DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Smoking Aces: [dvd/hd-dvd] -4/17/07 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/493829-smoking-aces-%5Bdvd-hd-dvd%5D-4-17-07-a.html)

gerrythedon 02-27-07 10:05 PM

Smoking Aces: [dvd/hd-dvd] -4/17/07

Universal Home Video has sent over early details on Smokin' Aces which stars the likes of Ben Affleck, Jason Bateman, Andy Garcia, Ray Liotta, and Alicia Keys. The release date has yet to be confirmed I'm afraid, although from what we understand - the disc will be available from the 17th April. As well as an anamorphic widescreen presentation, and English Dolby Digital 5.1 track - the disc will include an alternate ending, around twenty minutes of deleted scenes, outtakes, and more. We'll bring you further details shortly. A HD DVD/Combo release will also be available for around $39.98 or thereabouts.

DVDACTIVE.com

ignition 02-27-07 10:09 PM

I'll at least be renting this, unless some B&Ms have some real good prices for it on release day.

speedyray 02-27-07 11:30 PM

Count me in for the HD-DVD (despite the combo BS).

project86 02-27-07 11:34 PM

I'll definately get this, I loved this movie. Horray for action movies semi-making a comeback.

nateman 02-28-07 01:50 AM

I will get this movie! It looked really good from the previews i saw and since i don't go to the theatres this will be my blind buy (Movie) of the week, when i pick up 'not just the best of larry saunders' dvd.

steebo777 02-28-07 09:10 AM

I liked the flick but will pass.

darkside 02-28-07 09:24 AM

I'll get this one on HD DVD. Hopefully it will be $27.99 at Amazon.

Fincher Fan 02-28-07 09:29 AM

Fucking combos. Still, I may have to pick it up.

Bluelitespecial 02-28-07 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by project86
I'll definately get this, I loved this movie. Horray for action movies semi-making a comeback.

You mean R-rated action flicks?

Jake77444 02-28-07 12:08 PM

I'll get this and throw it in to the wood burning stove to watch it burn.

FantasticVSDoom 02-28-07 01:05 PM

I liked this, but not sure if I will pick it up due to the combo... I guess it will depend on the price and what the reviews are for the quality of the picture/sound.

dpz301 02-28-07 08:16 PM

i enjoyed this in theatres. not sure about the combo, but if there is a 12.99 or so price on release day, i'll get it, otherwise, i might just wait.

DeanoBKN 02-28-07 08:55 PM

I'm in. Pissed about the combo (not the format, but the price) but I will bite the bullet on this one.

jdslater1 03-01-07 02:45 AM

The combo doesn't bother me much. The DVD side means my folks can use it and I can watch it at work. Do people not like combos because of the extra price?

darkside 03-01-07 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by jdslater1
The combo doesn't bother me much. The DVD side means my folks can use it and I can watch it at work. Do people not like combos because of the extra price?

Just the price. I love the combo idea and I lend them to people without HD DVD players, but I wish they were cheaper.

Mr. Cinema 03-01-07 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by jdslater1

I don't like 2-sided discs of any kind.

Mittman 03-01-07 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
Just the price. I love the combo idea and I lend them to people without HD DVD players, but I wish they were cheaper.

Agreed. But with Blu Ray charging the same prices for non-combo releases, I guess things could be worse. I do like the idea of being able to watch these films in the bedroom or any other room in the house besides my HT. It'll be quite a few years before people having multiple HD players for each room of the house is the norm. I know it wasn't until about 1999-2000ish until I had nearly every room covered with a DVD player. And now, until combo players become the norm, I'll have to buy TWO players for each room. I'd much prefer paying an extra $5 to get a DVD copy too. I can live with standard def on my 26 inch LCD in the bedroom, I just want the option to watch new releases either there or in the living room on the big TV.

ConVerse 03-04-07 12:22 PM

This movie rocked the sh*t .... I'll definitely be buying it.

FantasticVSDoom 03-04-07 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by darkside

Exactly... Got lucky with The Departed abd Best Buy, so if they do the same for this one, maybe I will get it.

ConVerse 03-05-07 06:24 PM

Wait a second? Are they releasing a regular DVD and a DVD/HD combo or just the DVD/HD combo?

DoubleDownAgain 03-05-07 06:37 PM

Both the regular DVD and the HD-DVD/DVD combo

DoubleDownAgain 03-05-07 11:35 PM

Doesn't look like a lot of features, I'll wait for a price reduction and/or special edition.

ConVerse 03-06-07 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by DoubleDownAgain
Both the regular DVD and the HD-DVD/DVD combo

Thank god, I'd be pissed if I had to buy an HD-DVD without owning an HD-DVD Player

rexinnih 03-06-07 09:09 AM

Missed it in the theaters. Time for a rental and we'll go from there.

gerrythedon 03-09-07 09:50 PM

Further Details:
Universal Home Video has sent over early details on Smokin' Aces which stars the likes of Ben Affleck, Jason Bateman, Andy Garcia, Ray Liotta, and Alicia Keys. The disc will be available to own from the 17th April, and should retail at around $29.98 in total. The film itself will be presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Extras will include an audio commentary with Writer/Director Joe Carnahan and Editor Robert Frazen, a second commentary with Writer/Director Joe Carnahan, Common, Christopher Holley and Zach Cumer, deleted and extended scenes, outtakes, a Shoot 'Em Up: Stunts & Efffects featurette, a Cowboy Ending featurette, The Line-Up featurette, and The Big Gun featurette. A HD DVD/Combo release will also be available for around $39.98 or thereabouts.

DVDACTIVE.com