DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The Natural (1984) Barry Levinson's DC 04.03.07 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/490557-natural-1984-barry-levinsons-dc-04-03-07-a.html)

Cameron 01-24-07 07:55 PM

The Natural (1984) Barry Levinson's DC 04.03.07

Cue your home run music...

From HTF

Originally Posted by John Hodson
A two-disc 'Directors Cut' of Barry Levinson's The Natural is coming from Sony April 3, according to the Sony website here - no other detail I'm afraid, but I rejoice at the news.

Originally Posted by TonyD
"This two-disc set contains a new color mastering of the 1984 film. Bonuses: previously unreleased footage, featurettes, video introduction by director Barry Levinson, making-of documentary. "

As pointed out over at HTF, Barry Levinson recut bugsy for sony and now seems to be doing the same for the Natural. Not sure if the original cut will stick around, so completist hold on a bit.

Al_Tahoe 01-24-07 08:12 PM

Yeah, baby! :banana:

gutwrencher 01-24-07 08:36 PM

Thanks for that welcome heads-up. Interesting. We will have to see how this plays out. I'm all for it...if done right.

On a side-note....I've been LOVING the HD airing. I think I've watched it the last 4 times. It's a personal fave.:thumbsup:

TheNightFlier 01-25-07 09:31 AM

One of my favorites, bought the first release awhile ago. Glad to see this is getting a nice treatment finally.

Geofferson 01-25-07 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by gutwrencher
On a side-note....I've been LOVING the HD airing. I think I've watched it the last 4 times. It's a personal fave.:thumbsup:

I've caught it a few times as well. ;)

I'm very curious how this DC will play out -- will definitely pick it up.

Cameron 01-25-07 07:01 PM

yah, i just wonder how much footage was sitting around to add to and recut

from the other thread...

Originally Posted by Patrick Mirza
Details are now up for a new two-disc The Natural: Director's Cut from Sony Pictures.

Cameron 01-31-07 08:45 PM

Academy Award®-Winning Director Barry Levinson
Adds 15 Minutes of Never-Before-Seen Footage to
One of the Most Beloved Sports Movies Ever Filmed

THE NATURAL: DIRECTOR’S CUT

10 BONUS FEATURETTES INCLUDE ALL-NEW INTERVIEWS
WITH ROBERT REDFORD AND GLENN CLOSE

~ Two-Disc DVD Debuts April 3 ~

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (January 22, 2007) – Director Barry Levinson restores 15 minutes of never-before-seen footage for The Natural: Director’s Cut, debuting on DVD April 3 in a two-disc collector’s set from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. "I was able to not just simply add a few more scenes to the Director's Cut, but to actually re-cut the first act as it was originally conceived,” said Levinson. “This version is much closer to what I envisioned and it was fantastic to finally bring it to fruition."

The critically-acclaimed, international box-office hit also has new color mastering by the Oscar® nominated Director of Photography Caleb Deschanel. The film, starring Robert Redford, was nominated for numerous awards, including four Academy Award® nominations: Best Supporting Actress (Glenn Close), Best Cinematography, Best Original Score and Best Art Direction, as well as a Golden Globe® nomination for Kim Basinger as Best Supporting Actress.

In addition to the added footage, the bonus materials for The Natural: Director’s Cut contain more than 10 featurettes, which include new interviews with Robert Redford and Glenn Close, as well as professionals from the sports broadcasting and baseball worlds. The featurettes consist of the four-part documentary Extra Innings, the three-part “making of” documentary When Lightning Strikes, A Natural Gunned Down: The Stalking of Eddie Waitkus, Clubhouse Conversations, Knights in Shining Armor: The Mythology of “The Natural,” and a video introduction by director Barry Levinson. This must-own DVD for all baseball fans will be available for $24.94 SRP.

