DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Janeane Garofalo 1997 HBO Standup Comedy Special. Will it get released this year? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/491479-janeane-garofalo-1997-hbo-standup-comedy-special-will-get-released-year.html)

JasonTHX 02-03-07 01:05 PM

Janeane Garofalo 1997 HBO Standup Comedy Special. Will it get released this year?

2007 will be the 10th anniversary of this HBO special. I hope HBO decides to release a DVD of it with some extras of course. I wouldn't mind additional Stand-up material, or a recent interview with Garofalo. I don't know if studio employess read this site but I'd just like to put the title out for possible consideration.

DVD Josh 02-03-07 06:17 PM

The "I Passed on Friends" Edition.

Mike Adams 02-03-07 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
The "I Passed on Friends" Edition.

Did she really pass, or did they pass on her? Anyway, I can't throw stones, because I never thought it was gonna be a hit, and part of that was confusing Matthew Perry with the guy who was in <i>Jennifer Slept Here</i>. I figured it was just TV has-beens, but it turned out to be one of my favorite shows.

Anyway, back on topic, I wasn't aware of the '97 special, but it'd be great to see on DVD. I still need to pick up <i>Sweet Hearts</i> one day, but I'll have to order it since none of my local retailers carry it.

I also recommend <i>When Stand-Up Stood Out</i>, which includes brief clips of Janeane.

digitalfreaknyc 02-03-07 09:34 PM

I know some artists will release the specials on their own web pages. I believe Richard Jeni did that.

JasonTHX 02-04-07 02:55 PM

Janeane Garofalo has claimed to not be very Internet savvy but she does have e-mail. So who knows? From what I can tell Garofalo was tapped to play Monica on "Friends" but Courtney hit big with Ace Ventura that year. The rest is history. She was also up for the Renee Zellweger part in "Jerry Maguire"

As you can tell I'm a big JF fan. I remember the special airing in september 1997, and seeing it on Comedy Central or something. Most memorable were her comments on "Chasing Amy".

Perhaps the comedy Central people could release something. They've released Denis leary stuff and all those roasts on DVD. Most memorable were her comments on "Chasing Amy".

Oh well. I guess she'll be featured on the upcoming Larry Sanders set.

digitalfreaknyc 02-04-07 03:00 PM

I saw her do a set here in NYC a few years ago. She was godawful. The opening act put her to shame. She read everything off of cards...and completely ruined the flow of her set.

On the other hand, I've seen her on TV and thought she was a bit funny. But that experience really soured me.

Mike Adams 02-04-07 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I know some artists will release the specials on their own web pages. I believe Richard Jeni did that.

Steven Wright did that, although I bought the DVD of his 1985 special at his show, but you should be able to get it on his website. The same is true of Gallagher, although he finally got a class outfit to release his. Until recently, both guys were offering very bare-bones, warts-and-all transfers on pretty cheap-looking discs.

Mike Adams 02-04-07 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by JasonTHX
Most memorable were her comments on "Chasing Amy".

What'd she say? I haven't seen the special, and if I heard her comment on it in another appearance, I've forgotten.