DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Poltergeist Special Edition from Warner (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/493728-poltergeist-special-edition-warner.html)

Cameron 07-04-07 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
But we haven't heard a ton of info on October releases from studios yet though. Seems like we're still getting word on a lot of September stuff right now. I would bet we'll hear within a month if it is indeed coming in October.

hope thats true...

FILMCZY 07-05-07 11:11 AM

I'd be surprised if there was a commentary considering the on-going controversy as to who really directed the movie- Hooper or Spielberg?

According to IMDb:

While the on-screen director's credit goes to Tobe Hooper, there is a wealth of evidence to indicate that writer/producer Steven Spielberg was responsible for most of the creative decisions in the movie, with Hooper merely responsible for the mechanics of shooting scenes.

ThatGuamGuy 07-05-07 04:22 PM

Honestly, I don't know how anybody could watch that movie, which looks so much like every movie Spielberg ever directed and nothing like anything else in Hooper's canon, and think Hooper was the main creative force behind it.

Rammsteinfan 07-19-07 03:12 PM

Some updated info:

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/9386

The Monkees 07-20-07 01:38 AM

I don't really know what they are talking about. Besides the interviews... I guess I'm just an idiot though.

riley_dude 07-24-07 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by FILMCZY
I'd be surprised if there was a commentary considering the on-going controversy as to who really directed the movie- Hooper or Spielberg?

According to IMDb:

While the on-screen director's credit goes to Tobe Hooper, there is a wealth of evidence to indicate that writer/producer Steven Spielberg was responsible for most of the creative decisions in the movie, with Hooper merely responsible for the mechanics of shooting scenes.

There's been controversy about this for years. There was even a E! True Hollywood Story a few years ago http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0350749/ with Jobeth and Craig interviewed. They talked about the supposed curse and I think they discussed who directed it. It was a while ago though so don't remember exactly what was said. Perhaps they could put that on the DVD.
A commentary would be very nice especially with Jobeth and Craig T.
Can anyone

Davy Mack 07-24-07 06:21 AM

starting to get worried not seeing any pre-orders anywhere for a BD or HDdvd...

The Monkees 07-24-07 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
There's been controversy about this for years. There was even a E! True Hollywood Story a few years ago http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0350749/ with Jobeth and Craig interviewed. They talked about the supposed curse and I think they discussed who directed it. It was a while ago though so don't remember exactly what was said. Perhaps they could put that on the DVD.
A commentary would be very nice especially with Jobeth and Craig T.
Can anyone

That E! True Hollywood Story is currently on Comcast On Demand, just watched it and I don't remember them saying anything about who directed it, except for the narrator saying Tobe Hooper directed it. They never mention anything about not knowing exactly who did what.

Davy Mack 07-24-07 03:44 PM

True. I watched it too and they didn't mention anything of the sort.

GoldenJCJ 07-24-07 03:47 PM

I was waiting for Spielberg on Spielberg to start the other day on TCM and before it started they played an old 10 min. making of doc. for Poltergiest. Just seeing Spielberg taking control on set leads me to believe that he was the creative force behind this flick. Hooper may have been the technical director, but Spielberg was definitely calling the shots.

FILMCZY 07-24-07 03:56 PM

There was an interview w/William Finley ("Phantom of the Paradise") in Fangoria in which he states he filmed scenes that were eventually cut out by the REAL director of the movie although the CREDITED director wanted to retain his scenes. He claims he still is not allowed to discuss the issue because of the continued controversy. This would make sense since he has worked many times with Tobe Hooper.

Cameron 07-25-07 11:11 AM

i just want to see an extras list

The Monkees 08-03-07 06:25 PM

Any word on special features for this?

Dane Marvin 08-03-07 08:10 PM

The last time I watched this was at a house party and we laughed through most of it. This movie - more than any other - gave me nightmares when I was 4 and 5 years old. Still a good movie though I hardly find it scary anymore and I will buy a 2-disc SE if it ever comes along. Definitely hope the extras go into the supposed "curse" at great length, as that's what fascinates me the most.

