Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

tvguide.com acquires tvshowsondvd.com

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by speedyray
The site is owned by TVGuide -> TVGuide has a hand in a DVD release -> they own a website that puts out news about said type of releases -> thus the site releases info about the release that was paid for -> they title site news so it is different than the regular news stories.
But they use the "Site News" category for actual news stories about DVDs.

See: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7206, http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7170, http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7133 for some recent examples.

Geoff does stuff around here from time to time that is similar (ads in the post come to mind but that was axed and we have a thread specifically in the bargains forum for coupons from and contact with DVDPlanet founder Mark that is stickied)
Apples and oranges, Speedy. DVDTalk is not a news site, it is a message board/discusssion forum. There is very little news here that is posted by Geoff or someone on behalf of the site (which is not a knock on DVDT, it's just the nature of the site). The ads in the posts, I can almost see your point, but he quickly got rid of those due to user feedback. The DVDPlanet thread is totally different than the situation with TSoD. That is titled "Coupons for DVDPlanet." There's no question about what that thread is. Plus, I don't believe Mark actually pays Geoff for that thread. Not to mention the fact that it is nowhere near being indicated as news.

for advertisers - its called paying the bills - free sites have to get some money from somewhere (advertisers).
The Banacek ads that were on the right-hand side and bottom of the screen everyday for about a week help pay the bills (not to mention the other ads on the site). They shouldn't "sell" news stories, as well.
Old 05-17-07, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Scott27
But the problem is that is not "something so small." For a news site (which is what TSoD is) to pass off something that is a paid advertisement as news hurts their credibility. And don't say they didn't try to pass it off as news - it was listed under "Latest News" and categorized as "Site News." It wasn't until someone clicked on the link that it was noted that it was actually paid by the company releasing the set. This sets a bad precedent for the site.

Think about it - It's similar to if you're at CNN's Web site and they have a link to a story called "McDonald's Makes an Announcement Today." You click it, expecting to see news about the company but instead it's an "advertorial" for a new sandwich that McD's is launching that day, paid for by McD's. That's just wrong.

If Gord continues to allow these "advertorials" to be posted to his site, I hope he makes them look a little less "newsy" in the future.

P.S. I've also had a problem with the lack of Gord and Dave mentioning the site's association with TVG in articles about the upcoming TVG releases. It's pretty much a standard for news organizations to do that (i.e. MSNBC mentions their connection to Microsoft or GE when they do a story about either company; CNN is the same with Time Warner).
How is the "advetorial" that much different from a regular press release? TVGuide put out a press release for their DVD and they paid to put it on a site the own. Where's the problem? I saw the "advetorial" and it seemed fine to me.

And if you're going to use the news as an illustration...I take it you don't watch the Daily Show? Jon Stewart had a story about how corporations will buy time on TV news and pay the channels to air segments that look like real news reports, but they are actually ads for what the corporation is trying to sell. And in those situations, you are NOT told before hand that is what you are watching. At least with Gord, you know what you're getting into, and the stuff is appropriately labled.
Old 05-17-07, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see the point, as it was labeled as 'Site News' yet it did not contain one bit of news about the DVD release until the very bottom, all of which was included in the original news item on 07 March. This was a 7 paragraph "if you liked these shows, you'll probably like this," recommendation a la amazon.com- except it only takes that company 1 sentence to achieve the same effect. I particularly liked how the 'TVSHowsonDVD Staff' writer(s) managed to work in 'Banacek' or 'Peppard' into a discussion of the other mentioned investigators. I am looking forward to picking up this release and don't have any hard feelings toward the site for this, only that they tried to pass it off as news.
Old 05-18-07, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
How is the "advetorial" that much different from a regular press release?
Because of how you label it. You label press releases with "Press Release". You label "Reviews" with "Review".

Would you accept labeling a press release as "Review"? You pick up the New York Times, read the latest movie review (surprise, it's glowing) and you get to the bottom of it and it says "Adver-review"?

You can put as many press releases and advertorials as you want on your pages. But *don't* label them as something they're not.
Old 05-18-07, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw
Because of how you label it. You label press releases with "Press Release". You label "Reviews" with "Review".

Would you accept labeling a press release as "Review"? You pick up the New York Times, read the latest movie review (surprise, it's glowing) and you get to the bottom of it and it says "Adver-review"?

