Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Opinion on Used DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-07, 10:03 PM
Bye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Okay, Mike, to say nothing of the bald-faced lie you are committing by saying you have expressed no hostility toward me while continuing to do just the opposite, you are now in violation of nemein's request to all of us, so I will now be reporting you. Take care, friend.
Dude, you haven't even begun to see hostility from me -- I refuse to stoop to your level, and I'm confident that the mods recognize that. Pardon me for being a bit incredulous when someone wraps up a multi-post tirade by making a sweeping generalization based upon his own personal experience.

What's wrong with this thread is that people like you have taken a perfectly innocent request for people's opinion and started arguing about who is right and who is wrong. It's about preference, not what is the "best" policy regarding used DVDs.
Old 02-04-07, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will usually buy dvds that I don't consider collector's items used at my local Hastings. They usually have good deals on PVD, buy 1 get 1 for .01 or buy 2 get one free or whatever and it usually comes out to around $6 a movie.

I rarely buy new releases when they come out anymore. I usually wait until well after the movie has come out and either buy a used copy or wait until some exceptional deals appear (i.e. the GCO deal).

I for one am on a budget and can not afford to buy all new dvds.
Old 02-04-07, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've bought a ton of used DVDs, they really save you money. It's basically the same thing, why not save a few bucks?
Old 02-04-07, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Abe.
I've bought a ton of used DVDs, they really save you money. It's basically the same thing, why not save a few bucks?
Because buying used is comparable to playing Russian roulette.

You may win it a few times, but your luck will run out one day.
Old 02-04-07, 11:39 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy

Of course, you'll have saved hundreds of dollars in that time, so it'll still work out to a deal, big time.

I personally swing both ways, I buy used as much as possible and use my savings to buy more stuff. It doesn't make any sense not to buy a good conditioned used DVD. Everyone brags that DVDs don't degrade, so there really shouldn't be an issue. Every new DVD you buy, the second you open it up, it's considered used. I really don't care what people do, but used as much as possible is the way to go. Movie Gallery always has the buy 2 get 2 free sale one and flicks come out a month after release on it, it makes no sense for me to spend $32 on a new release when I could get 4 the month after it comes out for $45.
Old 02-04-07, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy

The same applies to buying new... so are you going to stop buying DVD's altogether?

The recent re-releases of Superman 1 & 3

Dead Zone seasons 2 and 3

Back to the Future

Boston Legal season 2

Those are just 6 examples off the top of my head where there was a wide-spread problem of a brand new DVD having a defect. I'm sure there are many many more.

If you are an educated consumer, then your odds of getting a faulty new product and your odds of getting a faulty used product are about the same. Now if there's no store in your area with good standards that's one thing... but any reputable store will let you inspect the item before buying and will give you a certain period of time to return it if there's a defect.

To once again bring my store up as an example, I inspect the disc closely, then I hold it out for the customer to inspect and approve. Then they get a 30 day guarantee (that way they don't have to rush right home and watch it). Since September of 04 I've sold a lot of DVDs. Easily over $100k worth. Out of all those titles, I've had maybe 6 come back, and 2 of those were because of manufacturer defects.

As for my personal collection - out of about 1250 titles in my collection, many of them purchased used, I have had all of the problem discs listed above with the exception of Boston Legal. On the other hand, I have had ONE problem with a used disc, and that was Metallica's S&M, which was rejected by my player as an improper region disc despite being labeled as region 1.

If you don't like buying used, then that's your thing... but at least have some sort of logical reason behind it.

Last edited by MovieExchange; 02-04-07 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-05-07, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've bought, I'd say, at least 20% (around 150) of my discs used, maybe more, and I've only had one that had any issue, it skipped. I think that's pretty good.
Old 02-05-07, 12:51 AM

I just bought Season One of Melrose Place USED.

