Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Whatever happened to the all-time best dvd lists?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-07, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently while flipping throughout countless webpages of dvd sites, I have been struggling to find what was my favorite compilation of the best dvds on the market (or OOP) today. I remembered on a yearly basis there was a poll and someone would list and describe the top 100 dvds in a countdown fashion. I found the link here but could not pull up any of the pages. I really enjoyed seeing what the masses (or at least those who voted considered the best) and would like to see how "Fight Club" and T2:UE would hold up after countless new titles have been released. Does anyone know what happened or if there will ever be a new list in the future?

Thanks
Old 01-11-07, 03:02 PM

It works for me

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/top100dvd/91100.html

although it looks like it has not been updated in several years.

Last edited by Tomboymama; 01-11-07 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-11-07, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
DVDJournal still has their Editor's Top 25 list and it's fairly updated.
Old 01-11-07, 09:06 PM

Hey. Thanks for the link. Glad to find something that provides a nice, updated listing. I figured Seven Samurai would have cracked the top ten if a list would ever be updated.
Old 01-11-07, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TomOpus
DVDJournal still has their Editor's Top 25 list and it's fairly updated.
Not sure how they can have Taxi Driver in there when it doesen't even have the commentary track from the laserdisc.
Old 01-12-07, 07:07 AM

I'm surprised T2 didn't make the cut.
Old 01-12-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_santucci
I'm surprised T2 didn't make the cut.
It's been diluted with two separate special editions that have their own merits.

I'm surprised to still see Brazil so highly regarded. The extras may be great, but with all the uproar over anamorphic being so important (see Star Wars, original trilogy), it's shocking to see a non-anamorphic disc with an old transfer continue to be praised. Then again, they could mean the new edition that is anamorphic, but I'm not sure they do.
Old 01-12-07, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
It's been diluted with two separate special editions that have their own merits.

I'm surprised to still see Brazil so highly regarded. The extras may be great, but with all the uproar over anamorphic being so important (see Star Wars, original trilogy), it's shocking to see a non-anamorphic disc with an old transfer continue to be praised. Then again, they could mean the new edition that is anamorphic, but I'm not sure they do.
Even though T2 has multiple editions, the Ultimate Edition is still, I think, one of the best collections of features and material ever composited. I do think Brazil's top spot is based on the new release and its popularly among present day film audiences. My guess is film stature was a major factor in the list's compilation. Otherwise, I doubt the Hitchcock films would be ranked so high. Vertigo is my all-time favorite film, but as a DVD it isn't what I would call as complete as Notorious: CC or Strangers on a Train.
Old 01-12-07, 11:31 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why not the T2 pair? They do the par of Spinal Tap.
Old 01-12-07, 11:34 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also what's a "Bretonian" (used in the Fight Club dscription)? I'm guessing "Brechtian" ... ?
Old 01-12-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Criterion recently re-released the Brazil 3-disc with new anamorphic transfers.

I'd love to see a revival of the top 100 list though, reading it brings back memories. Hard to believe that it was four years ago.
Old 01-12-07, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Simpson Purist
Criterion recently re-released the Brazil 3-disc with new anamorphic transfers.

I'd love to see a revival of the top 100 list though, reading it brings back memories. Hard to believe that it was four years ago.
Yeah. I really enjoyed seeing them come out yearly. Maybe someone with a lot of interest can take a new poll and compile a list resembling the lists from the past. This could be especially intriguing now that DVD seems to be reaching a decline phase with the new technologies surfacing recently.
Old 01-12-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to work with the guy who runs that site. He's had Brazil on there since well before the anamorphic release.

Two things to consider. This is his personal top 25 and isn't meant to represent any one else. Second, I think the movies make it on that list based off the movie combined with the DVD release. It doesn't have to have the great DVD features or be on the AFI top 100 list.

Personally I think it's a great list and I think I have 22 of the 25 listed.
Old 01-12-07, 05:08 PM

http://cinema-review.com/dvd/000018/index.php