Reload this Page >

Superman Doomsday animated film 9/18

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Superman Doomsday animated film 9/18

Old 03-11-07, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by David Levine
My real concern with all these projects (Death of Superman, New Frontier, Judas Contract, etc.) is how do you do justice to these stories in 75 minutes?
That's what I am saying too. It seems they want to "kiddiefy" these stories and put them in chunks of time frames that they think will be long enough to keep a kid engaged. Give me an epic 3 hour animated movie...if it's good and done right, I will watch it all.
Old 03-11-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
This is going to be rated PG-13, I'm assuming the others will too. My guess is they won't be kiddifying it. The reports I read about the footage they showed said there was blood flying.
Old 03-11-07, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems they want to "kiddiefy" these stories
These are going to be PG-13, though:
(from here)
Considering the differences between the upcoming film and his work on half-hour animated series, Didio asked Timm to explain how the film will be different from a very large episode, to which Timm responded that the production team worked very hard to make the story feel like a PG-13 movie, adding in elements that would never have been permitted in animated series. “It’s nice to have that kind of freedom and at same time have responsibility of not gong overboard with it,” Timm said.
I'm also wondering how they'll manage to rejuggle the story so that it fits in 72 minutes.
Old 03-11-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Sorry, I just can't picture Agent Cooper's voice as Superman.

I guess Bruce Timm has no control over who does the voices. I can't imagine he'd want those actors.

And the head honchos don't want to listen to the fans because they hope to rope in new viewers with these projects. Sucks, I know, but they want these characters to find new audiences.
To be fair, prior to Superman: the Animated Series, I couldn't picture Joe from Wings voice as Superman. I'll wait until seeing the finished product to see how MacLachlan's works.

Why wouldn't Bruce Timm want those actors? For the style and story being told, it could be that they provided the most effective renditions. Again, it's hard to judge until we see the finished product.

And, just to parrot what others have pointed out, these are entirely separate from the standard animated DCU as established on the WB and Cartoon Network. These direct-to-DVD projects were conceived to cater to the older, comics-reading fans and be more traditional adaptations of critically-acclaimed stories. It's not that they don't listen to the fans, these are additional projects for those fans who wanted animated projects that were more faithful to the source material (hence "The Judas Contract" for those who weren't sold on Cartoon Network's "Teen Titans").
Old 03-11-07, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by areacode212
and presumably, distinct art styles for each movie.
They are. Mimicking Darwyn Cooke for New Frontier, George Perez for The Janus Contract, etc.
Old 03-11-07, 11:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Super X
To be fair, prior to Superman: the Animated Series, I couldn't picture Joe from Wings voice as Superman. I'll wait until seeing the finished product to see how MacLachlan's works.

Why wouldn't Bruce Timm want those actors? For the style and story being told, it could be that they provided the most effective renditions. Again, it's hard to judge until we see the finished product.

And, just to parrot what others have pointed out, these are entirely separate from the standard animated DCU as established on the WB and Cartoon Network. These direct-to-DVD projects were conceived to cater to the older, comics-reading fans and be more traditional adaptations of critically-acclaimed stories. It's not that they don't listen to the fans, these are additional projects for those fans who wanted animated projects that were more faithful to the source material (hence "The Judas Contract" for those who weren't sold on Cartoon Network's "Teen Titans").

Teen Titans was for kids while JL and JLU was for both kids and adults. I believe that Timm could have develop perfectly all these DCU story arcs in the JLU series if it wasn't for the head honchos at DCU and WB blocking the use of Batman and Aquaman characters. They could have even developed the Judas contract using the already existing Teen Titans of the JLU universe (Speedy already appeared in the series and Nightwing and several other Titans had a blink and you missed it cameo at one the episodes).

I agree with you that is hard to judge without seeing a final product, but the thing is that JLU was so good at representing the DC Universe and Superman: Brainiac Attracks left such a bad taste in my mouth, that is hard to accept these separate projects and not have skepticism about them.
Old 03-11-07, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Super X

Well, I can see your point about the voice work. I mean, who would have ever thought the guy who played Luke Skywalker would deliver a definitive Joker voice?

