DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Joe Dante's "Matinee" (1993)--How Likely a Criterion Release? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/494855-joe-dantes-matinee-1993-how-likely-criterion-release.html)

PatD 03-09-07 11:31 PM

Joe Dante's "Matinee" (1993)--How Likely a Criterion Release?

I'm trying to put a bug in Universal's and Criterion's ear to put Joe Dante's 1993 film "Matinee" out on as a special edition DVD.

It's been released once on DVD by Image Entertainment in 1998 (now out of print).

How likely do you think it would be to see this flick as part of the Criterion Collection (or at least a re-release by Universal) replete with Audio Commentary; deleted scenes; short film "Mant!" (on the laserdisc); and theatrical trailer.

It's a terrific film and it's high time that it get it's due. Who's with me?

renaldow 03-10-07 12:34 AM

Not saying the movie doesn't deserve a release, but I think there's probably a 0 chance of it being released as a Criterion.

Joe Molotov 03-10-07 12:37 AM

I'm going to have to go with "Not very."

PatD 03-10-07 12:45 AM

You're most likely right. But I thought it was worth a shot.

But when Criterion releases stuff "The Rock" and "Armageddon", I figure they'd release most anything.

I *really* want to see that "Mant!" featurette from the laserdisc though.

Skoobooz 03-10-07 07:36 AM

I also really want this movie on DVD and would certainly be thrilled with a Criterion release of it, but yeah, there's little chance of that happening. Of course, I might have said the same thing about Dazed and Confused a few years ago (though I don't like that movie, but they're both Universal), and that got a Criterion release. But then, Richard Linklater has a relationship with Criterion, whereas Joe Dante doesn't seem to.

tylergfoster 03-10-07 07:37 AM

Yeah, Universal has a strong relationship with Criterion (Videodrome, Charade, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Dazed and Confused, Brazil, and I personally hope that 21 Grams and The Big Lebowski will appear eventually), but I don't know about Matinee. It'd be cool, though. And the LD has more than Mant! on it...I wish I could see it.

TomOpus 03-10-07 08:35 AM

Regardless if Criterion does it or not, I'd like to see a nice re-release of this movie. I had the old laserdisc back in the day.

Cameron 03-10-07 09:00 AM

i have the image disc, and its pretty rough around the edges. I'd like to see extras an more in depth features for some WIlliam Castle movies that this was based off of. Castle was by far king of the gimmics, and no one has really showcased that on dvd.

OwlAtHome 03-10-07 01:20 PM

Criterion would be cool but I'd settle for just a barebones rerelease at this point.

David Cornelius 03-10-07 05:54 PM

Criterion? Nope. But at this point I wouldn't put it past Universal to chug out a new disc named something like "Rumble-Rama Edition" or "Half Man Half Ant Edition."

JiM T 03-10-07 09:26 PM

I'd buy it.

Adam Tyner 03-10-07 10:41 PM

Universal has already gone to the trouble of doing a high-definition transfer (Matinee is in regular rotation on Universal HD), so a release of their own is certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

Nicholas Vargo 06-14-08 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Universal has already gone to the trouble of doing a high-definition transfer (Matinee is in regular rotation on Universal HD), so a release of their own is certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

Well Adam, it's been a year and three months since then, and Universal HD still has the movie playing quite regularly, and we still haven't seen any DVD (not even a bare-bones affair either). And I'm kind of a recently added fan to this film's fanbase (I never thought I could get into this movie, but I finally did last month thanks to a viewing on Universal HD, and I now think it's Joe Dante's maserpiece). If any of his films deserve Criterion treatment, it's this one (Although the odds of it actually happening are not bloody likely, which is quite sad).

NoirFan 06-14-08 09:54 AM

Like most, I doubt this small gem will get the Criterion treatment, but I'd snap up any kind of reissue in a heartbeat.

chris_sc77 06-14-08 10:30 AM

I think the chances are better Focus will put this under their Spotlight Tile series than an actual Criterion version.
They did a good job with Safe Men, Mallrats, and the recent Serial Mom.
It is a good film though and Id pick it up if it was a special edition or at the least had a commentary.

Mabuse 06-14-08 11:37 AM

I'd love a Criterion of this film...

...I'd love any kind of release at this point.

Paul_SD 06-14-08 09:47 PM

- Director's Commentary
- William Castle featurette/bio
- Missile Crisis coverage kinescopes
- the 'full' version of Mant
- 'Monster Kid Culture' text/still gallery features covering things like the history of Aurora models, Famous Monsters mag, etc

hell, I could see Criterion finding a lot of avenues to explore with this. While it would never sell like The Rock or that other Bay pile, depending on the extras it has the potential to generate some suprising sale numbers I think.
Will it happen? Doubtful. But then I was expecting a remastered release of this title before The Car or a general release of the Sci-Fi collections. That's why I reluctantly sold my copy off last fall (but hung on to the others).

wakwak007 06-15-08 07:48 PM

That's a great film...like others I hope that a re-release willl eventually happen

wm lopez 06-16-08 04:27 AM

I'm surprised this movie isn't some cult hit.
Maybe the under 24 crowd don't know that the movies were like that back then.

Flicker 06-16-08 07:57 AM

I'd definately buy a revised re-released version. It's one of my favorite movies!

riotinmyskull 06-16-08 08:52 AM

i'd settle for a barebones 16x9 release but that's just me

Zodiac_Speaking 06-16-08 09:33 AM

I really want this to be re-release but zero chance of Criterion doing it.

Gizmo 06-16-08 10:40 AM

I saw this on UniversalHD last month...its cute, and it seems poised for a Blu-ray release at some point.

tylergfoster 06-16-08 11:16 AM

Well, Universal has been getting a few choice titles out, like The Car, MST3K Movie and Serial Mom, so perhaps Matinee is on their to-do list.

MikeDeN2K 06-16-08 03:18 PM

It'll probably get released under the "Rogue" line of films via Universal.