DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Poltergeist Special Edition from Warner (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/493728-poltergeist-special-edition-warner.html)

Geekozoid 10-04-07 09:34 PM

Disappointing, yes, but I never bought Poltergeist so I will probably pick this up. They could have at least included that E! True Hollywood Story episode about the whole Poltergeist curse thing.

stonecountry 10-05-07 01:48 AM

Is this new DVD supposed to be a Director's Cut or anything like that? I've watched this film numerous times throughout the years and as recently as a few months ago on my old DVD. However I went tonight to see a one time only theatrical playing of the film in honor of the new upcoming DVD release (they played a brief featurette presumably from the upcoming DVD after the film), and I could have sworn there were a number of things, particularly at the beginning of the film that I don't remember or remember happening differently. I don't think my memory is that bad. I don't have Alzheimers yet. Is there an alternate cut of the film, and is that what's coming to DVD?

Also, it sucks that they scrapped the awesome 2 disc treatment with extras. I pre-ordered this thing thinking it was a great upgrade and even sold my old DVD.

Darth Maher 10-05-07 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by stonecountry
Is this new DVD supposed to be a Director's Cut or anything like that? I've watched this film numerous times throughout the years and as recently as a few months ago on my old DVD. However I went tonight to see a one time only theatrical playing of the film in honor of the new upcoming DVD release (they played a brief featurette presumably from the upcoming DVD after the film), and I could have sworn there were a number of things, particularly at the beginning of the film that I don't remember or remember happening differently. I don't think my memory is that bad. I don't have Alzheimers yet. Is there an alternate cut of the film, and is that what's coming to DVD?

Also, it sucks that they scrapped the awesome 2 disc treatment with extras. I pre-ordered this thing thinking it was a great upgrade and even sold my old DVD.

I missed this... didn't get home in time after work.

What kinds of scenes were different/new?

Living Dead 10-05-07 03:17 PM

I saw the movie last night too, and it also seemed to me that the beginning was longer. I didn't remember anything in particular, but I thought that it seemed to take longer than before to get to the scene where the ghosts finally come out of the TV.

But then I hadn't seen the movie in years, so it could just be coincidence.

RD1973 10-09-07 09:18 PM

I bought this dvd today and I noticed that the trailer (which is listed as an extra on the cover art in one of the posts here) was missing. I guess I have to keep my old snapper too. I love that trailer.

NoirFan 10-09-07 11:29 PM

The DVD doesen't even have the trailer? Wow.

Rammsteinfan 10-09-07 11:43 PM

The opening did seem longer to me as well. Now I havent seen it in a few years as well but it did seem longer for some reason. The 5.1 mix is really awesome. The rear channels really got a workout during the storms and scary scenes. For $10, it was worth the upgrade.

captainjoe 10-10-07 05:36 PM

http://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/foru...pic.php?t=4009

A bunch of comparison shots.

TomOpus 10-10-07 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by captainjoe

Damn, looks good.

dsa_shea 10-10-07 06:10 PM

Looks good but they didn't even include the original trailer. I wish they would release that E! special sometime.

Sparrow 10-10-07 06:19 PM

I haven't seen this movie in ages and never picked up any previous release, so I'll plan to rent it first to see if it holds up. I'll plan to purchase it for the library if I enjoy it and it holds any replay value.

Rammsteinfan 10-10-07 08:50 PM

Interesting to see they changed the credit fonts. Picture does look much better. Is the framing slightly different this time?

Darth Maher 10-10-07 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
Interesting to see they changed the credit fonts. Picture does look much better. Is the framing slightly different this time?

That is weird. Are the new credits the same as the theatrical ones? I never saw Poltergeist in the theater, only on home video/cable/DVD.

ianholm 10-11-07 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Damn, looks good.

Yep, can't wait to get my hands on this!

Snowmaker 10-11-07 12:37 PM

For as much as I watch this movie, I'll just keep my previous release.

TomOpus 10-11-07 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
The opening did seem longer to me as well. Now I havent seen it in a few years as well but it did seem longer for some reason. The 5.1 mix is really awesome. The rear channels really got a workout during the storms and scary scenes. For $10, it was worth the upgrade.

I did a side-by-side comparison with the old DVD and they're the same. I watched up to the point of the "remote war".

I agree that $10 is worth the upgrade. The picture/sound is noticeably improved.

Kguy1326 10-11-07 02:18 PM

I just got back from one store here in Columbus, OH. The Meijer store near me has the price as $21.98. I kid you not. Luckily they didn't have them in. I questioned the guy, and said "I'd like to see the idiots that paid that much and got ripped off." In all honesty since this is practically a bare bones disc, who in the hell would be remotely retarded enough to pay that much, when there's a Best Buy near there selling it for over half the price. (They also priced "Twilight Zone: the movie" at this price too, it was also not there.)

captainjoe 10-11-07 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Seantn
In the pics the framing might look slightly different because they are just taken from the same scenes, not the exact same second. You can see that in some of the pics like the Zelda Rubenstein pic...in picture 1 from old dvd she is not speaking, then in the pic from the new one her mouth is slightly open, so that's why the framing might look slightly different.

That's the only one that doesn't match, the rest do.

Superdaddy 10-12-07 09:43 AM

Currently $9.99 at amazon.com. I received it earlier this week; I had it pre-orderd when it was still $13.99. They credited $4.00 back to my credit card under their "pre-order price guarantee," without my even asking.

tofferman 10-12-07 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
For as much as I watch this movie, I'll just keep my previous release.

One can clearly see the improvement in the picture on this release, but the fact that there are no extras that pertain to the movie, and the loss of the trailer is certainly a disappointment.

On the plus side, one can retire a flipper disc (and a snapper case) for only $10.

Talk about an underwhelming effort by Warner Bros., especially considering they usually put a lot of effort into dvd releases nowadays.

Joel Goodsen 10-12-07 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by tofferman

Talk about an underwhelming effort by Warner Bros., especially considering they usually put a lot of effort into dvd releases nowadays.

You are not wrong there mate. I know fans of movies can build a DVD release up before it has been announced and released, But didnt Warner mention in a chat at HTF that it was going to be a 2 disc SE? I may well be wrong but if Warner did tease fans of the film by stating it was going to be a 2 disc SE etc, that is what really pisses me off.

NoirFan 10-12-07 05:28 PM

Can be had from Family Video, as can Twilight Zone: The Movie, for $8.50 shipped w/ NEWPGMEM coupon.

TexasDVDer 10-14-07 12:41 PM

I'll keep my old snapper-release edition and wait for a real SE. This isn't like Warner's.

RD1973 10-14-07 02:17 PM

So, did they change the fonts on all the opening credits? If so, why would they bother?

lamphorn 10-14-07 03:49 PM

At this point I don't bother buying DVD's that don't have a commentary track anymore. I'm glad they cleaned up the transfer, but there's nothing worth owning here unless you love the film so much you have to watch it over and over. This one's a renter.