However, I am finding the drama in this thread far more entertaining.
Old 02-05-07, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I'll buy used discs. That goes for used cds as well. I don't really care who has used it before, as long as it works. Money saved is money saved.
Old 02-05-07, 05:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Adams
Dude, you haven't even begun to see hostility from me -- I refuse to stoop to your level, and I'm confident that the mods recognize that. Pardon me for being a bit incredulous when someone wraps up a multi-post tirade by making a sweeping generalization based upon his own personal experience.

What's wrong with this thread is that people like you have taken a perfectly innocent request for people's opinion and started arguing about who is right and who is wrong. It's about preference, not what is the "best" policy regarding used DVDs.

Mod note: Dude, you were already asked to drop this "subtopic".

ANY FUTHER POSTS FROM ANYONE THAT IS NOT DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE TOPIC, OR MORE TO THE POINT THAT FOCUS MORE ON ANOTHER POSTER, WILL BE REMOVED AND POSSIBLY LEAD TO FUTHER DISCIPLINARY ACTION.

I don't care who thinks they still have to get in the final work/"explaination" for their actions, it all stops now.

Last edited by nemein; 02-05-07 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-05-07, 06:29 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
If you don't like buying used, then that's your thing... but at least have some sort of logical reason behind it.
That may be a problem, because there is little logic behind it (and I can say that, as a buyer of new DVDs only)--it is an emotional appeal, an intangible peace of mind, perhaps just born out of knowing the full history of the DVD and its life (at least from initial purchase point onward). It isn't rational but there is something profoundly comforting it knowing our DVDs are truly our own. And I must make the case one more time: those of you who purchase used DVDs fundamentally need those of us who don't, or you'd never have product--somebody's gotta make that first, factory-sealed purchase. Similarly, us buyers of new product need those of you who buy used because what else would we do with discs we no longer want? It's funny that there's been so much dissention in this thread when the reality is, we're symbiotic with one another as consumers. We don't have to understand the other side's point-of-view on this; let's just be thankful that the other side exists.
Old 02-05-07, 06:42 AM

Bottom line on buying anything used: Only buy from a store that has a good return policy. Almost every disk I own has been purchased used. If you purchase from a B&M, just open the package immediately after leaving the store, and if it is missing an insert or is heavily scratched, walk it right back in. No store will verify that each used disk that comes in can be played and they usually don't know what the inserts/extra items should be, so anytime this has happened to me, I will take it back in immediately and ask for a refund. They should have a level of confidence that you aren't trying to rip them off (since you came right back in), and I've never had a problem. Buying used stuff online is a different story...
Old 02-05-07, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
What do you guys consider DVDs still in the shrinkwrap bought on half.com, or eBay, etc.....new or used?
Old 02-05-07, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I only bought used. Theonly new ones I got were for CHristmas or birthday presents. Once I exceeded 1000, I had to stop buying and now just rent.
Old 02-05-07, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
What do you guys consider DVDs still in the shrinkwrap bought on half.com, or eBay, etc.....new or used?
used
Old 02-05-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
NEW! From my experience buying sealed stuff on those sites, it's been just as good as "new" items amazon, columbia house, etc, etc, etc. You just have to make sure you are not buying an import or bootleg sometimes.
Old 02-05-07, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And I must make the case one more time: those of you who purchase used DVDs fundamentally need those of us who don't, or you'd never have product--somebody's gotta make that first, factory-sealed purchase.
I don't need you. I just need the crack heads that show up at Game Stop or EB every Tuesday with a freshly stolen batch of new releases!
Old 02-05-07, 10:24 AM

I buy a lot of used DVDs. I have never had a problem with any of them. I clean them all when I get them and even those with minor scratches play just fine. I have bought several new DVDs that have had problems with skipping, so I don't buy into the new = problem free logic.

I mostly enjoy movies that are not mainstream, foreign films, etc., which inevitably means that the ones I am wanting to buy usually cost more and rarely or very slowly decline in price. I can get movies that range from $20-29.00 for less than $5, and because they aren't enjoyed by the masses are usually in new to very gently used condition.

