DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Hard Boiled: 2 Disc Edition (5/22/07) (merged) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/492194-hard-boiled-2-disc-edition-5-22-07-merged.html)

Boba Fett 02-11-07 03:11 AM

Hard Boiled: 2 Disc Edition (5/22/07)

Suprised this has been mentioned yet.
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

I hope that 'Letterboxed' spec is just a placeholder; if this isn't anamorphic I'll be pissed.

I hope they get The Killer released soon as well.

Tarantino 02-11-07 03:19 AM

How many versions are they going to release?

= J

DJariya 02-11-07 03:28 AM

I heard that Dragon Dynasty was adding this to their list. Hope the extras will be good. I know it's pretty much a no-brainer that Bey Logan will be doing commentary on this. But, I would prefer John Woo's commentary from the Criterion release.

TomOpus 02-11-07 03:38 AM

There's already a lengthy thread regarding the Dynasty Dragon line:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....2&page=4&pp=25

zombeaner 02-11-07 11:51 AM

I acutally did mention it about a week ago.

*edit* I guess it was on a different forum...

Julie Walker 02-11-07 01:10 PM

Their listing also says R rated,126 minutes. I know the Weinsteins created an R rated print of The Killer and Hard Boiled years ago to release through Disney. But those never came out after much fan uproar over them being cut(most likely).

So i sure hope if The Protector release is any clue. That this release will contain both the uncut and cut versions. Unless the film passed uncut with an R rating somehow? But I doubt all the bloodshed from the gunfights would survive the MPAA today. Since they're pretty strict on that thing unfortunately.

Rypro 525 02-12-07 12:22 AM

126 is the uncut version. I have the pal region 2 version, and its run time is 122 minutes. For the pal version, the opening of the movie is windowboxed so the full titles can be shown without being cut off on the sides. And I don't notice a difference speed up wise, and i have seen the movie several times over the years.

Julie Walker 02-12-07 08:34 PM

I know 126 minutes is uncut,but it has never been R rated until 2002 when the Weinsteins created an R print for release(that never came out).

If the R rated version were uncut,then it most likely would have been released back then. But there is a good chance is was edited to get an R. And even if the length of the movie was still the same. There is always the chance of digital blood removal coming into play.

So I'd like to know for sure that the film is truly uncensored when it is released. There is a good chance it is,but seeing an "rated R" listing on the website has me cautious. I know Quentin Tarantino wouldn't allow a censored version to be released. So maybe the website was just assuming it was 'r rated' on the website?

Boba Fett 02-13-07 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I know 126 minutes is uncut,but it has never been R rated until 2002 when the Weinsteins created an R print for release(that never came out).

If the R rated version were uncut,then it most likely would have been released back then. But there is a good chance is was edited to get an R. And even if the length of the movie was still the same. There is always the chance of digital blood removal coming into play.

So I'd like to know for sure that the film is truly uncensored when it is released. There is a good chance it is,but seeing an "rated R" listing on the website has me cautious. I know Quentin Tarantino wouldn't allow a censored version to be released. So maybe the website was just assuming it was 'r rated' on the website?

1) All specs are unconfirmed; including rating.
2) Woo threatened legal action if his films were edited to gain an MPAA rating; thats why those edited versions never saw the light of day.

tylergfoster 02-13-07 03:36 PM

I was hoping Dragon Dynasty would get this. Here's to a new remastered anamorphic transfer and excellent bonus features...and The Killer, of course. If I have any regret at all it's that Criterion didn't just repurchase the rights and make these new sets themselves.

Linn1 02-13-07 06:03 PM

Considering they've screwed up the color scheme for both Police Story releases, I don't have high hopes for the quality here. We'll see, but if it's more pink people and blooming reds, no thanks.

y2afromphilly 05-07-07 11:54 PM

Hard Boiled release on may 22nd ?

