Ripley 03-13-07 08:22 PM

You know what would be a cool idea for a steelbook?

Rudy

No artwork, just the title in Navy Blue (or whatever color of blue is used on ND's uniforms), and the rest of the case is gold.

NiCK Crush 03-13-07 08:23 PM

i never got around to getting the Day After Tomorrow... so i'll definitely pick that up.

i'll probably double dip Die Hard... especially if there is a movie ticket for Live Free...

As for Cast Away... im not sure. i have the first 2-disc set and its doin the job.

-NiCK

jdslater1 03-13-07 09:23 PM

Here in the UK Fox have just released the "Definitive Edition" range. These steelbooks will be released in 3 waves it seems. The first wave has Xmen 1 & 2, Day after tomorrow, Mr & Mrs Smith and alot more. I'm going to get Platoon as it has a DTS track.
Use this link to PLay.com
http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?sear...go.x=36&go.y=7
I think you should be able to work out with ones belong to that collection.

basaro 03-14-07 08:05 AM

more and more 3+ dips from fox, crud. How many times do they have to re-release all this stuff? How about releasing some NEW content, that would be nice for a change.

How do stores have room for all this? Stores have already complained about space (mostly because of TV boxsets and stuff that take up a lot of room), so they started doing the slimpacks. Now some studios like fox keep releasing the same titles over and over, and stores don't have a problem stocking 3 different versions? Meanwhile I can't find half of what I want at a b&m because they don't stock them, too much space wasted on multi-dips.

tylergfoster 03-14-07 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by basaro
How do stores have room for all this? Stores have already complained about space (mostly because of TV boxsets and stuff that take up a lot of room), so they started doing the slimpacks. Now some studios like fox keep releasing the same titles over and over, and stores don't have a problem stocking 3 different versions? Meanwhile I can't find half of what I want at a b&m because they don't stock them, too much space wasted on multi-dips.

Actually that's precisely the point. Stores will eventually stop stocking titles after a certain point to make room for the new ones, which is what makes studios want to double-dip, it gets their catalog title back onto shelves for awhile. This is more useful at the more limited-space stores like Wal-Mart and the like as opposed to Best Buy, but that's one of the reasons they do it.

dx23 04-18-07 08:52 PM

Is there any list of all the Steelbook releases available? I know Boondock Saints CE was considered a Steelbook.

canaryfarmer 04-18-07 09:14 PM

dx23,

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=465824

dx23 04-18-07 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer

Thanks!