Ok, I can accept that Bruce Timm may really want these actors, but I guess I would wonder what is wrong with the actors they had before? Are they onto other projects and unavailable? Or is it simply they want these to stand alone from the previous Bruce Timm cartoons so they are recasting the roles?
Old 03-11-07, 07:40 PM

Or is it simply they want these to stand alone from the previous Bruce Timm cartoons so they are recasting the roles?
That is exactly what it is. Timm wants these to get a fresh start, so different continuity, different animation styles and different actors.
Old 03-12-07, 10:08 AM

That's what I am saying too. It seems they want to "kiddiefy" these stories and put them in chunks of time frames that they think will be long enough to keep a kid engaged. Give me an epic 3 hour animated movie...if it's good and done right, I will watch it all.
I went back and reread the death of superman comics, they seemed liked they were on par for a teenager, I am sure Timm will do his best. its just like re-reading Dark Knight, kinda kiddish to me now compared to when I read it at 12. we all grow up and Doomsday will be aimed at 8 to 14 years old. We were lucky that Justice League Unlimited was so damn good.
Old 03-12-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Again, the PG-13 rating means they probably won't be aiming for 8 year olds.
Old 04-29-07, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Trailer!

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0934706/t...ay-E32340-10-2
Old 04-29-07, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07
Looks good. Seeing Superman bloodied up shows they're definitely getting away from the kiddies.
Old 04-30-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently they're skipping all the "Reign of the Supermen" stuff. Superboy, Steel, Eradicator, and Cyborg were nowhere to be seen.
Old 04-30-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Looking good.

Hopefully, they don't fuck it up like the whole "Brainiac Attacks" thing.
Old 04-30-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This looks pretty damn good. I'm not crazy about the design of Lois. The STAS design as well as Dana Delaney's voice was perfect and definitive for me, so nothing can replace that incarnation of the character. But I'm still looking forward to this, as well as the other movies, like crazy.

I do wish they could go to 100 minutes though (if not a full 120).

I'm really curious to see what they do once they get around to Knightfall, Death in the Family, No Mans Land, or whichever Batman story they do first. Every other voice actor from the DCAU is fair game, but how do you replace Kevin Conroy? Do they even bother to try?

I didn't put DKR, because I think that would be a bad idea. Unless they just went balls to the wall like the Spawn HBO series.
Old 04-30-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Every other voice actor from the DCAU is fair game, but how do you replace Kevin Conroy? Do they even bother to try?
Don't think you can. I don't care how good Batman Begins was - Conroy is still the best Batman to date.
Old 04-30-07, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07
Don't think you can. I don't care how good Batman Begins was - Conroy is still the best Batman to date.
Yes!

Hopefully, they don't try to replace him.
Old 04-30-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
This looks pretty damn good. I'm not crazy about the design of Lois. The STAS design as well as Dana Delaney's voice was perfect and definitive for me, so nothing can replace that incarnation of the character. But I'm still looking forward to this, as well as the other movies, like crazy.

The Lois in this film looks like an "older" Dana from Batman Beyond.

Not too crazy about redesign or the voice changes. Don't know why they couldn't get Daly or Newburn.
Old 04-30-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And what about Clancy?
Old 05-01-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This isn't the same continuity as the animated series, that's why they didn't get the same actors.
Old 06-01-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Update!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7411
Old 06-01-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aspect Ratio: Widescreen (1.78:1)

Better be anamorphic...
Old 06-13-07, 02:22 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Lenticular doomsday cover

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7457
Old 08-23-07, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by miz.eerie
Lenticular doomsday cover
The buzz and promo at last month's Comic Con for this DVD release is Awesome!

Hands Down to Warner for providing a great marketing! looking forward for the DVD release on 9/18/07 - And to add to my WB Lenticular Packaging DVDs

Hoping a Store Exclusive is just around the corner for this DVD release!
Old 08-23-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Isn't it kinda a let down that they totally eliminated the 4 Supermen? I think so.

This story just won't be the same without Steel, Superboy, Cyborg, and Eradicator.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.