DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Dreamgirls -- Due 5/1/07 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/494084-dreamgirls-due-5-1-07-a.html)

Patrick Mirza 03-02-07 10:21 AM

Dreamgirls -- Due 5/1/07

Dreamworks Home Entertainment will release Dreamgirls on May 1st. The Academy Award-winning musical arrives in a single disc edition featuring an anamorphic widescreen transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks. The disc will also include 12 extended musical numbers and alternate scenes, a never-before-seen performance by Jennifer Hudson, and Beyonce's "Listen" music video.

Also available will be a two-disc "Showstopper Edition" which adds 12 never-before-seen musical numbers, a "Building the Dream" featurette, behind-the-scenes footage, auditions and screen tests, and more. Retail is $29.99 for the single-disc and $39.99 for the double-disc. Also look for HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc editions day-and-date.

ohiobobcat 03-02-07 12:30 PM

So it sounds like the 2 discer will be reintegrating the deleted/extended scenes. Hopefully this will be on Disc 2 with the featurette and disc 1 will be the same. (I do not want to shell out for theatrical cut as well - but I will.)

RobCA 03-02-07 02:28 PM

I'm hoping the "12 never-before-seen musical numbers" on the 2-disc set are in addition to the "12 extended musical numbers and alternate scenes" on the single disc. But either way, I'm sure I'll be picking up the 2-disc set.

Can't wait!! :drool:

Rob

Mao 03-02-07 03:16 PM

Glad this was finally announced.

I'm with ohiobobcat and RobCA...I'm all over that 2-discer!

dvd_luver 03-02-07 03:55 PM

Eddie Murphy may have stormed out of the Oscars after he lost to Alan Arkin, but he was OUTSTANDING in this film, and Jennifer Hudson was THE BEST. Will be picking this up for sure as it's an excellent musical!

ReduxGuy 03-03-07 12:57 PM

Def. picking up the 2-disc. My personal choice for Supporting Actress was Adriana Barraza in Babel, but I'm happy that Jennifer Hudson (my runner-up) got recognition.

Here's to hoping she has a nice acting career in the future.

RobCA 03-07-07 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by RobCA
I'm hoping the "12 never-before-seen musical numbers" on the 2-disc set are in addition to the "12 extended musical numbers and alternate scenes" on the single disc.

Looks like they're not, unfortunately, but hopefully, the feature-length documentary should make up for that. Here are the extras, from DVDTimes:

Available in Two-Disc Showstopper Edition and single disc editions the film will be presented in anamorphic widescreen (single disc also available in full screen) with English and French DD5.1 Surround, English DD2.0 Surround along with optional English and Spanish subtitles.

The single-disc DVD includes the same bonus content as listed on Disc One of the Showstopper Edition details below…

Disc One:

* Extended and Alternate Scenes:
∙ Effie, Sing My Song -- Never-before-seen performance by Jennifer Hudson
∙ I'm Looking For Something
∙ Goin' Down
∙ Takin' The Long Way Home
∙ Fake Your Way To The Top
∙ Steppin' To The Bad Side
∙ Heavy
∙ I'm Somebody
∙ I Am Changing
∙ Perfect World
∙ One Night Only
∙ One Night Only -- Disco Version
* Music Video "Listen" by Beyonce Knowles

Disc Two:

* Building The Dream -- Feature-length documentary in nine chapters:
∙ On Broadway
∙ The Dream Is Alive
∙ I'm Lookin' For Something (HD)
∙ Feel So Real (HD)
∙ You Better Move, Move...
∙ The Sound Of Tomorrow
∙ Gonna Take A Mean Ride: A Side
∙ Gonna Take A Mean Ride: B Side
∙ One Night Only

* Dream Logic: Film Editing
* Dressing The Dreams: Costume Design
* Center Stage: Theatrical Lighting

* Auditions and Screen Tests:
∙ Dreamgirls -- Beyonce Knowles screen test
∙ Ain't No Party -- Anika Noni Rose audition
∙ Steppin' To The Bad Side -- Fatima Robinson choreography audition

* Previsualization Sequences:
∙ The Talent Show
∙ Fake Your Way To The Top
∙ Cadillac Car
∙ Steppin' To The Bad Side
∙ I Want You Baby
∙ Heavy
∙ Hard To Say Goodbye

* Image Gallery with over 1,100 images:
∙ Storyboards
∙ Costume Designs
∙ Production Designs
∙ Art Department Archive
They also have the cover art for both versions. I think I prefer the cover art for the single-disc version (it figures), but not enough to buy them both. ;)

Rob

Sabrett 03-07-07 10:43 AM

Looks like they did some serious lipo on JH on those covers...

Shannon Nutt 03-07-07 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by dvd_luver
Eddie Murphy may have stormed out of the Oscars after he lost to Alan Arkin, but he was OUTSTANDING in this film, and Jennifer Hudson was THE BEST. Will be picking this up for sure as it's an excellent musical!

:thumbsup:

WAY better than either CHICAGO or MOULIN ROUGE,that's for sure.

Fincher Fan 03-07-07 10:54 AM

I may blind-buy this on HD since I missed it's theatrical run completely.

Simpson Purist 03-07-07 11:06 AM

Wow this looks like a great DVD, the only thing missing is a commentary.

Definite buy for me.

dkny75 03-07-07 12:23 PM

I'll definitely be picking up the HD DVD. Hopefully they'll add a TrueHD soundtrack.

SI78 04-21-07 03:11 AM

So, I am trying to figure out exactly how many times I need to buy this movie come 5/1.

It's times like these I hate being a fan.

Walmart will have the exclusive 7 track remix CD with the 1 disc version.

Circuit City has an exclusive deluxe edition with 2 DVDs and a 192 pg. book.

Target's ad is a bit vague but it seems like they will either have a 3 disc version or extra exclusive content on the 2 disc version.

I haven't heard a word about best buy yet. Any other random stores having any exclusives that anybody knows about?

Trevor 04-21-07 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by SI78
So, I am trying to figure out exactly how many times I need to buy this movie come 5/1.

It's times like these I hate being a fan.

Walmart will have the exclusive 7 track remix CD with the 1 disc version.

Circuit City has an exclusive deluxe edition with 2 DVDs and a 192 pg. book.

Target's ad is a bit vague but it seems like they will either have a 3 disc version or extra exclusive content on the 2 disc version.

I haven't heard a word about best buy yet. Any other random stores having any exclusives that anybody knows about?

Thanks for the early info. I'll make sure I post it to our definitive thread.

DJariya 04-21-07 01:26 PM

I never saw this but is this worth a blind buy? Or is this a rental?

Seantn 04-21-07 02:29 PM

It does look odd (because we never see it) to see the credit "AND INTRODUCING Academy Award Winner Jennifer Hudson". Somebody winning it on their first film is indeed a huge accomplishment.