Josh-da-man 08-03-07 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
Honestly, I don't know how anybody could watch that movie, which looks so much like every movie Spielberg ever directed and nothing like anything else in Hooper's canon, and think Hooper was the main creative force behind it.

Yep.

The movie never doesn't look or feel like a Spielberg film from his early era (Jaws, CE3K, ET, Raiders). And it's filled with all kinds of "Spielberg moments." Even watching this at twelve or so, and not knowing dick about cinema, I could clearly see Spielberg's "hand" in it.

Darth Maher 08-08-07 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
That E! True Hollywood Story is currently on Comcast On Demand, just watched it and I don't remember them saying anything about who directed it, except for the narrator saying Tobe Hooper directed it. They never mention anything about not knowing exactly who did what.

Damn. It's not on anymore. :thmbsdwn:

Does anybody know when this 2-discer is supposed to be released? I'm getting nervous as we are getting close to the end of the year.

nateman 08-09-07 10:00 AM

I'm getting worried that the two-disc special edition DVD for Poltergeist isn't coming this year as well. I mean most of the stuff for September is already confirmed so maybe they are going to try & release it around Halloween? Or maybe they'll just release it in 2008.

I saw that That E! True Hollywood Story on Poltergeist awhile back & all I can remember was them talking about the "Poltergeist Cruse". I think that it was definitely directed by Speilberg & not Tobe Hooper. Poltegeist doesn't feel like a Tobe Hooper directed film in at all. If you watch the Texas Chain saw Massacre, TCM: 2 or Night Terrors it's completely different from Poltergeist in all ways possible.

Anyways, lets hope this 2 disc special edition gets released before years end.

RJ MacReady 08-09-07 10:18 AM

I dunno... if you've seen Hooper's direct follow-up Lifeforce it has a very similar "Spielbergian" feel. Maybe Hooper could pull things off better with a decent budget, or maybe he learned a thing of two from Spielberg on the set of Poltergeist? Hooper also directed a few episodes of the Taken miniseries...

Damed 08-09-07 11:03 AM

Someone over at AVS posted that Poltergeist (at least the HD-DVD) had been "pulled indefinitely" from the schedule.

It appears Poltergeist: 25th Anniversary Edition has been pulled indefinitely. If this is old news, please disregard this post.

*snip*

My contact at WB emailed me with the information a few hours a go. Who knows, they (WB) may decide to still release it.

Dane Marvin 08-09-07 11:24 AM

^ That's terrible news if true. I was definitely thinking it would have been a late October Halloween-time release in which case we wouldn't know about it yet. But if it's off the schedule indefinitely, I'm not happy about it.

Cameron 08-09-07 12:02 PM

with no reason why, just "my rep at Warner" doesn't hold to much cred

dullboy 08-09-07 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by nateman241
I think that it was definitely directed by Speilberg & not Tobe Hooper. Poltegeist doesn't feel like a Tobe Hooper directed film in at all. If you watch the Texas Chain saw Massacre, TCM: 2 or Night Terrors it's completely different from Poltergeist in all ways possible.

Poltergeist did star Lou Perryman in a small role, though...who was also in TCM:2 and was a cameraman on the original Chainsaw.

bboisvert 08-09-07 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
with no reason why, just "my rep at Warner" doesn't hold to much cred

If you'd seen some of the other "news" from this individual's "reps", you'd have even more doubts.

TomOpus 08-09-07 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
If you'd seen some of the other "news" from this individual's "reps", you'd have even more doubts.

Dalvin posts at AVS?? ;)

nateman 08-10-07 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by dullboy
Poltergeist did star Lou Perryman in a small role, though...who was also in TCM:2 and was a cameraman on the original Chainsaw.

Oh, I didn't notice that. Thanks for reminding the old knocker'. I'll have to go & watch my DVDs of TCM:2 & Poltergeist now.