I also buy used because I am able to get OOP movies. I just picked up Ponette this weekend for $3.99 at Hastings. It looks brand new, complete with inserts, etc. It is OOP and going for much more elsewhere.

I also have gotten many, many movies (2-disk special widescreen editions) that are still going new for $15.00 and up for just over $2.00 at Game Stop and pawn shops. All have the inserts and look pretty much new. I also buy used on half.com and amazon if I really want something I can't find elsewhere. I have yet to be disappointed.

I guess it also depends on the reasons why you collect. I collect movies I enjoy watching, and I collect them to watch them, not to admire their beauty on the shelf.
Old 02-05-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
If we're using the "defect" argument, the only problems I can think of off the top of my head were all bought new. Fellowship of the Ring theatrical -hangs up at the layer change, Hitchhiker's Guide move - hangs up at layer change, Star Wars ANH - skipping issue. All were bought new, and had these issues.

Mod note: question removed since Filmmaker can't answer

Last edited by nemein; 02-05-07 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-05-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
I don't need you. I just need the crack heads that show up at Game Stop or EB every Tuesday with a freshly stolen batch of new releases!

Word.
Old 02-05-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Agreed the 'new = flaw free' logic does'nt always work because you get broken hubs and loose discs and things of the like, but you can at least exchange it for one that's probably going to be flawless. That's my problem, as I've stated. I need perfection. I need a scratch free DVD or it'll bother me. I mean, discs with a scratch can play fine in some players, and bad in others. What happens when I'll need a new DVD player down the road or I take a disc to a friends house and it skips, what then? I'm just more comfortable knowing that down the road, I'll have no problems. My money pays for a new disc, so I expect it to be in pristine condition.

I know the prior fuss has been taken care of, but I just have to say I didn't understand any of it. I mean, who cares if people prefer used or not. Used discs save people money, and for those who can deal with a scuffed disc that plays fine... all the power to 'em. Heck, there's certain Hollywood Video's or other places you can pay like, a dollar a disc (if they even charge you) that will burn a layer of the plastic off for you so the scuffs are gone. Wallah, used DVD's are then like new anyways for just an extra buck, and you still save quite a penny. I'm very tempted to take advantage of deals like the '5 for $25' when I see them at Hollywood Video or places of the like. My non-patience for flawed DVD's though, keep me from going for it. But here's a 'hells yeah' to the rest of you! As been said, that's money for the bills you're saving!
Old 02-06-07, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by zombeaner
I buy lots of used DVDs. In fact, here is a MAJOR score I caught at Blockbuster today:

Alfred Hitchcock's Rebecca - Anchor Bay OOP Currently going for around $100.
The Lady Vanishes - Criterion Collection
Lord Of The Flies - Criterion Collection
The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie - Criterion Collection
Bus 174
Maria Full Of Grace
The Celluloid Closet

For a grand total of $40. That price for two of those Criterion discs would have been a good deal.
Damn, killer deal! How did you get all that for $40?
Old 02-06-07, 04:13 PM

I'd say 10-15% of my dvds are used. I'm anal about the condition of them so that's why. Also some people will say a dvd is in near mint or excellent condition and when you receive them they aren't. I'd buy a lot more if I could inspect them upfront.
Old 02-06-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts
What a heated debate this turned into.

I have no problems with used discs. About 20% of my collection is "previously loved" and I've never had a problem with a single disc. I've gotten some great deals, I like the more obscure stuff, and usually stores have never heard of those titles, so they just sell them for 5 bucks or so. (that plus some ex-rentals I buy are also obscure titles, so those discs look like they were never even rented out). I guess the only issue is that if I try to sell them someday, it may be a bit more difficult to do if a disc has scratches on it (not from me!)
Old 02-06-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What, are you from the fuckin' 1600s?

I'm not even sure what that means

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.