DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Which Little Rascals short is this? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/493208-little-rascals-short.html)

Lucas McCain 02-21-07 01:24 PM

Which Little Rascals short is this?

I wasn't sure which forum to put this question in so I'll put it here since the Rascals are on DVD and I'm interested in seeing this particular short again but I don't know the name of it.....

Spanky (who's young by the way) has a brother at the table that keeps feeding their dog sausage off his plate. Spanky wants it instead but the brother won't give it to him. Spanky sneaks under the dinner table and acts like he's the dog and gets one of the sausages. Realizing what's going on, the brother puts tabasco sauce or pepper or something on a sausage and gives it to Spanky and Spanky eats it and then makes this "Werg" sound that sounds like a screwed up moo from a cow and it is the funniest sound/scene I've ever heard or seen. Does anybody know the name of this particular Rascals short? Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks.

rich-y 02-21-07 08:38 PM

That would be "Birthday Blues".

It's the same episode where The Gang bakes a cake filled with crazy "prizes" (like a mousetrap, hairbrush and a bar of soap) to raise money to buy Spanky's mom a birthday gift (because the Dad's an ass and made her return the dress she received by C.O.D.).

The sound effect is used a number of times throughout the episode, including when the water bottle inside the cake expands and then explodes (thus sending cake everywhere!).

Great episode!

Mopower 02-21-07 09:11 PM

So how marvelous was it to live in the 30's? I heard that FDR was really something.

rich-y 02-21-07 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mopower
So how marvelous was it to live in the 30's? I heard that FDR was really something.

I can't comment because Nixon was being impeached when I was born.

JIF 02-21-07 10:43 PM

That was a great episode. I haven't seen it in over 20 years but I totally knew the episode you were talking about and the sound you were describing (Weoooh!).

If they released the Little Rascals in a box set much like the Twilight Zone, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

rich-y 02-22-07 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by JIF
If they released the Little Rascals in a box set much like the Twilight Zone, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I was lucky enough to pick up the Cabin Fever set of The Little Rascals when they were sent to graveyardmall.com a few years back. I say I was lucky because they're very rare and feature the Leonard Maltin introductions.

Like you, I still like a box set of the complete run.

Lucas McCain 02-22-07 09:07 AM

Awesome! Thanks guys! I already looked on youtube and found it and watched it. I must have watched him Woooh that sausage 5 or 6 times. SO funny. Thanks DVD talk people!

Bronkster 02-22-07 10:40 AM

After reading this thread I went to watch the video too - awesome! I haven't seen any Our Gang/Little Rascals shorts in a few decades. A good compilation would be quickly added to my collection.

BTW, Lucas McCain - the sound can be had in wav form at this site: http://www.barbneal.com/uncat.htm - it's called wewow.wav

JIF 03-09-07 02:58 AM

<i>Mod note: Ebay link removed</i>

Cameron 03-09-07 08:50 AM

bootlegs

laseca 03-09-07 11:52 AM

I still have my four big box sets of the Little Rascals on laserdisc that have the Leonard Maltin intros. Each box set contains about 24 episodes with the fourth set at 16. That's about 90 episodes in total. There is nothing like this out on DVD so I prize these sets. See them on eBay every now and then but they aren't cheap.

Cameron 03-09-07 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by laseca
I still have my four big box sets of the Little Rascals on laserdisc that have the Leonard Maltin intros. Each box set contains about 24 episodes with the fourth set at 16. That's about 90 episodes in total. There is nothing like this out on DVD so I prize these sets. See them on eBay every now and then but they aren't cheap.

if you have the cabin fever disc you could drop the first two box sets...has all the intros and everything

TexasDVDer 03-10-07 11:49 AM

I have the four box sets on laserdisc. I bought them as laserdiscs were being phased out for (I think) $9.99 each. Great price.

The box sets vary in length from 426 minutes, 431 minutes, 339 minutes to 320 minutes for volume 4. I kind of wish they had been released in chronological order but this is better than not having any releases.

Anyone know who owns the DVD rights?

Cameron 03-10-07 04:50 PM

Hallmark distributed through Lions Gate owns everything that was on the laser disc.

TexasDVDer 03-10-07 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
Hallmark distributed through Lions Gate owns everything that was on the laser disc.

That's too bad. I understand they also have the rights, for some reason, to a lot of the Laurel and Hardy shorts and are doing nothing with them.