DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   DVD Menus that spoil part of the movie. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/491940-dvd-menus-spoil-part-movie.html)

Duh Vuh Duh 02-08-07 10:46 AM

DVD Menus that spoil part of the movie.

Ok, I know I'm really late to the party here, but I bought Platoon 20th AE dvd as a blind buy at one of the black friday sales and as I watched it yesterday noticed that the DVD menu spoils part of the movie. It shows the scene where:

Spoiler:
Willem Dafoe's character gets killed.

Now obviously this is also kind of spoiled by the cover of the dvd, but on the cover it's not obvious who the character is, especially if you've never seen the movie.

I know now with most dvds that have dynamic menus, they show some of the scenes from the movies, but just found this one to reveal a bit more than I wanted to see right of the bat.

So, wanted to know what other dvds you guys have found where the menu spoils part of the movie? I know the only way you would be spoiled by the dvd menu is if the dvd was a blind buy, so assume the dvd would be a blind buy.

Richard Malloy 02-08-07 11:02 AM

There's a huge spoiler on the main menu page of KINO's dvd of Andrei Zvyagintsev's fantastic first film, "THE RETURN" (2003) (the Russian film about the two kids and the return of their long absent father, not that Sarah Michelle Gellar flick of the same name). If you, erm, return to the main menu page while watching the film (or linger on the details too long before starting the film), it's likely to give away one of the key moments and turning points of the story. In fact, if you look at the DVD cover and then at the Main Menu screen, it's fairly easy to put 2-and-2 together. You may not quite know how that particular character ends up in that particular condition, but you'll know that he does. And that's quite a spoiler.

Also, a somewhat lesser spoiler on the dvd cover of Anchor Bay's release of Herzog's "AGUIRRE: THE WRATH OF GOD".

Dr. Phibes 02-08-07 12:16 PM

I remember the Blue Underground DVD of The Prowler, they show 4 or 5 death scenes before the menu even comes up. It happens in about 4 seconds and there's no way to skip it. There's not even time to look away real quick. I know it's a slasher movie and all, you can assume most of the people will be dead by the end, but isn't seeing it part of the fun? Not sure why they did that.

nodeerforamonth 02-08-07 12:26 PM

Practically every single menu on any of the Buffy The Vampire Slayer DVDs.

freudian-slip 02-08-07 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Practically every single menu on any of the Buffy The Vampire Slayer DVDs.

I was just about to mention that one! I bought the complete Buffy set during a DDD sale and had never seen the show before. Every stinkin' menu has a visual AND audio spoiler, it seems! Thanks alot!

Mondo Kane 02-08-07 12:45 PM

I didn't see it, but I heard an early release of Usual Suspects showed who Keyser Soze was in the menu.

Michael Corvin 02-08-07 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Practically every single menu on any of the 24 DVDs.

fixed. ;)

islandclaws 02-08-07 01:24 PM

Subversive's DVD for The Candy Snatchers practically shows the entire film in 30 seconds before the main menu hits, essentially spoiling all of the films twists and ending.

Randy Miller III 02-08-07 01:25 PM

The episode menus of <i>Six Feet Under</i> give detailed plot recaps to the right of "play episode".
If you squint, you're home free.

matome 02-08-07 04:00 PM

The Dead Zone (TV) also forces you to a scene selection menu with screencaps before you can play it.

Kocheese99 02-08-07 04:44 PM

The Amazing Race and Survivor seasons are notorious for putting the people who are eliminated on the menus and discs. That gets annoying really fast.

tylergfoster 02-08-07 04:46 PM

Barton Fink.

tsohg 02-08-07 06:25 PM

Sopranos Season 2 menus pretty much spoil
Spoiler:
Tony and crew killing Big Pussy

dugan 02-08-07 07:24 PM

We're on the 14th post and no-one's mentioned The Matrix yet?

madcougar 02-08-07 11:52 PM

I honestly hated the Sixth Sense menu screen where
Spoiler:
Bruce Willis looks at his hands and says "I've been a ghost this whole time!"
I don't even remember that scene in the movie and it kind of ruins the surprise.

eatntae 02-09-07 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
fixed. ;)

I just started watching 24, and I've been racing through the seasons. I've learned to just keep hitting the enter button on my dvd remote while not looking at the screen. What sucks is that its not necessarily a scene that they ruin, but the fact that a character shows up on that particular disc/season.

Michael Corvin 02-09-07 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by eatntae
I just started watching 24, and I've been racing through the seasons. I've learned to just keep hitting the enter button on my dvd remote while not looking at the screen. What sucks is that its not necessarily a scene that they ruin, but the fact that a character shows up on that particular disc/season.

Yep.

Trevor 02-09-07 08:04 AM

Has anyone ever heard someone involved in the production of dvds explain why they do this crap?

areacode212 02-09-07 08:20 AM

In the early days of TV-on-DVD, I figured it was because the menu makers didn't consider that people would blind buy them (even here, I remember scores of "why would you <I>blind buy</I> a TV show??" posts). I'm pretty surprised to hear that they still pull this on both movie and TV DVDs, though.

Trevor 02-09-07 08:37 AM

That would still piss me off. Just because we've seen the movie/show, it is ok to shout out the surprise/twist?

Maybe it is just a pet peeve of mine, but even if I am very familiar with a movie, I hate it when someone gives away an ending. When I watch something, I put myself in a mode where I try to forget everything I know about the plot, especially the ending.

[slight sarcasm on] If I'm watching The Empire Strikes Back, and a fellow movie watcher says something like,
Spoiler:
"Luke, I am you father"
, I would likely kill them, and go to jail feeling justified. [slight sarcasm off]

matome 02-09-07 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by madcougar
I honestly hated the Sixth Sense menu screen where
Spoiler:
Bruce Willis looks at his hands and says "I've been a ghost this whole time!"
I don't even remember that scene in the movie and it kind of ruins the surprise.

:lol:

kingtopher 02-09-07 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Barton Fink.

I just rewatched this the other day and was surprised when I saw the menu. Huge spoiler.

Identify 02-09-07 09:06 AM

Star Trek Voyager:

I wonder if they make it back to Earth?
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Eliminator 02-09-07 09:12 AM

^ rotfl

Lecithin 02-09-07 09:14 AM

How about that Citizen Kane menu with a big sled on it?