Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Behind the scene" shows confrontation amoung film crews/actors?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-22-07, 09:42 AM

I just finished watching R3 Hong Kong release of Japanese movie "Memories of Matsuko". In the "making of...", the film crew mentioned many times there is misunderstanding between the director (Nakashima Tetsuya, of "Kamikaze Girls") and the leading actress (Nakatani Miki.) And then, during the interview with the Tetsuya, he said that he would love to make another movie with Miki but she said she don't want to make another movie with him any more... and then, on a separate inetreview with Miki, she did said that she don't want to make another movie with Tetsuya, she goes this far saying that she don't even want to see his face again!

This remind me another Japanese movie I watched before, Yoichi Sai's "Blood and Bone". In the "making of..." it actually shows the director slapped one of the young assistance, in the face!! On a separate interview, Leading man Takeshi Kitano talked about Sai, who is famous for bad temper, and one of the condition for Kitano to be in the movie, was that Sai agreed he could not yeld at him.

I am curious if any American movie, its DVD has the behind the scene that shows simsilar confrontation amoung the film crew/actors?? The only ones I remember are somthing form Terry Gilliam (behind of scene of Brazil, and in "Lost in La Mancha") and Coppola (see Apocalypse Now documentary "Heart of Darkess.)

I assume most of the "making of..." out there, is nothing more than marketing tool, in which people just keep kissing each other's ass...

Last edited by tsetse27; 02-22-07 at 02:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-22-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know there was a bit of it between Bruce Willis and Gilliam on the 12 Monkeys doc.

Also, on the Shining DVD making-of you see Kubrick and Shelley Duvall get into it a little.
Old 02-22-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I seem to recall the feature length doc. on The Abyss has pretty much all the actors pissing and moaning about what a hard ass James Cameron is.
Old 02-22-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Check out the Herzog Documentary, My Best Fiend. There's some footage of a massive duel going on between Herzog and Klaus Kinski on the set of Fitzcarraldo. Hoooly Sheeit!
Old 02-22-07, 02:26 PM

Double Indemnity - "Shadows of Suspense"
There are talks on how screenwriters Billy Wilder and Raymond Chandler conflicted in work. Including verbal insults, threatening to quit, drinking again and etc.

On the Waterfront - "Contender: Mastering the Method featurette"
Light remarks on Marlon Brando's attitude towards his performance.

American History X
There are few youtube video clips of Edward Norton criticizing the director Tony Kaye.
Old 02-22-07, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Check out the Herzog Documentary, My Best Fiend. There's some footage of a massive duel going on between Herzog and Klaus Kinski on the set of Fitzcarraldo. Hoooly Sheeit!
I've definately got to rent this..!!
Old 02-22-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Behind-the-scenes features for Japanese movies tend to be a lot more candid and less promotional than those for American movies. Pretty much every interview I've seen for a Japanese movie shows everyone looking glum and dissatisfied with their work and their existence. Either the Japanese film industry is a really miserable place to work, or there's some sort of fetishitic obsession with seeing people unhappy that sells really well in Japan.
Old 02-22-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Yes, the feud between Herzog and Kinski on Fitzcarraldo and Aguirre puts all others to shame. You get the on-camera yelling. Too bad some of the crazier stuff is just in the form of stories. Like when the natives offer to kill Kinski and Herzog considers it. And when Herzog directs Kinski at gunpoint (though Herzog denies this).

I've just heard stories about conflicts - not seen the actual conflicts themselves. Though the Project Greenlight movies ("Stolen Summer", "Battle of Shaker Heights", and "Feast") have tons of that kind of stuff in the series (though not on the movie DVD itself).

There are plenty of non ass-kissing DVD making-ofs. The docs on the Alien set were very candid - especially for Alien 3. Linda Fiorentino gets slammed in the commentary for Dogma. The 20,000 Leagues under the Sea doc is surprisingly candid (especially for Disney movie). Kirk Douglas gets called out for his enormous ego, and Paul Lukas gets slammed for just being miserable to work with.
Old 02-22-07, 04:00 PM

The Rosemary's Baby DVD has some brief but revealing footage, and some candid recollections, of the mind games going on between Roman Polanski and Mia Farrow during that production. It was somewhere between sadism and flirtation.

Last edited by legend42; 02-22-07 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-22-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Doesn't the DVD of The Exorcist mention the conflicts between William Friedkin and Ellen Burstyn (and William O'Malley)?
Old 02-22-07, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, on the commentary for The Limey, the director (Steven Soderberg) and writer (Lem Dobbs) argue a bit for a few minutes.
Old 02-22-07, 07:20 PM
Bye

It's always interesting when "Special Edition" DVDs are released and members of cast and crew are brought back years later, especially when there were reports of friction between them while the movie was being made. One that stands out for me is hearing Warren Littlefield join in on a Seinfeld commentary, since everybody's heard about the often tense relationship between the network and the creators. It never got openly hostile, but an occasional jab along the lines of "see, and you weren't gonna let us do that" being thrown definitely kept it interesting.
Old 02-22-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Few brief ones:

Lloyd Kaufman (Associate producer of Final Countdown) bags on director Don Taylor in the 2-Disc featurette.

