Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD Addiction

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im still addicted but now I wait on most new releases til they reach the $10 range.
Old 06-14-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a little bit addicted -- I think I own around 120 DVDs and have rule that my DVDSpot list cannot grow to over 50 titles. I purged my collection down to 10 DVDs less than a year ago and have gone on a bit of a buying spree to re-collect everything I used to have. Once I get my wishlist close to caught up, I will be at the point of only buying new release titles and re-releases.

Like someone mentioned earlier, I too have to admit a lot of the addiction comes from the thrill of a good deal (stacking coupons, pricing glitches, can't-miss bargains, etc.)

I also try to trade things I no longer want for items on my wishlist to save some cash.
Old 06-14-07, 04:16 PM

i have a dvd, cd, videogame and shoe/clothes addiction. long story short with all my money spent on everything mentioned ive been drug free for 3 years now.
Old 06-14-07, 06:30 PM

I do a decent job of watching the movies I buy, but I have a bad problem of buying concerts and music video collections then never watching them
Old 06-14-07, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know I'm addicted.

Even though I don't blind buy many new releases anymore, I will once the price gets down to around the $7-$8 range, but Netflix has helped me cut down on blind buying. I also told myself awhile back I wouldn't buy anymore TV seasons until I fill all the holes in my collection, but that hasn't worked as well as I hoped.

I also picked up a region free DVD player awhile back which opened up a whole other can of worms.

I think with all the price drops/sales going on, my spending amount hasn't changed much, but the number of DVDs I get are increasing.
I am glad that DVDs are pretty much the only thing I collect now. I used to be big into comics, but it was taking up too much space. DVDs are more manageable.
Old 06-19-07, 07:39 AM

I'm addicted, but at least it's not crack! No, seriously, my budget has DVDs included in it but I usually keep my spending low by buying previously viewed, not buying new releases, etc.
Old 06-19-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've curbed my DVD addiction quite alot over the past years. In the past, I would always buy at least one to several DVD's each release period. Now, I can go several months without buying a disc.

The one addiction I still have, is checking all the DVD websites several times a day.

The first thing I do every morning before I go to work is onto the DVD Talk website. During the day, I will check the talk forums keeping up on all the topics. At the end of the day, the last website I'm at is DVD Talk.
Old 06-19-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From about 1999-2003 I was at my buying peak. I've probably only purchased about 20 in the last two years. My collection stands at about 400.
Old 06-19-07, 01:01 PM

I've toned down my dvd spending a bit in the last 2 years. I actually buy Used instead of renting now. Most of the titles I buy are between $4.99-$7.99. If I like the movie enough I'll keep it, or either trade it back or sell it to a friend. Since I got my 1st dvd player in 1999, dvds have been a strong hobby of mine.
Old 06-19-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Nothing like going into High Def to curb your spending. Not only are the discs way too expensive, you're limited to the movies you can get.
Old 06-19-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am 22 and when I first got my licence and job, I used to take all my money and usually go to best buy or somewhere on the weekend and blow it all. I would buy stuff just to buy stuff. Now with College, and me moving out when i am done with school, I find my self becoming more cheap. I still buy the occasional DVD or HD-DVD. But i dont blind buy anymore and really just use Netflix. I tend to spend my money on going out, clothes, restraunts, books etc.

Even though I slowed down and dont spend like I used to the past few months have been expensive on movies

Matrix trilogy HD-DVD
40 year old virgin hd-dvd
Mullholland dr. Hd-dvd
Planet earth hd-dvd
scrubs season 5
bones season 1 (best buy deal)
Fantastic Four extended edition
Invasion of Astro-Monster
Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster
Old 06-19-07, 03:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
and I just bought the rare OOP 'Puppet Master Box Set'

(100 bucks on the credit card - kaching!)

curse you!... DVD Gods!!

[other orders of the day:
'Basket Case 3 = $10
'The Patriot (ext. cut) BluRay $18 preorder
'The Fifth Element (remastered) BluRay $18 preorder
'Sweet Movie (Criterion)
'WR Mysterious of the Organism (Criterion)
'Animaniacs Vol. 3 (thankfully have a Fye gift card)]

even with HiDef releases and the trying to curtail purchasing on a whim, I feel like I'm buying more than less....

oh well.
Old 06-19-07, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
and I just bought the rare OOP 'Puppet Master Box Set'

(100 bucks on the credit card - kaching!)

curse you!... DVD Gods!!
Oh, damn! I envy you so much about the Puppet Master box!!!
I'm also addicted. And I'm being torn apart - I'm trying to get all the Limited Editions I want while they're still out there, I have a wishlist which contains some older films I want, I want some new releases and fancy packaged re-releases also. When I started, my wishlist had about 200 titles. Now I have about 400 DVDs, but my wishlist did not only NOT become smaller, it's 450 titles! No matter how many I buy, I still add more to the wishlist. I'd like to purchase more, but I can't spend all my money on DVDs... I'm dreaming about times when the whole wishlist is on my shelf and I'm just browsing internet for some new releases weekly.
Old 06-20-07, 01:26 AM

I used to be really bad, but have stopped myself. Really to me now, it's a waste of money - i watch the movies once or twice, and then they all end up on the movie network (on demand services as well)

Throw in the fact i've got sattelite (dishnet), Rogers Cable (with all the movie networks) and a blockbuster/rogers video within walking distance there's very little need for me to go out and buy movies. The only time i buy now is if it's Disney, TV on DVD or something too good to pass up on (i picked up eddie murphy raw a month ago for 7.99 cdn)
Old 06-20-07, 01:45 AM

i enjoy buying DVDs but only if i know i'm getting a really good deal on the dvd. nearly everything in my collection was bought during a sale. if i want something, i'll usually put it on a list and check weekly sales until 1.) it comes up in a weekly sale, or 2.) DDD's 20% off sale rolls around