Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Garry Shandling talks about the upcoming "Best of Larry Sanders" 4-disc set

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Garry Shandling talks about the upcoming "Best of Larry Sanders" 4-disc set

Old 02-05-07, 08:28 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 13,757
Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
DDD lists "The Larry Sanders Show - 1st Season" as an April 14 release, as well as the "Not Just the Best of..."

What's up with that?
Old 02-05-07, 08:37 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 21,075
Received 243 Likes on 197 Posts
probably being re-issued at a lower price
Old 02-05-07, 08:40 PM
  #28  
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,001
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazon has a listing for it as well:

Larry Sanders Show: Complete 1st Season - April 17, 2007 - $27.99

Last edited by sb5; 02-05-07 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-05-07, 08:42 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 13,757
Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Is $30 a reduction? I never thought much about it previously because I heard the quality was quite poor and the fact that there wasn't much chance of subsequent seasons.
Old 02-05-07, 09:11 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 21,075
Received 243 Likes on 197 Posts
funnily enough, cheaper at amazon the dddvd.com
Old 02-05-07, 09:49 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
dolphinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,056
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
What a horrible way to go through life though - never appreciating anything, because it could always be better - relationships, food, homes, etc. Does owning a 2,500 square-foot home bum you out because it's not 5,000 square-feet? Same principle.
Yeah, I can see how my feelings towards The Gary Shandling show's dvd release relates towards my feeling on relationships, food, homes, or life in general.
Old 02-06-07, 01:48 AM
  #32  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Bronx, New York
Posts: 145
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Is $30 a reduction? I never thought much about it previously because I heard the quality was quite poor and the fact that there wasn't much chance of subsequent seasons.
Yes the quality of the 1st release is horrible...no real extras.
I think every review from back then pointed this out and it was overpriced just like most HBO DVD's. This must have killed the sales..I waited 2 years before getting it cheap, Ebay I think.
I just finished watching it again and I hope they worked to clean up season 1 with the re-release. I'll buy the new set and re-buy season 1 if they improved it.
Old 02-06-07, 09:08 AM
  #33  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 13,757
Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobou2
Yes the quality of the 1st release is horrible...no real extras.
I think every review from back then pointed this out and it was overpriced just like most HBO DVD's. This must have killed the sales..I waited 2 years before getting it cheap, Ebay I think.
I just finished watching it again and I hope they worked to clean up season 1 with the re-release. I'll buy the new set and re-buy season 1 if they improved it.
That's what I was thiking. With the "Best of..." set containing only three first season episodes, there isn't that much overlap, and the character groundwork gets better laid out for later season episodes. With both sets, that covers 33 of the 90 and change total episodes, plus the extras on the "Best of..." set.

I was really hoping for full season sets since I was always hit or miss seeing these shows with never having HBO during its original airing. I'd catch the occasional episodes in hotels or whatnot. Maybe if these sell well -- in particular the Season 1 set at the lower/reasonable price point -- there's a shot at season 2 and more. It can't be all that difficult to put together some bare-bones sets and let the "Best of..." set essentially stand alone as the "extras" package.
Old 02-06-07, 10:00 AM
  #34  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 42,956
Received 298 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Yeah, I can see how my feelings towards The Gary Shandling show's dvd release relates towards my feeling on relationships, food, homes, or life in general.
Okay, then let me ask you this: If that sort of mentality doesn't bother you in the more important things in life, why do you let it bother you with such an unimportant thing as a TV show?
Old 02-06-07, 02:01 PM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 593
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Adams
I've been over this before, but it really tickles me how people complain about getting a "best-of" and claim they won't buy anything if it's not the complete series. Unless you're sitting on a full set of high-quality bootlegs, if you don't buy what's offered, you get absolutely zero, which in this case is 23 episodes and 8 hours of bonus content LESS than what you'd have if you actually bought that "part of a TV show" you're all complaining about.

I know a lot of people think they're "voting with their money", but what they don't realize is that the only way you can vote "YES" on future season sets with your money is to actually BUY what is offered. When you refuse to buy something, for whatever reason, you're casting the same vote as the people who don't buy it because they don't like the show. In other words, you are casting yet another vote for "no interest", whether that's your intention or not.