You can put as many press releases and advertorials as you want on your pages. But *don't* label them as something they're not.
AFAIR, the article on tvshowsondvd.com clearly stated it was an advetorial once you clicked on the link, so I guess I don't see the issue. If you were not interested in the show they were posting a story about, then why did you click it? If you clicked it because you were interested in the program and then saw the advetorial thing, why would that turn you off? Because somebody paid for it to be there? You were obviously looking for information for that particular DVD, you found it, no big deal. If you didn't want the information, you didn't have to click the link. No loss.

There are plenty of news stories on your local channels and reviews critics write that are paid by other parties to get their agenda out there that are NOT labeled. Go after them if you are on some kind of crusade.

Last edited by calhoun07; 05-18-07 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-22-07, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
You were obviously looking for information for that particular DVD, you found it, no big deal. If you didn't want the information, you didn't have to click the link. No loss.
That's the freakin' point. I *wanted* information. And that's what was promised by the labelling of the story as "Site News", which *used* to mean info provided by staff of tvshowsondvd.

What I got was a freakin' commercial. Drink more Ovaltine.

There are plenty of news stories on your local channels and reviews critics write that are paid by other parties to get their agenda out there that are NOT labeled. Go after them if you are on some kind of crusade.
As yes, the old "zealot" and "hypocrite" canards.

It ain't a crusade. It's pointing out a deceptive practice whenever you run across it. If I ever watched local channels, I'd complain about them if they did something similar.

Anyway, you obviously don't get it. I'll just mark you down as on the "will accept any advertising practice no matter how deceptive" camp.
Old 05-22-07, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the support guys, but Feathers McGraw makes a valid point. Here's my explanation of what happened...

Hart Sharp paid for an advertorial to be written about Banacek as part of their "media buy" (banner advertising). We've never done anything like this before, and when I went to post it I put it under "Site News," which is something we use when we're posting something that pertains to more than one show (and no emails go out to users either). I figured this was the best way to handle the Advertorial, but a few users emailed me over the next day or so and complained, much like Feathers McGraw did here. I spoke to my boss at TV Guide and all future Advertorials will show up in a special section on the main page, not under the news like this one did. The intent wasn't to deceive anyone into clicking on the item (it would have been labeled "HOT NUDE GIRLS" if that were the case). At the time I thought I was handling it the best way possible, and now we have a better way thanks to the feedback we received.

Does this harm the integrity of the website? I'll leave that up to each person to decide, but you guys should know that I was ultimately the one who decided how this was posted to the main page of the site, and I messed it up.

Gord
Old 05-22-07, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Two points Gord:

1. Thank you for owning up to it. That takes cojones, just ask Wallace Shawn.

2. These "Hot Nude Girls" you speak of...I'm interested in your religion and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Old 05-22-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw
That's the freakin' point. I *wanted* information. And that's what was promised by the labelling of the story as "Site News", which *used* to mean info provided by staff of tvshowsondvd.

What I got was a freakin' commercial. Drink more Ovaltine.

As yes, the old "zealot" and "hypocrite" canards.

It ain't a crusade. It's pointing out a deceptive practice whenever you run across it. If I ever watched local channels, I'd complain about them if they did something similar.

Anyway, you obviously don't get it. I'll just mark you down as on the "will accept any advertising practice no matter how deceptive" camp.
Whatever.

If you wanted information about the show and you clicked on the link, you got information about the show. Somebody else paid for it. You got offended by the information because somebody else paid for it...but you still got what you came to find. If you got offended, that's fine, you are welcome to your own opinion, but I guess I wonder why you got so angry about it when it apparently delivered what you were looking for. To me, I don't care if Gord got some extra cash to keep running that great site. Way to go Gord! I am also not interested in that show and would NEVER have clicked on that link if you all didn't start whining about it here.

And don't mark me down on any of your lists. You do not know me well enough to know what list to put me on.
Old 05-22-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Congrats to Gord and Dave. Amazing!
Old 05-22-07, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gord,
Thanks for clarifying, and listening to feedback.
Old 05-23-07, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like Gord, at least he responds to the feedback. People always have to bitch about something, they always look at the negative and rarely look at the positive things.
Old 05-23-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Although I never had a huge problem with the last one, Gord's new plan will be better. I am glad he came and clarified so everyone can just get back to their lives.
Old 05-23-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gord Lacey
I spoke to my boss at TV Guide and all future Advertorials will show up in a special section on the main page, not under the news like this one did.

Thanks, Gord. That is the best solution for all IMO.
Old 05-23-07, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gord Lacey
Thanks for the support guys, but Feathers McGraw makes a valid point. Here's my explanation of what happened...

