DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Mission Impossible 2nd season June 5.

Old 02-21-07, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mission Impossible 2nd season June 5.

Yes, can't wait. See link and pic below: Looks great.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6949
Old 02-21-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is excellent news. I just recently got through the last episodes of Season 1. The show is fantastic. This is an essential purchase for me.
Old 02-21-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-21-07, 11:24 AM

Good morning, Mr. Phelps.
Old 02-21-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wasn't a fan of Steven Hill as the IMF leader so I didn't bother with season 1, but I might go for this one.

Not that I looked that hard, but was season 1 advertised well? I don't recall seeing what the prices were in-store.
Old 02-21-07, 04:17 PM
Bye

It bothers me that they refuse to use the admittedly dated-looking original show logo on the box and instead insist on using the logo from the awful related-in-name-only movies, but being a big Peter Graves fan (although Steven Hill was good, too), I'm very happy to see that the second season is on the way.
Old 02-21-07, 09:39 PM

In what season they started to use latex masks?

It's a strange question but someone asked me
Old 02-21-07, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't wait for 6-5-07 & the first Phelps season. I loved the first season release but I hope they publicize this one better. I've never seen it in a store or an ad. Luckily I got it Season 1 with my trial Amazon Prime. I'll probably end up getting season 2 with SSS from them if they do another stealth release.
Old 02-22-07, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by catracho
In what season they started to use latex masks?

It's a strange question but someone asked me
1st season
Old 02-22-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I wasn't a fan of Steven Hill as the IMF leader so I didn't bother with season 1, but I might go for this one.

Not that I looked that hard, but was season 1 advertised well? I don't recall seeing what the prices were in-store.

Its funny but i used to feel the same as a kid. Whenever an episode would come on TV and it had Steven Hill i would let out a groan. After buying the 1st season set and rewatching them i have actually gotten to like him. I still don't think that he was as good as Peter Graves, but he had an everyman quality that made him kinda beliveable.

On a side note....why the hell wasn't Rollin Hand (Martin Landau) the head of the team. His character along with Barney were the real team...they did practically everything. Peter Lupus really did nothing at all in every episode. It always cracks me up seeing what menial jobs they make him do.

Last edited by james2025a; 02-22-07 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-22-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, Peter Lupus was the strong man of the group and did the heavy lifting while Barney, like the Ving Rhames character in the movies, was the tech guy. And it is interesting, but it did seem Rollin Hand (don't know why, but that name makes me laugh) was the main guy in some episodes but in others he would only be around for maybe 5-10 minutes of the episode... or am I confusing him with Nimoy?

Speaking of which, I can't remember, what season did Leonard Nimoy come in?
Old 02-22-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah i know what you mean about Lupus. I was watching the episode with Eartha Kitt the other day where all he practically did all the episode was lift a ventilation piece (with Kitt inside it) into place and remove the old one.

Barney and Rollin were the main go to guys and seemed to always be the strongest players. I wonder how much of this was due to Steven Hill causing a lot of problems on set due to his not working certain days due to his religous beliefs? I know thats why they replaced him with Peter Graves. I can imagine that his role might have been more substantial if he was working the full week as everyone else.

I actually can't remember when Nimoy came into it. This is a show where guest appearances work really well. Although one thing that i find really impossible is that every man in the show is bowled over by Barbara Bains beauty. No offence to her then husband Martin Landau.....but she was really not a looker IMO.
Old 02-22-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did you guys notice in almost every episode of the first season, when steven hill choose the agents for the mission, he always smiled a little when he looked at Bains picture and then throw it on the table somewhere. Just something silly that i've noticed.
Old 02-22-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I noticed that as well, lol.

Off topic, but do you think this is a series that can be done again for TV and done more as a suspense-thriller than action? For me, I like the little things like Hill/Graves picking out the agents (and seeing ones he tossed aside) and how, like james mentioned, they could insert guest appearances quite easily. If it were done, I would like to see it in the style of CSI, meaning no season-long story arch but instead self contained episodes (or maybe 2-parters, like had been done on occasion originally).

In fact, I liked Liev Schreiber so much in CSI, he'd make a good Rollin Hand-like character.
Old 02-22-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I noticed that as well, lol.

Off topic, but do you think this is a series that can be done again for TV and done more as a suspense-thriller than action? For me, I like the little things like Hill/Graves picking out the agents (and seeing ones he tossed aside) and how, like james mentioned, they could insert guest appearances quite easily. If it were done, I would like to see it in the style of CSI, meaning no season-long story arch but instead self contained episodes (or maybe 2-parters, like had been done on occasion originally).

In fact, I liked Liev Schreiber so much in CSI, he'd make a good Rollin Hand-like character.
That is an excellent idea. I would rather see a good TV show brought back for this than the Cruise movies. I actually don't mind the movies, but for me the are just a totally different entity than the TV show. The climate is perfect for this to be a huge success again as a TV show. I love the same aspects of the show as you guys. Picking the agents, going through the plan, the mid point semi-cliff hanger. I have never been into CSI, but recently i started watching some of CSI: Miami and i have been really enjoying the hell out of it. The CSI style would be a great move for this show.

By the way, yeah i notice the sly grin he has as well....lol. The dirty fiend.
Old 02-22-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After thinking about it, I might wait for all the seasons to come out and buy them all at once. Hopefully they'll make a special box a la MASH. I never think about doing this until I already have half the seasons of a series (like Frasier, Buffy, etc).
Old 02-22-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, Peter Lupus was the strong man of the group and did the heavy lifting while Barney, like the Ving Rhames character in the movies, was the tech guy. And it is interesting, but it did seem Rollin Hand (don't know why, but that name makes me laugh) was the main guy in some episodes but in others he would only be around for maybe 5-10 minutes of the episode... or am I confusing him with Nimoy?

Speaking of which, I can't remember, what season did Leonard Nimoy come in?
Nimoy is seasons 4 and 5

Peter Lupus/Greg Morris-all seven seasons
Steven Hill - 1
Peter Graves 2-7
Martin Landau 1-3
Barbara Bain 1-3
Leonard Nimoy 4-5
Lee Merriweather-4
Lesley Ann Warren-5
Sam Elliot-5
Linda Day George 6-7
Barbara Anderson 7
Old 02-22-07, 05:49 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by rw2516
1st season
Yeah, Rollin used a pretty sophisticated mask to impersonate the leader of Santa Costa in the pilot episode, but what really impressed me was that in the episode "The Town", he melted a clear plastic sheet to make a mask of the doctor.
Old 02-22-07, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516
1st season
Originally Posted by Mike Adams
Yeah, Rollin used a pretty sophisticated mask to impersonate the leader of Santa Costa in the pilot episode, but what really impressed me was that in the episode "The Town", he melted a clear plastic sheet to make a mask of the doctor.
Thank you guys
Old 02-23-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not up for pre-order anywhere yet. Here's to hoping for a good deal somewhere.
Old 03-12-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Up for preoder now:

http://www.amazon.com/Mission-Imposs...3721235&sr=1-1