Yes, I'm sure a lot of you are thinking that the "one-two punch" of refusing to buy anything less than full season sets and then e-mailing the studio or posting on blogs, forums, or anywhere else that the "real" fans demand season sets will actually work, but no matter how much internet "buzz" there is about a show, if it doesn't show up in the sales numbers, it won't make a damn bit of difference. Studios are very used to being told over and over again how "hot" a particular title is, and hearing from fans how much they absolutely MUST have that title on DVD, and then when they actually release something, many of those fans don't buy it, either because they can't afford it, they simply rent it and realize it's not as wonderful as they'd remembered, or they simply download DVD rips or rent 'n' burn themselves.

So, my advice to anyone who claims to be such a big fan of this or any other show is to buy everything the studio releases, because even if they've already released a couple of "best of" compilations, if they sell well enough, you can bet the studio will want to take more of your money, and no season set is too expensive to make if you've already got the material and you've got sales figures to back up any claim as to the level of interest. The only thing you'll achieve by refusing to buy something because it isn't exactly what you wanted is that not only will you never get what you DO want, you'll have to do without what you are being offered. In other words, if you really want pizza, eat your meatloaf -- it may get you pizza tomorrow night, but simply refusing to eat anything but pizza will not only mean you WON'T get pizza tomorrow, but you'll also go to bed hungry tonight.
Your argument reminds me of the Bush administration. "If you attack the Iraq war then you don't support the troops and give hope to the terrorists."

Buy the crap you don't really want now and MAYBE, just maybe you'll give us your money all over again for some of the same stuff.

There is no logic there my friend.

I wonder how much money was spent on producing the supplements for this "best of" set and how that money could have been used towards simply making a "complete second season?"

I've always thought that "The Larry Sanders Show" was ahead of its time and the DVD release of the first season, the same. Obviously there are similarities between this show and "The Office," "Extras," etc and I believe, if given a chance, America could re-discover "Sanders." As some have pointed out, the original release of the first season was grossly overpriced for a product that very little was put into by the studio and with the show being ahead of its time, it's no wonder it didn't sell like hot cakes. Now with similar shows doing very well, the studio should capitalize.

HBO can start (as someone else suggested) by putting the show "On Demand" so it can gain some exposure and interest and let it build from there. Market it towards the folks who watch "The Office" and so on. Build from that and put out a second season (and wisely re-price the first season.)

The "demand" for best of TV sets is minimal to say the least. The majority of consumers now demand (and are used to) complete season sets not bits from here and there. I do not see how this package for "Larry Sanders" will do any good.
Old 02-06-07, 02:45 PM
  #36  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 146
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you dont buy this the rest will never come out. If the sales are poor that will kill the show on dvd or any other format for years and years. Anyone who does not think that is nuts as you only have to look at other shows on dvd to see that is the case.

Oh and 8hrs of extras is not crap if you are a big fan of any show. You are not that big of a fan.

No company is going to release season 2 with the shit sales season 1 got. They would have to be crazy and that was NEVER going to happen.
Old 02-06-07, 03:58 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
dolphinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,056
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Allred
Your argument reminds me of the Bush administration. "If you attack the Iraq war then you don't support the troops and give hope to the terrorists."

Buy the crap you don't really want now and MAYBE, just maybe you'll give us your money all over again for some of the same stuff.

There is no logic there my friend.

I wonder how much money was spent on producing the supplements for this "best of" set and how that money could have been used towards simply making a "complete second season?"

I've always thought that "The Larry Sanders Show" was ahead of its time and the DVD release of the first season, the same. Obviously there are similarities between this show and "The Office," "Extras," etc and I believe, if given a chance, America could re-discover "Sanders." As some have pointed out, the original release of the first season was grossly overpriced for a product that very little was put into by the studio and with the show being ahead of its time, it's no wonder it didn't sell like hot cakes. Now with similar shows doing very well, the studio should capitalize.

HBO can start (as someone else suggested) by putting the show "On Demand" so it can gain some exposure and interest and let it build from there. Market it towards the folks who watch "The Office" and so on. Build from that and put out a second season (and wisely re-price the first season.)