I spoke to my boss at TV Guide and all future Advertorials will show up in a special section on the main page, not under the news like this one did.
Thanks Gord. That's an excellent way to handle it.
Old 07-24-07, 08:15 PM

As promised, the newest Advertorial is in an "Advertorial" section on the main page, and doesn't appear as a news item unless you click on "News" or visit the page for the show (but I think most people view it on the main page of the site anyway, correct?)

Gord
Old 12-16-07, 07:03 PM

How is a new amazon sale each day "news"? These are advertisements and should be seperate.
12/14-12/16:
Amazon's Current Deal on SG-1 - Complete Series Almost As Good As The Last One!

Amazon's Got a Drop-Dead Deal on HBO's Deadwood!

2 More Amazon Sale Promotions With TV-DVD Titles

Don't Fiddle Around: Amazon's Got a Hot 1-Day Sale For Both Rome Seasons Together! ***GONE!***

Jaw-Dropping Amazon 1-Day Sale: All 3 Seasons - TOGETHER - For Just $30! ***SOLD OUT***

All these in just the past two days. The site is going downhill.
Old 12-16-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by JParks94563
How is a new amazon sale each day "news"? These are advertisements and should be seperate.
12/14-12/16:

Don't Fiddle Around: Amazon's Got a Hot 1-Day Sale For Both Rome Seasons Together! ***GONE!***

Jaw-Dropping Amazon 1-Day Sale: All 3 Seasons - TOGETHER - For Just $30! ***SOLD OUT***

This here very site your on right now was started as a bargains site. Why do you so many people have to give them grief about working in a little click-through traffic to help the site?
Old 12-16-07, 09:03 PM
DrS

Gord and Dave,

First of all thanks for all your times on the forums over the years. You are true fans and experts who give us your time.

Second, I'm not so involved that I know what this move means, but you have more than earned my goodwill and I wish you the best.

Third, please make getting Batman 1966 and Max Headroom part of your new corporate mission!

Best!
Old 12-16-07, 09:23 PM
Banned

12/14-12/16:

This is news whether you like it or not. This is similar to Best Buy, Wal-Mart or any other retailer putting a great sale about any item and being reported in the business or consumer section of a newspaper. Many members, including myself, like seeing those type of deals posted in the news section, since it gives us a reminder of the sale. They are not pop ups or scams, they are just a simple thread where you have tyhe decision to click it or not. As simple as that.
Old 12-16-07, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^
I totally agree. They saved me 36 bucks by posting the king of queens: complete season deal. I would have never found out about the deal and thus never emailed amazon for a refund/adjustment on my previous 179 dollar purchase of the set.

Bottom line, I don't see the big deal. They still post dvd news when they find something out.
Old 12-17-07, 12:09 AM

Advertisements paid by Amazon.com are not news and should be seperate. If tvshowsondvd.com's goal was to find the best deals for the sites visitors then every "news" item ad wouldn't be from amazon.
Old 12-17-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Advertisements paid by Amazon.com are not news and should be seperate. If tvshowsondvd.com's goal was to find the best deals for the sites visitors then every "news" item ad wouldn't be from amazon.
I think its fine. The bargain forum here sometimes doesn't catch every deal going on around the net, so I appreciate Tvshowsondvd letting us know about good buys. Plus, it's not like they are neglecting their dvd news responsibilites for these amazon plugs.

If it bothers you that much then don't go to that site anymore. There are plenty of nice cheese websites out there if you are looking for something to go with your whine.
Old 12-17-07, 10:20 AM
Suspended

imo, tvsodvd.com has gone down hill a bit

i don't mind affiliate links but now it seems like it's three stories of "Amazon is having more sales that related to TV on DVD! click here and buy now!"

then one actual story.. then more shilling

every time i click away from that site now i just feel very 'meh'

never learn anything new about releases or hear news there first. dvdtalk is my main source for info now.

not saying tvsodvd is a BAD site, just not one i have much use for anymore.
Old 12-17-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by An4h0ny
never learn anything new about releases or hear news there first. dvdtalk is my main source for info now.
Keep in mind, quite a bit of the news (like threads announcing a TV on DVD release) originally came from tvshowsondvd.com. You may have heard it here first at the forums, but the OP of that thread (most likely) got the information from tvshowsondvd.com.

I still think tvshowsondvd.com is a great site for TV on DVD related information. Being a big collector of TV shows, I think the site is wonderful.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.