DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Revenge: Director's Cut -- 5/8/07

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-07, 07:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Revenge: Director's Cut -- 5/8/07

According to DavisDVD:

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release Revenge: Director's Cut on May 8th. Kevin Costner, Madeleine Stowe and Anthony Quinn star in director Tony Scott's tale of passion and retribution, now presented in a long-delayed new extended cut. The DVD includes a 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks. Extras are TBA. Retail will be $19.94.
Old 02-28-07, 07:18 PM
JIF

Am I the only one who actually liked this movie?

I have the original dvd release. I don't think I'll double dip though.
Old 02-28-07, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
No your not the only one.

I really liked this movie and I thought the ending was really moving. I'll definitelly get this one.
Old 02-28-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Loved this movie, this will be def copped.

I thought the ending was really moving.
Truth
Old 03-01-07, 03:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm pretty sure the movie is only about 30 seconds longer. They show the extended scene where Anthony Quin kicks his dog in the face six times before throwing it in the pool.
Old 03-01-07, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great movie. I rented it about a year ago after Tarantino mentioned liking it on the True Romance commentary.
Old 03-01-07, 08:00 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I don't have the current release, so I'll be picking this one up.
Old 03-01-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
"The Kevin Costner Gets The Snot Beat Out Of Him" Edition.
Old 03-01-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Great movie, one of my guilty pleasures...looking forward to watching again!
Old 05-03-07, 02:05 PM

This is my favorite Tony Scott movie, and I can´t wait to watch the director´s cut. Anyone know more about this cut? More violence? More lovestory? Someone told me it was shorter hmmmm, this is an exciting release!
Old 05-03-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
This movie was something I thought was merely okay and then I heard QT talk about how it was more than it appeared, and then saw its merit. Been waiting for a new release for a while.
Old 05-03-07, 04:21 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
It clocks in at 100 minutes (original ran 123 minutes) with the following features:
Commentary with Director Tony Scott
"Obsession": The Sex and Violence of Revenge

Old 05-03-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
23 minutes shorter?! No way in hell I'm buying this.

Old 05-03-07, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
What the hell is up with a shorter Director's Cut? First Oliver Stone and now Tony Scott. At least it has a commentary and maybe Tony will shed some light on this. BTW, the artwork stinks. What's up with Costner looking like the Marlboro man?
Old 05-03-07, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, is there going to be another worthless dvd review from dvdtalk where the reviewer has not seen to previous cut of the film, again?
Old 05-03-07, 07:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by purplechoe
So, is there going to be another worthless dvd review from dvdtalk where the reviewer has not seen to previous cut of the film, again?
I have to say your post is extremely mean spirited. Unlike hobby sites where 1 or 2 people review everything (and by that I mean picking through the pile to do what they want to review) DVD Talk Reviews 90% of all movies released on DVD. To do this we have a big staff of people. And sometimes it means that the reviewer hasn't got a previous cut. It's not the ideal, but it happens and it's a small price to pay to get the extensive coverage we have of DVDs.
Old 05-04-07, 10:58 AM

What the hell is up with a shorter Director's Cut? First Oliver Stone and now Tony Scott. At least it has a commentary and maybe Tony will shed some light on this.
Revenge was apparently not a very happy experience for Tony Scott. He was denied final cut and what we saw in theaters in 1990 was an edit supervised by producer Ray Stark, not Scott.

Personally, while I really like the original cut (I think it's far and away Scott's best movie), I can definitely see where it could be tightened a lot. The whole Sally Kirkland sequence in particular strikes me as a terribly pointless (and contrived) plot device that could be cut without much trouble.

I'm kind of hoping this isn't just a case of editing out but also adding stuff we've never seen before, too. The movie could use a lot more of the Miguel Ferrer and John Leguizamo characters. It'd also be nice if there was more time spent fleshing out the Costner/Quinn relationship. As is we kind of have to take it on faith that they're good friends. They certainly don't act it, even before Costner lays the pipe to Quinn's trophy wife.

BTW, the artwork stinks. What's up with Costner looking like the Marlboro man?
I agree. Too bad they didn't use the original 1-sheet art (below). It was simple but really cool looking. I have that one on my wall, as a matter of fact!

Last edited by Count_Zero; 05-04-07 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-04-07, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, but I am not going to hate. If Scott had control over this, which it appears he did, and thinks it is a better movie at 100 minutes, then I trust him. And last time I saw it, I thought it easily could have been cut in areas. Longer does not mean better.
Old 08-17-08, 09:30 PM
Suspended

Does anyone have any more opinions on the director's cut vs the theatrical cut? I was bummed to see that the original dvd is so old and apparently fullscreen. I loved this movie and was hoping to finally replace my laser disc, but all I have to replace it with is a seriously cut down Director's cut or a very old pressing of the original cut in fs What are the chances they release the original cut in a new pressing?

Last edited by Crow331; 08-17-08 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-18-08, 01:28 AM
Banned

There's an Original Version in Widescreen- 16x9

but it appears to be Out Of Print for some time.-like all the flippers that had widescreen/fullscreen version

there's a huge line of these dvd's that are hard, but possible to find in Widescreen ( Roxanne, Idle Hands, Cable Guy, Multiplicity, etc.

I'd say checked USED stores. also on ebay, they go for cheap, but kinda hard to decipher at times if you are in fact getting one with the widescreen version as well
Old 08-18-08, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Crow331
Does anyone have any more opinions on the director's cut vs the theatrical cut? I was bummed to see that the original dvd is so old and apparently fullscreen. I loved this movie and was hoping to finally replace my laser disc, but all I have to replace it with is a seriously cut down Director's cut or a very old pressing of the original cut in fs What are the chances they release the original cut in a new pressing?
I like this film quite a bit. I have the old DVD with the PAN/SCAN and 16/9 versions on it and it is clearly the better version to have. I viewed the BR disc which offers the shorter cut the director favored but it definitely stutters - I would not recommend it.

If you could locate a copy of the old DVD, with the widescreen presentation, get it.

(This is probably the last film where Madeline Stowe looked so beautiful, shortly after she underwent the much publicized plastic surgery).

Pro-B
Old 08-18-08, 04:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
I like this film quite a bit. I have the old DVD with the PAN/SCAN and 16/9 versions on it and it is clearly the better version to have. I viewed the BR disc which offers the shorter cut the director favored but it definitely stutters - I would not recommend it.

If you could locate a copy of the old DVD, with the widescreen presentation, get it.

(This is probably the last film where Madeline Stowe looked so beautiful, shortly after she underwent the much publicized plastic surgery).

Pro-B
I didn't know Madeline Stowe plastic surgery was publicized.
I never could figure out how some stars get bad surgeries. You would think they would have first hand knowledge of the best out there.
Old 08-28-08, 12:32 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nplease696
There's an Original Version in Widescreen- 16x9

but it appears to be Out Of Print for some time.-like all the flippers that had widescreen/fullscreen version

there's a huge line of these dvd's that are hard, but possible to find in Widescreen ( Roxanne, Idle Hands, Cable Guy, Multiplicity, etc.

I'd say checked USED stores. also on ebay, they go for cheap, but kinda hard to decipher at times if you are in fact getting one with the widescreen version as well
Thanks for the info, I was able to find the flipper version on ebay for $3.50 Now I'm going to order the DC and see which one I like better.