The "demand" for best of TV sets is minimal to say the least. The majority of consumers now demand (and are used to) complete season sets not bits from here and there. I do not see how this package for "Larry Sanders" will do any good.
This is the point of view that I share.
Old 02-15-07, 12:29 PM
  #38  
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,967
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the DVDTalk review of the first release of the first season: "It's very likely that these discs really represent the best that this early season can realistically look. Not much of a leap beyond the usual expectations for a low-budget, full-frame cable series, but these discs certainly appear acceptable."

Unless some significant clean-up was done, the re-release won't look great either. Then again, Gary Shandling has never gotten by on his looks.
Old 02-15-07, 05:14 PM
  #39  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,181
Received 362 Likes on 251 Posts
As much as I would hate to potentially double dip, I'll buy this best of collection.

I've waited years for the rest of the series and will gladly settle for this to tide me over.
Old 02-15-07, 07:17 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
dolphinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,056
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrE
Then again, Gary Shandling has never gotten by on his looks.
If David Duchovny is attracted to him, he has to be hot!
Old 03-24-07, 10:27 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 42,956
Received 298 Likes on 211 Posts
hmm...
So if they're re-releasing the complete first season on the same day as the best-of collection, is it possible that they'll release subsequent seasons later if it sells well?
Old 03-25-07, 02:36 AM
  #42  
DVD Talk Legend
 
calhoun07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 14,402
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slop101
hmm...
So if they're re-releasing the complete first season on the same day as the best-of collection, is it possible that they'll release subsequent seasons later if it sells well?
Here's hoping! I bet if the sales are good enough....the question is what kind of sales are they looking for? Are they looking for Friends/Seinfeld type numbers or more like Bosom Buddies type numbers?
Old 03-25-07, 12:03 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
tylergfoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,540
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or perhaps they're going to compare the sales of Season One to the sales of Not Quite The Best Of...
Old 03-25-07, 02:25 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 11.5 Miles from the Strip
Posts: 2,353
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I destest "Best of"s and avoud them at all costs in general, EXCEPT, that it does seem that this is all we are going to get, and at least Shandling put a lot of effort into making this a well supplemented Best of collection.

Due to the supplements, and the high probability of no additional season sets, I will be purchasing this set. If full season sets (or even a complete series boxed set) ever do come out, I will of course buy them as well, for for this particular case, I will take what I can get.
Old 04-17-07, 12:47 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 42,956
Received 298 Likes on 211 Posts
Wow. The re-release of the first season (13 episodes, no extras), is only about $5 less than this new collection of 23 episodes, loaded with extras. It's like they don't want people to buy season sets...
Old 04-17-07, 02:02 PM
  #46  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 146
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have they taken off the interview with shandling from the 1st issue of the 1st season ?

That would count as an extra.
Old 04-17-07, 05:40 PM
  #47  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 45,665
Received 493 Likes on 434 Posts
i can't access the article, but why exactly won't they release the full seasons?
Old 04-17-07, 09:00 PM
  #48  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 890
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would love season sets of this and arliss.... I would never buy a best of collection of any show.
Old 04-17-07, 09:37 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 42,956
Received 298 Likes on 211 Posts
Been going through some of the extras, and I have say, they're good - really good. Interesting and insightful. They're the kind of extras you buy a dvd package for - remember that? Because outside of a few Criterions, dvd extras have been really slipping the last few years. You just don't see people talk so candidly, ever. The boxing match with Baldwin alone is worth it.
Old 05-31-07, 12:25 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
CharlieK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,249
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watching Shandling interviewing Alec Baldwin while they're boxing (!!) was so incredibly bizarre. It wasn't really funny, but it was fascinating to see.

The plot of the episode Baldwin was on revolved around Shandling's ex-wife, so of course their conversation turned to divorce. In light of Baldwin's rage during that phone tirade to his daughter some of his comments in this interview were interesting. At one point he jokingly asks to get his ex-wife's lawyer on speakerphone to fire him up to beat Shandling's ass.

I saw a clip of Shandling talking to Seinfeld on a park bench. If a lot of the bonus material is like this, I'm going to be very pleased. Different, but still very engaging.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.