Hi every one how ya doing. Today i was at suncoast during my lunch break. When i walked in a employee handed me a 2 page handout that has the mother's day madness dvd sets on sale. I was looking through it and i notice they have a hard boiled dvd advertise in the handout. I was looking at the picture and it says the criterion collection but in the bottom of the picture it says genius entertainment, and it says in stores may 22nd 2007. I was wondering is this a new release or a re release. I dont know if this movie was ever released on dvd i know that the killer got release on criterion collection and also a another edition by fox am i correct. Any ways is this a re relase of hardboiled or a first time release.

take care

Linn1 05-07-07 11:59 PM

It's from Dragon Dynasty. And it was released on Criterion BTW.

y2afromphilly 05-08-07 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Linn1
It's from Dragon Dynasty. And it was released on Criterion BTW.

oh aight thanks alot i apreciate it. So is this the same edition from the previous criterion collection. On the cover it says criterion collection. If it is im going to go buy it on the 22nd i hope the movie is not chopped up. I hope its the original version.

cultshock 05-08-07 12:06 AM

It was previously released in the US by Criterion and also by Winstar after that. The Dragon Dynasty edition will be the third US release. Both of the previous versions had issues so I hope the new release will turn out great, as I love the film, but Weinstein/Dragon Dynasty's releases have had mixed results so far.

chris_sc77 05-08-07 12:10 AM

I think the release date is actually July 24 for this actually...
Hopefully The Killer will follow shortly thereafter...

y2afromphilly 05-08-07 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I think the release date is actually July 24 for this actually...
Hopefully The Killer will follow shortly thereafter...

well on the handout it says may22nd i guess we just have to wait and see. Heck i dont mind it being release on july24, july 23rd is my birthday ill ask for a suncoast giftcard. lol

I also hope the killer is release also again i would like to get it on dvd. I seen the killer but i never seen hardboiled.

Josh Z 05-08-07 06:58 AM

Do you still have the handout? Could you scan it for us?

Ethan VanSciver 05-08-07 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by y2afromphilly
well on the handout it says may22nd i guess we just have to wait and see. Heck i dont mind it being release on july24, july 23rd is my birthday ill ask for a suncoast giftcard. lol

I also hope the killer is release also again i would like to get it on dvd. I seen the killer but i never seen hardboiled.

Agreed...if they wanted to make some money, a nice John Woo/Chow Yun Fat boxed set would be beautiful. Killer, A Better Tomorrow, Bullet in the Head, and Hard Boiled. Ka-ching.

y2afromphilly 05-08-07 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Do you still have the handout? Could you scan it for us?

man i wish i could scan it for ya but im on crappy webtv. I wont be getting my new pc in a few weeks. On the front page hand out it has dreams girls and mahogany sparkle dvd shown and an exclusive dream girls t shirt offer for 9.99 in the bottom it has the fighting temptation and standing in the shadows of motown dvd add only 5.99 with purchase of a dvd and it has rent and chicago and grease advertise. As soon when you open the handout in the bottom of the page it has a section that says new to dvd in yellow letters it has these dvds advertise in order.

breaking and entering and the painted veil in stores 5/8/07

stomp the yard and pans labyrinth in stores 5/15/07

arthur and the invinsibles and the fountain instores may/15/07

letters from iwo jima and apocalypto in stores 5/22/07

then next to apocalypto it has the hard boiled dvd cover and the oc the complete fourth season both of them in stores 5/22/07

after that scrubs season five and the good german in stores 5/22/07

finally hannibal rising and blood and chocolate in stores 5/29/07 with the purchase of hannibal rising you get a free dvd offer i dont know which dvd it says see store for details.

im sorry for typing alot dont mean to waste ya time lol i wish i had my pc already and with a scanner to scan the hand out. Maybe on the suncaost website they have it advertised.

take care

tylergfoster 05-08-07 11:23 AM

I love Hard-Boiled. It will be nice to have it in anamorphic.

Ravenous 05-08-07 04:55 PM

So this is really coming out? I havent seen new of this anywhere!

y2afromphilly 05-08-07 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenous
So this is really coming out? I havent seen new of this anywhere!

according to the suncoast handout that i got yesterday it says in stores may22nd. I guess i have to wait and see ill be there on may22nd to see if they have it on sale.

EdTheRipper 05-08-07 08:52 PM

I saw this listed on Amazon with a release date of 7/24.
http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Boiled-Ch...8675503&sr=8-5

tylergfoster 05-08-07 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I saw this listed on Amazon with a release date of 7/24.
http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Boiled-Ch...8675503&sr=8-5

Ugh. That customer who posted an image on that listing is just going to confuse people, because that's a cheapo import that is already available.