Rob Zombie briefly gets bummed with a crewmember (I'm assuming) about one of the sets on Devil's Rejects. I would still get spooked if Zombie lost his cool with me!

And as Josh Z mentioned, I've only seen a few Japanese BTS featurettes and Battle Royale had one moment where one of the young actresses is crying in front of the camera in a video-journal kind of way. Don't know what she's saying since I don't speak Japanese nor can read Korean subtitles.
Old 02-22-07, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I stopped watching most of them, or at least stopped paying attention when they all said the same thing, the only thing that changed were the names. This director was great and the other lead was the best and the writers were awesome yada yada yada
Old 02-22-07, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While almost all of the commentaries and behind-the-scenes stuff on The Simpsons DVDs consist of praise and anecdotes, there are some exceptions. In particular on the season 3 DVD when Julie Kavner and Harry Shearer (according to the writers) express their dislike for the episode "Homer At The Bat" (which is ironically considered by many to be one of the best episodes). The cast/crew commentaries also talk about some of the funny confrontations with the various guest stars (Lawrence Tierney's is a riot).
Old 02-22-07, 10:42 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Pretty much every interview I've seen for a Japanese movie shows everyone looking glum and dissatisfied with their work and their existence.
I dunno, Akira Kurosawa looked pretty happy in the documentaries found on the Criterion DVDs. Then again, they were done after his bout of suicidal depression in the 1970's.
Old 02-22-07, 10:46 PM

Lloyd Kaufman and every crew member on "Citizen Toxie" and "Terror Firmer" documentaries.
Old 02-22-07, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

While almost all of the commentaries and behind-the-scenes stuff on The Simpsons DVDs consist of praise and anecdotes, there are some exceptions. In particular on the season 3 DVD when Julie Kavner and Harry Shearer (according to the writers) express their dislike for the episode "Homer At The Bat" (which is ironically considered by many to be one of the best episodes). The cast/crew commentaries also talk about some of the funny confrontations with the various guest stars (Lawrence Tierney's is a riot).
that was good, that was one of the few commentaries i listen to on the simpsons dvds, to much praise and anecdotes as you have said on alot of the commentaries for me, the one i am intresting in hearing is the season 9 premiere about the twin towers episode- i havn't got around to watching the dvd through.
Old 02-23-07, 12:22 AM
Bye

Originally Posted by Simpson Purist
The cast/crew commentaries also talk about some of the funny confrontations with the various guest stars (Lawrence Tierney's is a riot).
Yeah, there was some unflattering discussion of him on the Seinfeld DVDs too, since he guested on one episode playing Elaine's father, and scared the shit out of the cast and crew.
Old 02-23-07, 01:13 AM
Banned

I love "Red Dragon" and I have to hand it to Brett Ratner for doing such a good job on it and I always get shit for defending it and saying that it's superior to "Manhunter" but I don't care.

That said he does some pretty stupid shit on the doc included in the 2-disc "Director's Edition" of the "Red Dragon" DVD.

I haven't watched it in a few years but the scene of the house explosion comes to mind. Ratner is shown expressing his belief that the actors would be more convincing if they got right up close to the explosion and the fire but that obviously gets shot down by his various handlers and producers and whatnot because it's just insanely dangerous.

But yeah, not exactly a confrontation but it's rare that a DVD featurette portrays the director as a complete moron.
Old 02-23-07, 02:28 AM
Bye

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
...it's rare that a DVD featurette portrays the director as a complete moron.
Well, I've thought Ratner was a moron since I was first introduced to him through the bonus material on the Rush Hour DVD.

Speaking of unflattering DVD extras, one of the Newsradio season sets included some video shot by producers of Andy Dick stoned out of his mind in his trailer. Funnier still is that while they were recording commentaries for episodes and Andy was in the booth, they recorded a commentary for the "Andy stoned in his trailer" footage! Of course he's probably proud of being stoned and acting like an idiot, but it was apparent that he wasn't aware that "the joke was on him", so to speak.
Old 02-23-07, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think he is aware that the joke was on him, he just didn't care. As far he is concerned, it's attention on him. That seems to sum up Andy Dick (and i'll admit that I found his MTV show to be hilarious, so I don't hate the guy, it's just an observation)
Old 11-09-09, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: "Behind the scene" shows confrontation amoung film crews/actors?

Felt like bumping this one since the "No Holds Barred commentaries" topic seems kinda hot.

A few others I remembered:

Justine De Sade (Interview) Jess Franco basically spits at the camera when trying to sum up his feelings of working with the lead actress.

Xtro (Interview) I'm not sure if this interview is available on every Xtro DVD, but the director (Who also made parts 2 & 3) isn't shy about slamming Jan Michael-Vincent as far as Xtro 2 is concerned.

EDIT-BTW, after re-watching My Best Fiend, the confrontation footage I was referring to probably had more to do with Kinski and the catering service(!) than Herzog.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 11-09-09 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-09-09, 11:36 PM
Banned

Kinski is a scary fucker.
Old 11-09-09, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hear there was some tension behind the scenes on I Heart Huckabees, but I don't think that made the DVDs.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.