Directed by five-time Academy Award nominee Levinson (winning Best Director for Rain Man, 1989), The Natural spins the magical tale of an unknown middle-aged batter named Roy Hobbs (Redford) who appears out of nowhere to take a losing 1930s baseball team to the top of the league in this sports fantasy. With the aid of a bat hewn from a lightning struck tree, Hobbs experiences the fame he should have had earlier when, as a rising pitcher, he was inexplicably shot by a young woman. In addition to Academy Award winner Redford (Best Director, Ordinary People, 1981), the exceptional cast includes five-time Academy Award nominee Glenn Close (The Big Chill, Fatal Attraction), Academy Award winner Kim Basinger (Best Supporting Actress, L.A. Confidential, 1998), Wilford Brimley (Cocoon), Academy Award nominee Barbara Hershey (Best Supporting Actress, Portrait of a Lady, 1996), Robert Prosky (Mrs. Doubtfire), two-time Academy Award nominee Richard Farnsworth (Comes a Horseman, The Straight Story), Joe Don Baker (Walking Tall, Tomorrow Never Dies), and Michael Madsen (Kill Bill).

DVD Special Features Include:
• Featurette: A Natural Gunned Down: The Stalking of Eddie Waitkus
• Featurette: Clubhouse Conversations
• Featurette: Extra Innings 1: Slow Motion
• Featurette: Extra Innings 2: Uniform Color
• Featurette: Extra Innings 3: The Sandberg Game
• Featurette: Extra Innings 4: The President’s Question
• Featurette: Knights in Shining Armor: The Mythology of The Natural
• Featurette: The Heart of The Natural
• Featurette: When Lightning Strikes: Creating The Natural Part 1 – Pre-Game: A Novelist Steps Up to the Plate
• Featurette: When Lightning Strikes: Creating The Natural Part 2 – The Line-Up: Assembling the Movie-Making Team
• Featurette: When Lightning Strikes: Creating The Natural Part 3 – Let’s Play Ball: Filming the Show
• Video Introduction by Barry Levinson
• Digitally Remastered Audio and Video
• Audio: English, Japanese, Portuguese 5.1 (Dolby Digital
• Subtitles: English, Japanese, French

The Natural has a run time of approximately 144 minutes and is rated PG. Artwork is available at www.SPHEPUBLICITY.COM. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

DVD Catalog # 18408
UPC Code: 0-43396-18408-4
Order Date: 3/1/07
SLP: $24.94

Mr. Cinema 01-31-07 08:50 PM

This set looks loaded. This is easily my favorite sports film.

FantasticVSDoom 01-31-07 09:02 PM

Nice... Guess I will pick this up since its Sony and no way for HD-DVD.

Tenacious D 02-01-07 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
This set looks loaded. This is easily my favorite sports film.

Same here. I'm excited about this set.

DVD Josh 02-01-07 07:23 AM

All I have to say is...

"Pick me out a winner, Bobby"

CardiffGiant 02-01-07 01:02 PM

Thanks OP. This is one of my favorites, but I never got around to buying it. I guess I can finally retire the VHS version. And yes, I know that sounds ridiculous.

DJariya 02-01-07 01:08 PM

Haven't seen this movie since I was 11 years old back in 1984. From what I remember of it, I loved it.

Looks like an awesome DVD. Definitely a must buy.

Geofferson 02-01-07 01:09 PM

A re-cutting of the first act...now I'm really intrigued. :up:

LaxBandit 02-01-07 10:20 PM

Well this is an easy double dip for me - as yours truly was in the movie.

LB...

Cameron 02-27-07 09:04 PM

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...V44179800_.jpg

kevin75 02-27-07 11:46 PM

wow, that cover isn't even that bad.

animatedude 03-25-07 07:05 AM

The Natural Gift Set

any actual pix of this are welcome.

shacmasta 03-25-07 01:48 PM

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US...ral_ff6600.jpg

I'm definitly in for one of these.

Cameron 03-26-07 12:16 AM

yah....i'm buying that

gotrice487 03-26-07 12:55 AM

If that gift set is an exclusive...Best Buy here I come!

bareva 03-26-07 02:55 AM

I'm there.

darkside 03-26-07 07:55 AM

Have the original on DVD, but this one is a must buy. Hopefully Sony puts all the extra on the Blu-ray version. If not I will just buy it on DVD. Considering how cheap the gift set is I may buy both anyway.

Harold Wazzu 03-26-07 07:12 PM

Damn for only $6 more, that giftset is a steal!

Cameron 04-03-07 11:01 PM

got the gift set tonight. 22.99 here in nashville. 6 more on the shelf as of 8:30 pm

The hat has a velcro strap, and is descent but not great. THe baseball is chump. Poorly wound and such, has a few knots (bumps) around the stiching. It comes in a baseball bat colored box that also holds the baseball cards at the bottom.

dvd is still sealed inside.