Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever regret buying DVDs at full-price?...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

...And then see them on sale a few months later for almost half the price you paid for them when they first released?

Some of them the ones I paid $13-15 for I now see at Wal-Mart or Target in the bargain bins for $5.50-$7.50!
Old 03-08-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nope. The only thing I can think of as far as DVD regrets go, would be not picking up a few things before they went OOP, and now I can hardly find them at fair prices.
Old 03-08-07, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought 'Three Days of the Condor' a few years back for $25 and picked it up for a friend last November for $3. The very first DVD I got was 'Blade' from my wife and she paid $30 plus for it at Barnes and Noble.
Old 03-08-07, 03:42 PM

This is why I've gotten to the point of holding off until it goes cheap, unless there's something extra with it that I really want that is only available during release week. The exception would be Disney DVDs since you don't find those in the bargin bin. I will still occassionaly buy something at full price, but only if I really really want it now (Clerks II and An Evening with Kevin Smith: Even Harder were the last times I did this.)
Old 03-08-07, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nah. For example, I bought each of the Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum editions as they came out, at like $17-20 a pop (total of 7). Now you can buy the whole thing as a thinpak collection for like $50. I knew they'd be available cheaper down the road, but I had never seen the show, and I really wanted to watch it as soon as I could. At the time, not having to wait two years was more important than paying more, and I still don't regret it at all.
Old 03-08-07, 03:57 PM

yes, i bought babel cuz it was cheaper than going to the movies...but i dont really know if i need to own it.
Old 03-08-07, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i buy very few DVDs in the first few months of release anymore. i wait it out. i have a ton of other things to watch until they hit the 7.50 price range.
Old 03-08-07, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This only happen when the DVD still sits unwatched on my shelf or if I buy it at a B&M for more because I want to watch it right now but don't get to it until a week later.
Old 03-08-07, 04:05 PM

I paid more than $50 at Best Buy for season three of Earth Final Conflict.

Then I got season four from Deep Discount for about $23.

At least at BB, I used gift money. But still, what a waste!
Old 03-08-07, 04:21 PM

Only all the time. I'm holding off on For Your Consideration, Borat, and POD because of this.
Old 03-08-07, 04:34 PM

Back when I first started buying DVDs, I would go out and get new releases that I had just rented and enjoyed. Which was stupid for two reasons: 1) Being a week or two after they were released, as opposed to the first week of release, they were at their most expensive prices. 2) I had just watched them when I rented them. So I wasn't going to be re-watching them until the price went down anyway.

So I ended up paying like $20 apiece for movies like Donnie Darko and Bully, when I could've gotten them both for $20 a few months down the road.

I've learned my lesson, though.
Old 03-08-07, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
No.

I am not sure I ever paid full price, not sure what full price even is. I buy what I like to watch repeatedly and pay whatever it costs
Old 03-08-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If it's a new release I really want, I don't care what the price is as long as it's the cheapest I can find it on that Tuesday. For most other things I now wait because I KNOW to expect a 2 for $20 or some other ridiculous deal in about a month.
Old 03-08-07, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

no, not really. i only buy on release date when the dvd comes with a special packaging like slipcase, etc. in that case i honestly prefer to pay full price, rather than sweating that i will not find the first press slipcase anymore at a later point in time. i guess that peace of mind has a certain price
also sometimes i want to own a movie as soon as its released and if i really want something i am willing to pay for it as well.
for me that is still better than going to a movie theatre and spending the cost of a dvd for seeing it only once. at least the dvd has a certain value left, even if i want to resell it later.
i have to admit though, that i have become a bit more "strategic" as to which movies i will purchase on release day and which are not highest priority.
a movie like departed for example i am not willing to wait even one day to have it in my collection, whereas a movie like pursuit of happyness i will wait for the discount price. lately my growing patience has also saved me from puchases like flags of our fathers! i am so happy now to have waited for the special edition. well, then again i guess its normal today, that every movie eventually comes in a better edition, packaging, directors cut, etc
Old 03-08-07, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I feel a little goofy about a few years ago when I first got into DVD's and did all my shopping at Suncoast where I was paying $29 per disk. But I learned my lesson soon enough.
Old 03-08-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yes. In some ways, the fun is gone. I used to look forward to Tuesdays at Best Buy because the first week out was usually best price for a title. Now, I wait for the prices to drop.
Old 03-08-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't say I regret buying them, but I do kind of wish I had waited on a lot of the TV box sets I have. I have a bad habit of buying those as they come out, especially if it's a series I've started already. I'm trying to stop though and wait for prices to drop.

With movies I almost never buy at release anyway. Usually it has to have some sort of exclusive for me to get it immediately. This year's only new release purchases were The Departed for the steelbook and The Pick Of Destiny for the Best Buy bonus disc. I never go to theaters, so anything I want to see I've already been waiting for months anyway. I figure I can make it another month or two for the amount of money I'll save.
Old 03-08-07, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I kind of do. What makes it worse is when that cheaper DVD later on that I paid a higher price for is still in my unwatched pile. I know now what studios have good sales on TV shows and not to jump on the brand new DVD bandwagon unless it's a limited edition two disc edition I want or something like that. There's no reason for me, in most cases, to not wait for them to go down to ten bucks or less.

The worst was paying roughly a hundred dollars or more for X Files and Star Trek season sets, many of which are available for far cheaper prices now.

But the worst I saw was Hercules Season One, an online exclusive for a hundred dollars before it was ever in the stores. I never bought that one (but came close) and now you can find it for about 17.00 on DeepDiscount if you shop at the right time.
Old 03-08-07, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

only when i see movies like crash in the 3.99 bin at CC, especially since i double dipped.
Old 03-08-07, 06:25 PM

Calhoun, you can find some seasons of Hercules for $10 at Ross

I've bought a few DVDs a long time ago that I've seen on sale in the past couple of years, but unless a DVD went on sale a week after I bought it I don't have any regrets. I bought all the Curb and Seinfeld DVDs as they were released, for example, but I've watched them so much that it doesn't bother me when they go on sale.
Old 03-08-07, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I often try waiting to buy DVDs until a price drop...I hardly ever buy things at full price now except movies that I absolutely have to have and TV on DVD
Old 03-08-07, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Not really...the value is owning it now rather then waiting. Considering I am very impatient, I need everything right away so the "lost" money doesn't really bother me.
Old 03-08-07, 07:23 PM

my biggest regret was buying 21 Grams the day it came out because i was too stoked about watching it.

sure enough it's 4.99 at every used dvd store i've ever been to. gah.
Old 03-08-07, 07:25 PM

It really bugs me being young and having little money. I now wait off on new releases unless they are in dire need of a place on my shelf. Seriously what is time vs. more DVDs on the shelf? It's almost ridiculous how cheap some DVDs eventually get an Circuit City that full price would have been 20$. Colour me cheap, I am.
Old 03-08-07, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never bought a DVD at full price.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.