Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hard Boiled: 2 Disc Edition (5/22/07) (merged)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Hard Boiled: 2 Disc Edition (5/22/07) (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-07, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wrote up a reivew of the Hard Boiled DD disc as well as a comparison to other DVDs which can be found here.
Old 07-18-07, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the review link, Running Man. But at the bottom, I think you meant "discretion" instead of "desecration."
Old 07-18-07, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know how a new release can come out with an inferior print from another region. Don't these studios communicate with one another?
Old 07-18-07, 06:49 PM

Thanks a lot Green Vulture.

I was editing it a couple of times going back and forth, so I must've missed it in one of my sweeps. Thanks for catching it.

Last edited by The Running Man; 07-18-07 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-18-07, 06:50 PM
Banned

Wow, after reading that review this release looks rather shitty..
The Picure looks very weak and the dubtitles dont sound very promising and there are many extras that are on other releases that sound better then what DD is giving us....
I'll still prob. buy the release though cause I'm a whore....

Why can't R1 do justice to foreign films any more?
Old 07-18-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But worse of all, is that the picture looks stretched. It appears that after the cropping was done, the video restoration team decided to cover the cropping by stretching the image out which makes objects and people like wider than they should be.
The new R1 DVD from Dragon Dynasty delivers a set of subtitles that are actually worse than the Winstar subs. Unlike the Winstar subs, Dragon Dynasty's subs are 100% dubtitles through and through.
Definitely not buying now.
Old 07-18-07, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Running Man
I wrote up a reivew of the Hard Boiled DD disc as well as a comparison to other DVDs which can be found here.

So taking everything together, for the total Hard Boiled experience I'd need the UK Tartan for the best subs and AV quality, the French HK for the documentary, and the Fox/Lorber Winstar for the Woo-Chang commentary.

Tall order, but then this would be far from the first time I've picked up multiple releases to make a truly ultimate collection.
Old 07-18-07, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
I don't care about the criticism of the "dub titles" and picture issues. I like the Dragon Dynasty collection and will definitely pick this up to continue it.
Old 07-18-07, 08:37 PM
Banned

Dubtitles. Fuck.
Old 07-18-07, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD Beaver gives the new DD release a pretty favorable review but they don't really mention the dubtitle issue. They only show one screen cap but it looks a little stretched to my eyes. Look that way to anyone else?
Old 07-18-07, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts
Man! I've been anxiously awaiting this release for the last couple months. I'm becoming pretty discouraged now. Talk about taking the wind out of my sails. Damn it!
Old 07-18-07, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I don't care about the criticism of the "dub titles" and picture issues. I like the Dragon Dynasty collection and will definitely pick this up to continue it.
I love the idea of the Dragon Dynasty collection, but it's incredibly obvious the brothers Weinstein could care less about delivering the best product possible. We could have been given something that would have been the Criterion Collection of Asian cineman in R1. Instead, we're given whatever the Weinstein Co. could patch together from bits someone would license cheap to them and a few new extras that aren't that substantive when viewed close-up (I'm looking at you, RZA).

Last edited by Dr. Forrester; 07-18-07 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-18-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
I like the Dragon Dynasty collection and will definitely pick this up to continue it.
I like the DD collection too, and I think it can do some great things, but I'm not going to blindly support shoddy product like this.
Old 07-18-07, 09:56 PM

The English subtitle track is definitely a dubtitle track? The DVDBeaver review states that there are two English subtitle tracks: one standard English subtitle track and one for the hearing impaired.

I may still have to pick this one up. I own the Tai Seng DVD and the Fox Lorber subtitled VHS.
Old 07-18-07, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Why is anyone surprised by the 'dubtitles'? I've noticed this on various foriegn releases which have English dub options. Lionsgate for example does this all the time if their High Tension and Ju On releases are any indication. In both of those, I noticed a couple moments with subtitles for dialogue that was not there in the original language mix.

I've heard similar issues with the MGM La Femme Nikkita release. So it's not just a DD or 'cheap' distributor thing. But something many companies are doing!
Old 07-18-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by The Running Man
Thanks for the review Running Man.

The picture issue bothers me enough to skip this release. As others have said it stinks because I have been looking forward to the release for a while now.
Old 07-18-07, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The subtitles aren't a big issue to me, and the picture doesn't look too bad. I'm buying this because it's one of the best action movies evah.
Old 07-18-07, 10:26 PM

Also I noticed it's R rated and 126 minutes. There is no digital blood editing going on or anything right? This is the real deal uncut version?

If so,it's amazing the film would not have passed with an R uncut in 1992,but does today.
Old 07-18-07, 10:33 PM

Hard Boiled: 2 DVD Ultimate Edition >>>> $17.99 ****

****Circuit City Exclusive: Receive a Free Strategy guide for the “Stranglehold” video game PLUS a $10 bounce back coupon good towards the purchase of the XBOX 360 dame version
Old 07-18-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
sounds like i should remain content with my Tartan edition for watching the movie and my Criterion for extras. frankly, i'm a little relieved, because i wasn't excited about triple-dipping.
Old 07-19-07, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Also I noticed it's R rated and 126 minutes. There is no digital blood editing going on or anything right? This is the real deal uncut version?

If so,it's amazing the film would not have passed with an R uncut in 1992,but does today.
Is it confirmed R on the packaging? I think DD has released a few films Unrated, so I wouldn't be suprised if this one was too. I think the R might be an assumption at this point considering the content or people have been going off the 2002 MPAA decision, which I believe was based on Buena Vista's edited version of the film, which Woo threatened to sue over.

I can't imagine reviewers familiar with the film missing any edits and so far the two major reviews of this I've read (both of which compared to it multiple releases) have said nothing of this being edited.

I also can't imagine Woo not threatening legal action again if this was an edited release.
Old 07-19-07, 12:43 AM
Banned

It is confirmed to be Rated R...i think for either pervasive violence or intense violence
Check out the box at dvdempire for proof.
Strangely enough Last Hurrah for Chivalry is listed as Unrated.
Old 07-19-07, 12:57 AM

Back cover can be seen here. Though you are correct the rating listed on the filmrating website and mentioned on the packaging is from 2002. But maybe it was uncut then and people assumed it was cut? Or it was cut,and this new release is uncut and they're just using the old 2002 reason? Either way,the word is this release is uncut. Which is all that matters to me.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...or=1#topoftabs
Old 07-19-07, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After reading Gary's review (I own the Criterion version and have no plans to go region free), I'm further undecided as to buying this Dragon Dynasty release...argh...
Old 07-19-07, 03:44 AM

Well,

cropping and stretching the film is it. I didn't support it when HKL did it, and I don't support it now. It's a lazy way to do a film. Since I actually care about the film and not the label it's on, I'll look for the best version.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.