Reload this Page >

What's Up With Altman Releases?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-10-07, 06:47 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So many Altman films yet to be released on DVD....I've been waiting for them forever, and thought that now, because of his death, we might see some release dates, but there have been one.

Come Back to The 5 & Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean
Brewster McCloud
Health
Steamers
Thieves Like Us
A proper special edition of Nashville.
The Laundromat (TV movie, but still great)

What gives?
Old 01-10-07, 08:27 PM

The problem with most of those is that none of them (except for Nashville of course) are widely regarded as great films, even good films by a lot of measures. Nobody saw them when they played in the theater and the companies think nobody will buy them now either. And they're probably right to a certain degree. However, his death seems to have attracted a legion of fanboys that love him all of a sudden so the companies may have to reevaluate their decision and decide if there is a big enough market to justify production and distribution costs.
Old 01-10-07, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most of Altman's films lost money or barely broke even theatrically, so those films are hardly exceptional in that regard. Box-office aside, Thieves Like Us is frequently ranked with his best and Come Back to the Five and Dime is generally considered among the best (if not the best) of his '80s work. It's also based on a well-known play that's still performed by repertory companies (as is Streamers), unlike, say, Images and Quintet, which have little appeal beyond the most die-hard Altman fans. And the fact that O.C. and Stiggs and Beyond Therapy (which are worse than anything on that list, bar The Laundromat which I've never seen) are both readily available is pretty strong evidence that the quality of the film isn't the paramount factor at work here.

Last edited by Dan Average; 01-10-07 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-10-07, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dav725
A proper special edition of Nashville.
With all of the deleted footage - after reading Jan Stuart's fantastic book on the film, I'm very curious to see it. We also need That Cold Day In The Park on DVD.

Last edited by NoirFan; 01-10-07 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-11-07, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by dav725
So many Altman films yet to be released on DVD....I've been waiting for them forever
It's not been that painful for you as a few other countries have given us a couple of those on DVD including a great Streamers transfer.
Old 01-11-07, 01:02 AM

According to a chat with Warner Home Video last year, Brewster McCloud is supposed to be released this year.

I would love a proper special edition of Nashville. Last week, I had an opportunity to see the movie on the big screen and I appreciate it a lot more that I ever did before.
Old 01-11-07, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts
The problem with most of those is that none of them (except for Nashville of course) are widely regarded as great films, even good films by a lot of measures.
You are incorrect.

I would also add That Cold Day in the Park and Countdown to the list.

If you have a multi-region player, Thieves Like Us is available in other regions from MGM. It is one of Altman's best films and really deserves a region 1 release.
Old 01-11-07, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jaymole
You are incorrect.

I would also add That Cold Day in the Park and Countdown to the list.

If you have a multi-region player, Thieves Like Us is available in other regions from MGM. It is one of Altman's best films and really deserves a region 1 release.
Thieves Like Us is excellent. It reminded me of Badlands.
Old 01-11-07, 12:13 PM
Cool New Member

Altman

The rights on many of the Altman titles, such as 5 and Dime, reverted back to Altman's production company Sandcastle 8. I'm sure they will eventually see the light of day, just give time for the estate to work it out. I figure Thieves Like Us has not appeared since the UA library has moved distrib. so much. Hell, I'm still Waiting for Fistful of Dollars and a Few Dollars More special editions in R1 for 3 years now...
I would be curious to see the uncut TV version of Vincent and Theo also.
Old 01-11-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cornyt
Thieves Like Us is excellent. It reminded me of Badlands.
I was reading a book if interviews by the guy who wrote 'Easy Riders, Raging Bulls', and in that is an interview with Sissy Spacek from about '72 or '73 (after shooting 'Badlands', but before it was released) in which she says that Malick was very very worried about 'Thieves Like Us', because he was afraid they'd be too similar and Altman's movie would steal his attention.
Old 01-11-07, 06:55 PM
Cool New Member

N*a*s*h*v*i*l*l*e

In my opinion, Nashville is his true masterpiece (although I love 3 Women, The Player and Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean). Apparently there was HOURS of unused footage left on the cutting room floor...so much so that they initially were talking about releasing it in 2 parts. I've never heard mention of where that other footage might be, and Paramount's dvd release is pretty minor. I wonder that now, with Altman no longer alive, there is no one to really champion a more complete edition.

And true, there might not be millions of dollars awaiting the release of his other films, but certainly a box set release, mixing good with bad (yeah, he did make some stinkers)...might be the way to go. When Fox released the first Altman box set, I was amazed to see that A Perfect Couple was a terrific movie. Very touching, very odd, but memorable. But even his worst films have their own, wonderful pleasures.