Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best way to work through thr Superman: Ultimate Collection box set?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-28-07, 11:14 PM

While I wait for my replacement discs, I thought I'd defer to the masses and ask you guys what you think is the best way to work my way through the box set and all the various iterations of the films.

I'm always at a loss as to whether I should watch the director's cut and skip the theatrical cut, or vice versa. Given the copious amount of both in the set, I wanted to know what everyone felt would be the best way to go through these.

Superman theatrical then Superman 2000 cut with commentary? Superman with commentary then Superman 2000 cut?

Superman II theatrical then Superman II Donner cut with commentary? Superman II Donner cut then Superman II with commentary?

I want to avoid watching the same film four times, so I'm looking for a good strategy... thanks ahead of time everyone...
Old 02-28-07, 11:27 PM
Cool New Member

Here's what I would recommend...

As I'm pretty sure you've seen these films before, I'd suggest watching the newest version of each (the first two films that is)...that way you can watch with a fresh set of eyes....

Then watch superman 3 and 4 with commentary (as I personally thing the movies stink)...the commentary on 4 however was really good as it talks mostly about how the movie sucks and why.

Then go back and listen to the commentaries on 1 and 2 of the newest versions.

As far as superman returns go...on my second veiwing (first was in theatres), I sort of found the movie to be devoid of emotion...don't get me wrong, it was put together well...but it seemed the emotion was told rather than experienced as I felt with the first two films. Also, I didnt really care for the cinematography, it just looked like they pushed too far and the hd couldn't deliver.

So for superman returns, I'd say in a few weeks or months...watch superman 1 and 2 (original versions) and then watch superman returns...because that is what the filmmakers say it was...a direct sequel to superman 2.

Hope that helps...and I won't get offended if you don't execute my viewing schedule

Aj
Old 02-28-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was planning on watching the theatrical cut of Superman: The Movie first and then work my way through the series but with the audio snafu, I did the waiting game too.

I ended up watching:

Superman II: The Donner Cut (had been dying to see this anyways)
Superman Returns (my son really liked the movie so he wanted to see it again)
Superman and the Mole Men

Then I waded through the documentaries while waiting for Supermans I & III to show up from Warner.

Look Up In The Sky
You Will Believe
The Science of Superman (CC exclusive)

Then the Fleischer/Famous cartoons

Then FINALLY, I was able to get through the Reeves series in order. I still haven't watched the extended cut of Superman tho. Probably won't now that I re-lived the perfection of the theatrical cut. The commentary for the extended cut is great however.

All that probably didn't help.
Old 03-01-07, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You're a few months late: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....Superman+order
Old 03-01-07, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Meh, this forum and the bargain forum are the only two I peruse and search through, so there's no way in hell I ever would have found that thread.
Old 03-01-07, 09:09 AM

All I want is the last 2 Supermans and the '40s cartoons in HIGH DEF!!!